Canceling cruise and getting money back??

want2cruiseagain

We are scheduled to go on Ecstasy tomorrow. Ike is in the gulf. Friends of ours who are going want to cancel. They think it will be dangerous. I say no, they will steer the ship away from the storm as best as possible. They did not purchase insurance and think that if they cancel, Carnival will give them their money back. I say no. At this point Carnival is not canceling our cruise.

I'm counting on the cruise critic folks to give the correct answer to this question.

I have been cruising in Hurricane Season for 8 Years now and havent even been near one when they were around, beleive me the Capt. Knows what he's doing they have all kinds if alternate plans and places to cruise to, Im going This Sunday On The Conquest out of Galveston and Our cruise hasn't been cancelled yet, and Im driving down friday Morning if I havent heard anything from Carnival or Galvestons Emergency Management center!!;) Hey put a couple of big rocks in each pocket and youll stay grounded tell your friends!!:D :p

Best regards&Happy Cruising!!

Robert

We are sailing on the 15th and want you to go so we can go! We are anxiously watching it, too. you only get your money back if they cancel and I don't think they will. If anything, you might get an extra day at sea, which would be our worst case scenario.

I am also on the Ecstasy and have no doubt that Carnival will keep its passengers safe. Rough seas should be expected. I will have to cancel because my traveling companion lives in the expected path of Ike and has to evacuate. I am unable to find anyone willing to go with me at this late day. There is always that chance that Ike could swing a little north as it comes in and move more toward Galveston.

Carnival will steer away from the storms... and you and your friends will have a great time. :)

However, There is no refund for your friends this close to the cruise.

Carnival refund policy states:

RESERVATIONS: TERMS AND CONDITIONS

Cancellation Policy:

A cancellation occurs when a guest reservation is released and not simultaneously rebooked on the same sailing. If a cancellation occurs within the time specified, the following charges will be assessed:

2, 3, 4, and 5 day cruises

Up to 61 days, full refund (except for Cruise-To-Nowhere*)

60 to 30 days, Deposit forfitted

29 to 8 days, 50% of Total Fare forfitted

7 days or less, 100% of Total Fare forfitted

6, 7 and 8 day cruises

Up to 76 days, full refund

75 to 30 days, Deposit forfitted

29 to 8 days, 50% of Total Fare forfitted

7 days or less, 100% of total fare forfitted

We just got of our cruise a few weeks ago, we were between Fay and Gusthav, so I was really concerned about the cruise being cancelled or re-routed.

Bottom line: As far as I understand, there have only been a few (2-3?) cruised actually cancelled due to weather. They do alter ports of call, but the cruise goes on!

Go for it! You WILL be safe. What others have said is right: they will not refund your friends.

I am also on the Ecstasy and have no doubt that Carnival will keep its passengers safe. Rough seas should be expected. I will have to cancel because my traveling companion lives in the expected path of Ike and has to evacuate. I am unable to find anyone willing to go with me at this late day. There is always that chance that Ike could swing a little north as it comes in and move more toward Galveston.

You are paid for and will have a great time! There are lots of singles on board and you will still have a great time! Think about it.

Thanks everyone. We never had any intention of canceling because of this storm because I knew that they would pick alternative places to go. I have assured everyone in our party that the good folks at cruise critic would not "steer" us in the wrong direction. I am hoping they will change their minds and go with us.

Why would they cancel the cruise? The ship leaves from Galveston, and if the hurricane goes that way, the ship is a lot safer at sea than in port. So, they will sail...somewhere...But if there was a hurricane headed that way, I'm not sure I would want to leave my vehicle parked near the port...EM

Thanks- I have thought of going solo, but the rough seas for at least 2 of the days and the thought of leaving my family here should the storm turn a little north out weigh going solo!

Yes Your family can take care of themselves;) , I have Four Daughters and they have traveled the world, it does'nt mean I wasnt worried about them but hey youve got to spread your wings sometimes, get you some Bonine or Ginger for motion sickness if you are prone to that, also ginger ale works too!! They have a big Ocean to choose from and plan for these things!;) And you might have a few waves, but have a drink or two and you wont even know if the Boats rocking!!:p That is if your Old enough!!;) Enjoy yourself and Use Text Messaging to stay in touch with the famly it's cheaper 20 cents a message,for me with Cingular AT&T!!;).Whatever you decide it's your decision,Good Luck!!

Why would they cancel the cruise? The ship leaves from Galveston, and if the hurricane goes that way, the ship is a lot safer at sea than in port. So, they will sail...somewhere...But if there was a hurricane headed that way, I'm not sure I would want to leave my vehicle parked near the port...EM

We've worked that one out, so no problem with leaving car at the port.

We were on the fascination when Fay blew through... we were scheduled to go to Key West and Cozumel with one day at sea. Our cruise ended up being 2 days at sea and went to Grand Turk. We received a $25.00 OBC because we only did one port. Still had a great time... it was better than being here at work :D

You only get a refund if Carnival cancels.

We were just on the Ecstasy on the 3 day cruise to nowhere thanks to Gustav.

We were suppose to leave Monday.

On Sunday morning 11AM, we were notified by Carnival that our cruise would be a 3 day cruise to nowhere.

We had the option of cancelling and getting a full refund

OR take the shorter cruise and get a 50% refund AND 50% discount off a future cruise.

We took the 3 day cruise to nowhere. The 50% refund (which was 50% of our cruise fare, gov't taxes and fuel surcharge) has already been credited to our credit card.

We have already booked a cruise to use the 50% discount and that has been applied as well. No hassle at all with either.

We are thrilled with the outcome.

Because of the 50% discount...hubby let me book a penthouse suite on the Fantasy for January!! (we have never done a suite)

I LOVE HURRICANE SEASON!!!

I would recommend that you use Lighthouse Parking in Galveston.

Their lot is a little higher in elevation!!

They also shuttle you to the port for free.

You simply drop off your luggage at the pier...come out the terminal exit and take a right, then take the 2nd left. You will see them about a block up!!

I have been cruising in Hurricane Season for 8 Years now and havent even been near one when they were around, beleive me the Capt. Knows what he's doing they have all kinds if alternate plans and places to cruise to, Im going This Sunday On The Conquest out of Galveston and Our cruise hasn't been cancelled yet, and Im driving down friday Morning if I havent heard anything from Carnival or Galvestons Emergency Management center!!;) Hey put a couple of big rocks in each pocket and youll stay grounded tell your friends!!:D :p

Best regards&Happy Cruising!!

Robert

Good luck, but I doubt that you cruise out of Galveston this weekend. They have now posted the watches and the warnings are coming soon. The latest predictions are that IKE is going to hit the coast as a CAT 4. They are not going to let you anywhere near the coast on Friday morning.

Archived