Share Tips On How Not To Gain Weight On A Cruise!!!

mjfeaster

I totally agree, one needs to lose a few kg prior to the cruise..We do the longer cruises, 21 to 32 days, thus the weight stacks on over that time.

It is unfortunate for me that my cruise motto is 'IT'S THERE, YOU PAID FOR IT, YOU EAT IT. !

Sad I know.:rolleyes: But I thnk many of us are the same on the ships.:o

And I don't even eat cakes and desserts, truly. Its the hash browns and corn beef hash!

Don't butter your bread, Switch from coffee w/ cream to herbal teas straight up (it's much better than the concentrated sludge they call coffee anyway you look at it), take the stairs, choose the clear soups, try the sugar free desserts, walk around the promenade a few times daily.

To the OP. I think its rude to make a comment like you did and you know what I mean and then to not offer an apology. You made it personal when it was not at all, just honest advice. Its you who is behaving self-righteously. Good bye.

Haven't been on the board this week. If I misunderstood your post then I am truly sorry...It did sound kind of rude to me and I guess I'm just tired of some of the people in this cruise critic forum who are so mean and rude...I don't get it...we are all just trying to get advice. I took your post as kind of a lecture and any person who has to really watch what they eat never appreciates...just put the fork down, or people who think if they can stay fit then why can't you. There are many reasons people overeat just like...smoking, drinking, gambling, sex adiction, power addiction, I could go on. Obviously Self restraint is important but it is a great struggle for some vices...we are only human and some of us are weak in areas and strong in others...nobody is 100% all of the time. Anyway, I'm not going to go around and around on this topic. All I wanted on this forum was some advice because I wanted to make sure I don't gain any of my weight back. I don't think their is a topic posted in this forum that doesn't have some conflict. Anyway, no worries. I appreciate all of the positive advice and great suggestions I have read.:D PLEASE, IF ANY OF YOU CRUISERS HAVE ANY THING TO SAY OTHER THAN FRIENDLY TIPS, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE JUST MOVE ON TO ANOTHER THREAD AND LET THIS ONE DIE ALREADY. Larry, no hard feelings...just misunderstood you. :-)

I eat the fresh made sorbet every night for dessert, I satisfy my sweet tooth but its very low in calories. I also never eat the bread at dinner because once I start, I can't stop because its so good!

Finally, never take an Ambien (sleeping pill) and then go to the buffet, you might be eating plates of sweets without even knowing it! LOL

Haven't been on the board this week. If I misunderstood your post then I am truly sorry...It did sound kind of rude to me and I guess I'm just tired of some of the people in this cruise critic forum who are so mean and rude...I don't get it...we are all just trying to get advice. I took your post as kind of a lecture and any person who has to really watch what they eat never appreciates...just put the fork down, or people who think if they can stay fit then why can't you. There are many reasons people overeat just like...smoking, drinking, gambling, sex adiction, power addiction, I could go on. Obviously Self restraint is important but it is a great struggle for some vices...we are only human and some of us are weak in areas and strong in others...nobody is 100% all of the time. Anyway, I'm not going to go around and around on this topic. All I wanted on this forum was some advice because I wanted to make sure I don't gain any of my weight back. I don't think their is a topic posted in this forum that doesn't have some conflict. Anyway, no worries. I appreciate all of the positive advice and great suggestions I have read.:D PLEASE, IF ANY OF YOU CRUISERS HAVE ANY THING TO SAY OTHER THAN FRIENDLY TIPS, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE JUST MOVE ON TO ANOTHER THREAD AND LET THIS ONE DIE ALREADY. Larry, no hard feelings...just misunderstood you. :-)

Thank you. It takes a gentelman to do what you did and I appreciate that. I had no intention to lecture you. My purpose was to make a point about what I think is important or really completely necessary inre to weight maintainence and that is sometimes you just have to say no to yourself. Its just not worth it. For exampe one cookie at say 200 cals. requires a two mile walk to burn off. I too like to have fun on these boards and this is why I avoid Fodors lounge. :D Anyway best of luck and to heck with the naysayers. Who needs them? ;)

I went on a 17 night Celebrity cruise to S. America and I lost 10 pounds! I ate desserts and anything I wanted. Not tiny portions either. I didn't go near the gym or treadmill. I swam in the pool and on shore. At least 30 minutes of treading water a day. I did a lot more walking than normal. In ports and on the ship. I ate regular meals. Not huge heaping plates of buffet food. We ate in the main dining room for lunch when possible.

:confused: ? I don't want to obsess:eek: with weight worry on the cruise, but little things can help.

