kimono pics

midnight sushi

Actually, I am still kicking myself for not buying one in Japan .... I only bought a silk robe and a happy coat .. WHAT was I thinking ??

me too. on my trips there i got too lazy or too busy to buy one.

oh well, next time. :)

To the OP,

I don't understand what you're asking for in your post. You want pix of people wearing kimono's? Japanese people? Westerners?

Those are beautiful. I do think that they are so intricate and beautiful that the ladies who have their short or hair up look much better than the ladies who have their hair down. I just think it shows off the beauty of the dresses and makes them look more formal.

Kimono's are incredibly beautfiul, as well as expensive. An average one sells for over $7000, and I've seen many in Japan for over $20,000. The cheapest ones, with very little ornamentation sell for about $2000.

In 1985 while still in college in the states I was an English teacher for an exchange program. I lived with a kimono seamstress and her husband who was an executive for IBM. I'd come home at night and she'd have yards of beautiful fabric spread out on the floor and she'd be sewing my hand. Little did I know at the end of my tenure I was presented with two beautiful "Yukatas" (summer weight kimono) that she sewed by hand. It was TORTUROUS being wrapped up in it and forget the toilet..especially the Japanese style that you squat over..it took two women to "wrap" me correctly. I wore one of them at my going away party held by my students. I also have the obi (the bows) and all the sashes. I had them preserved.

One of them is deep blue with lots of reds, whites, varying shades of blues and the other is white with greens, reds, blues. The obis are red.

I would never wear one on a cruise..too much work to put on the right way, and I could never get mine to "hang" on me the way my "Japanese mother" (as I called her) could. And honestly, even if it's wrapped on you correctly it still doesn't have the same beautiful "effect" that it does as when it's on a Japanese woman (my opinion)

Kimono's are incredibly beautfiul, as well as expensive. An average one sells for over $7000, and I've seen many in Japan for over $20,000. The cheapest ones, with very little ornamentation sell for about $2000.

Sheesh. I would have NEVER seen that in the pic - way too dark.

So...what is the point of the pic? Not sure I understand your method of communicating. :o

Me neither, I even enlarged it last night but didn't see anything. Don't know how the thumbnail came up so light. Now that I know what we're looking for, I could see it tonight by ENLARGING once again.

This thread was like pulling teeth to figure out what was going on. Maybe this is the point; here's a picture of someone wearing a kimono on formal night. It's very dark but here's also a thumbnail so you can see it. Has anyone else ever seen anyone wearing a kimono on formal night and do you have a picture that you can post?;)

I finally saw the lady in the kimono.

It takes one--two people to help 'dress' a lady properly. I agree that it would be a lot of work to take a kimono on a cruise and then figure out how to get dressed in one (plus the bathroom situation--hmm!)

to answer the OP question: no, I have never seen a kimono on formal night in over 13 cruises

Kimonos can be purchased from reputable sellers in Japan for much less than that. I collect antique Japanese textiles, and have seen attractive new kimono for well under $1000. In the US, they tend to get marked up quite a bit.

Archived