kimono pics

midnight sushi

Midnight Sushi ...what are you asking? You have asked us for pictures of people wearing kimonos on ships, then you post two yourself.

Are you specifically asking for pictures of the group from when you were on Sovereign? Are you looking for BETTER pictures of people wearing kimonos? Is this a riddle?

Perhaps English is not your first language, but you need to give us more information if you want us to be helpful!

kimono.jpg

kimono0073.jpg

kimono7.jpg

It looks like the ladies in the third picture are having a good time dressing in a fun way. Their "kimonos" look like robes and their "obis" like scarves or whatever was on hand. They are wearing thongs or slippers. It's pretty clear they were "dressing up" (as in costume) rather than 'dressing up" as in formal). I don't think this was a formal night (I think I see jeans on someone on the left).

IMO an authentic kimono (or other traditional ethnic dress) , worn appropriately with all the requisite accoutrements, can be quite appropiaiate for formal night. I do think this usually works best on those who actually share the heritage the clothing reflects.

I can't imagine that a cruiser would want expend the time and effort to wear a kimono correctly, particularly considering how restictive the outcome (Thanks, Gathina, for your post on the difficulties :eek: of wearing an authentic kimono)

It looks like the ladies in the third picture are having a good time dressing in a fun way. Their "kimonos" look like robes and their "obis" like scarves or whatever was on hand. They are wearing thongs or slippers. It's pretty clear they were "dressing up" (as in costume) rather than 'dressing up" as in formal). I don't think this was a formal night (I think I see jeans on someone on the left).

That photo isn't from a cruise(none of those photos are as far as I can tell--Jane posted them because the original question wasn't clear about wanting to see photos of women in kimonos on a cruise) , though, so I don't think the comparisons to formal night are apt.

IMO an authentic kimono (or other traditional ethnic dress) , worn appropriately with all the requisite accoutrements, can be quite appropiaiate for formal night. I do think this usually works best on those who actually share the heritage the clothing reflects.

I can't imagine that a cruiser would want expend the time and effort to wear a kimono correctly, particularly considering how restictive the outcome (Thanks, Gathina, for your post on the difficulties :eek: of wearing an authentic kimono)

Huh? I have no idea where your commentary is coming from.

The OP, who's obviously a very poor communicator and writes in cryptic riddles, asked for pics of women wearing kimono's. So that's what I posted, pure and simple. I never said I liked or disliked them, nor did I offer up that the pics I posted were nice, or authentic. I simply gave her what she requested. :)

There's never been any discussion about who, what or why someone would/could/should wear a kimono on a cruise.

Huh? I have no idea where your commentary is coming from.

The OP, who's obviously a very poor communicator and writes in cryptic riddles, asked for pics of women wearing kimono's. So that's what I posted, pure and simple. I never said I liked or disliked them, nor did I offer up that the pics I posted were nice, or authentic. I simply gave her what she requested. :)

There's never been any discussion about who, what or why someone would/could/should wear a kimono on a cruise.

Since the OP made it clear in post #3 she was talking about formal nights, I assumed your post #6 was an attempt to fulfil that request.

My commentary followed 36 posts (Some of which were yours), many of which weren't in direct response to the perceived question of the OP, but instead talked about how much kimonos cost, why one did or did not buy one, where to buy them , who looks best in them, personal experiences with kimonos and (yes) whether some one would wear one on a cruise (#13). I don't see how my remarks are any less appropriate than those.

Wow you look great, if not a little overcome with such a outfit! :D

Jay

may have posted to the wrong name hopefully you know what i mean x

Sorry not me, but not the person I was responding to either.;)

Kathy, who posted the picture, is kicking herself for not buying one. It's someone else....make sense?:)

Kathy,

How are the tootsies?

Since the OP made it clear in post #3 she was talking about formal nights, I assumed your post #6 was an attempt to fulfil that request.

To me, she was as clear as mud. She was still typing gibberish such as, "like on formal night, etc" on post #3. So, in my post #10, I sent her the kimono pix she seemed to be looking for. By post number 30, other people here were still asking her what the heck she was talking about. (especially when she threw in that she wears japanese clothing everyday, so it seemed even more absurd that she needed pix of kimonos) It still remains unclear to most of us. With her final question being if anyone here has had an encounter with a kimono on a ship, I was hearing the music from the Twilight Zone in my head. :D

My commentary followed 36 posts (Some of which were yours), many of which weren't in direct response to the perceived question of the OP, but instead talked about how much kimonos cost, why one did or did not buy one, where to buy them , who looks best in them, personal experiences with kimonos and (yes) whether some one would wear one on a cruise (#13). I don't see how my remarks are any less appropriate than those.

I'm not saying your commentary was inappropriate for the discussion at hand. Not at all. What I'm referring to is that your comments were directed to the pictures I posted earlier in the thread, as if I felt that these photo's were a reflection of a formal night on a ship. They were not and I never thought they were.

• 2 months later...

I have cruised over a dozen times and I have seen Chinese dress, saris, and kilts etc. but never a kimono. However, I have also seen Chinese styled brocade short jackets. Oh, Vietnamese dresses too.

so, as OP can see, kimono dressing is very rare, but of course, it will be seen occasionally, if someone so chooses to pack and wear.

is this perhaps the end of this thread?

• 4 months later...

Archived