Count the calories when you get back from your cruise otherwise stay homeicon9.gif

Why be so rude? Would you say the same thing to a diabetic who came to these boards seeking advice on how to manage their sugars? "Well if your worried about your health just stay home!"

Weight control, exercise and healthy eating are important topics to many here as evidenced by the number of helpful answers the OP received. If this topic annoys you why not just pass it by. There really is no need to make unkind remarks.

If this topic annoys you why not just pass it by. There really is no need to make unkind remarks.

OOPS Sorry if my remark offended you no harm was intended, Actually the first cruise we ever went on this is what the Captain told us. I think the remark was made for everyone to enjoy the food on board.icon5.gif

If this topic annoys you why not just pass it by. There really is no need to make unkind remarks.

OOPS Sorry if my remark offended you no harm was intended, Actually the first cruise we ever went on this is what the Captain told us. I think the remark was made for everyone to enjoy the food on board.icon5.gif

Sorry if I misunderstood. If you have a chance to read through the whole thread you will see that the OP asked people not to tell her to stay home as that wasn't the type of advice she was seeking. So when I read your comment I thought you were attempting to make a smart comment at the OP's expense. Thanks for explaining.

As our next cruise is rapidly approaching, I find this thread to be a valuable reminder of how important it is for many of us to maintain a healthy lifestyle while still enjoying our vacation time.

As a diabetic with hypertension and a pair of stents in my heart, I'm well aware of how dangerous a sudden weight gain can be. Since acquiring the stents I have learned more about heart healthy living and eating and I've found that it's not too hard to maintain the good habits while cruising. Here are a few of the most important steps I take.

1. We eat a healthy breakfast every day, including egg beaters, fruit and no fatty meats like bacon or sausage.

2. Lunch is a salad or portion controlled protein and more fruit.

3. Lots of water all day long.

4. Avoid the ice cream and snacks.

5. Stay away from the froo froo drinks and most alcohol.

6. We do enjoy wine, and while at home it's usually no more than a glass with dinner, on our cruises we splurge this way. We enjoy a glass (or two) of wine in our cabin before dinner, often with friends or fellow passengers. I get a plate of vegetables and fruit and cheese and maybe some unsalted crackers from the buffet and bring it back to the cabin to snack on with the wine. I find it helps curb my appetite for dinner. If we want another glass of wine with dinner, we'll order it in the dining room, or often (to save money) we'll pour another glass and carry it with us to the dining room. We've never had any problems doing this.

7, Sensible choices at dinner, often from the spa menu options. And if I want desert, I've found that the sugar free options are almost always as good, if not better, than the fancy sweet ones.

8. Finally, we always use the stairs, and we walk as much as we can during the day, and at night. We enjoy the shows after dinner and make a point of taking the long way back to our cabin when it's over. And based on what I've been reading here today, I think I might be asking MrsRedPony if she'd like to go dancing before we bed down for the night;)

Speaking of calories in a Pina Colada, does anyone know of a calorie or carb guide available for mixed drinks? Maybe the bartender will know the count. Ya right!

Here is a list of Weight Watchers points for alcoholic beverages:

http://www.dottisweightlosszone.com/WWinfo/liquor.html

I've found that on average, 1 point = 50 calories.

Bloody Mary will be my very best friend on my upcoming 13-night cruise!

I have a question...are scales normally available in the gyms?

• 3 months later...

Thank you for your advice on keeping healthy on a cruise.

DH & I are planning our first cruise in Nov 09 and we are in "cruise control" right now....so looking at ways to keep our health on this cruise.

We are both planning to take some weight off before the cruise and hope not to put any on.

We are planning the 28 days on DP around OZ....so there will be a lot of opportunities to overindulge.

We plan to walk the deck & swim each day....which we do now anyway, most days.

DH is diabetic so the sugar-free desserts look a great option and I'm really pleased to see the fat free dressings available and healthy choices.

OUR PLAN

* Walk & lap swim 1 hour before breakfast, everyday

* Eat low GI continental breakfast of cereal, fruit, and yoghurt -maybe with an egg white omelette

* Enjoy AM activities on board ie trivia, golf game, dance class etc

* Eat light lunch of grill protein, salad or veggies with a lemon dressing, maybe fresh fruit sorbet for dessert.

* Enjoy PM activities

* Walk & lap swim 1 hour before dinner

* Quiet time & prepare for dinner

* Dinner in the dinning room eating only entree size-sauces on the side-grilled not fried food-no butter or fat, with lots of veggies & salad-no dressing. definately a no sugar dessert-yum

* After dinner take in a show or some live entertainment-limited alcohol

* Dance the night away or late night swim after the on deck movie and stroll around the deck before bedtime

RULES

NEVER

eat in the cabin

eat seconds

eat until full

ALWAYS

do min. 1 hour exercise a day

drink min. 2 litres of water

stroll around the deck before bedtime

Yep! We are going to enjoy the on board experience rather than the ports.

Thanks for this thread; it has helped us focus on the healthy aspect of cruising :rolleyes:

Bubbs & Blues

I'm on Weight Watchers, but when I'm on a cruise, I don't worry too much about dieting or staying on program. I eat what I want, and as much as I want. I do increase my activity but using the stairs and swimming. Last year, I gained 2 pounds, and this year, I gained 7 pounds. However, a lot of that is water retention because cruise food is notoriously salty, and I lost all the weight over the following week.

As someone else said, I watch my weight all year round, but not while on vacation. Otherwise, I'd feel deprived and I wouldn't have the willpower to stay on program throughout the rest of the year.

Hi Donna,

I am also a Weight Watcher. I had a heart attack 1 1/2 years ago. At my doctor visit before our cruise in the Eastern Med he told me to eat what I want and enjoy everything. He continued "you are a Weight Watcher" and know exactly what to do when you get home". I saw my cardiologist again last month and told him about my upcoming cruise. He again said to enjoy all the good food on ship and at the Laua in Hawaii, Weight Watchers will always be there when you get home. ENJOY!!! Oh,you should know I gained 5 pounds on the Med cruise and took it off right after I got home.

Judee

Thank you for your advice on keeping healthy on a cruise.

DH & I are planning our first cruise in Nov 09 and we are in "cruise control" right now....so looking at ways to keep our health on this cruise.

We are both planning to take some weight off before the cruise and hope not to put any on.

We are planning the 28 days on DP around OZ....so there will be a lot of opportunities to overindulge.

We plan to walk the deck & swim each day....which we do now anyway, most days.

DH is diabetic so the sugar-free desserts look a great option and I'm really pleased to see the fat free dressings available and healthy choices.

Yep! We are going to enjoy the on board experience rather than the ports.[/i]

Thanks for this thread; it has helped us focus on the healthy aspect of cruising :rolleyes:

Bubbs & Blues

Your regimen sounds quite good. Thank you for sharing. :)

If I may share my own experience, it would be to avoid white veggies, grains and their products, such as, potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, etc. If they are available on your voyage, the substitutes are brown rice, whole wheat bread, whole grain pasta, etc. If they are not available and I want one of the white items, I request some olive oil on the side to add to them. A little goes a long way. It slows down the digestion of the white items and gives me a sense of fullness that helps me control my weight. I tend to be hypoglycemic and find that these substitutions help me to better control my health and my weight.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

When we began cruising eight years ago I was terrified of weight gain.

My DH and I are both overweight and constantly watch what we eat.

For what it's worth, I go with the motto of "pick your poison", select what you enjoy most and forgo the rest. For me it is dessert, My DH, breads, our kids pizza and pasta. I remind them if they have pizza( or whatever) one day then no ice cream, that day, etc.

We have always loved the Aqua Spa food on Celebrity which helps.

And of course the basics:

always take the stairs

stay away from buffets and high caloric drinks

just be resonable.

As someone who gains weight just looking at food, I have never gained on a cruise.On the last cruise day I often taste all the items I ignored ( a few fries, bite of a burger.. ) and it is satisfying to know I did not miss much!

Lots of good ideas, so I will try not to repeat any.

Sometimes I get our of breath after two or three flights of stairs. I find that if I just walk over to the next flight of stairs, I'm ready to go again.

Sometimes I go to the buffet for lunch, sometimes I go the dining room. I almost always check out the dining room menu first - and then choose what I REALLY want to do. at the buffet, I start with just very small amounts of items that I think I might like. (More of a taste than a meal.) I usually find that it is enough food, and I don't need to go back. (I discovered this one by accident, and actually fully intended to get more.) If I go back for more, I only get the things I really loved.

I try to eat a fairly balanced "diet" but I do not waste any calories on things I don't love. I'm more into meat, seafood and appetizers, so I often won't eat the bread or desserts.

I try so send a gift bottle of vodka to the stateroom - and then take the small packets of Crystal Lite, and mix my own drinks. No calories for the mixers! Otherwise I stick to wine.

As others have mentioned, it can be very uncomfortable to be "overstuffed". I try to remember that and not overeat at any one meal - there is always more food available if I'm actually hungry.

Archived