Public Humiliation Courtesy of Park West Auctions at Sea

mgmigs

I was on Explorer recently. The art I saw was not something to write home about. But then why cruise to purchase art? If I wanted something above the Velvet Elvis we have here I would go to an art place. We are very pedestrian in our tastes. Well actually we have a sense of humor.

I will sit through some auctions, but on Explorer I saw nothing that even sparked an interest. We all have different taste. But if I was serious in regards to investing in art, I would use other avenues over a cruise ship.

Is there a Park West auction on all RC sailings? Specifically, on the mediterranean sailings? It was my hope that there would NOT be this event as it seems to be such a nuisance and only attended by a small group of people.

Did this happen during the first or second auction? I was also on that sailing and I attended the first art auction and I did not see anything like that going on. The auction that I was at also went on for 3 hours and many people walked out.

But I do agree that Arthur is a jerk!

this was at the 2nd auction. as you remember, he reminded the guests in a "joking" fashion that he was from South Africa and NY'ers don't scare him because where he comes from if there is a disagreement between people they shoot each other!!!

Interesting thread, as my husband used to party with peter maxx back in the 70's. we have several of his pieces, and a 2 inch x 2 inch original we were offered $2500 for. for the sketches, and paintings that range in sizes of 8" x 10", and 2' x3' are worth even more....so whoever paid $500 for one, got a HECKUVA deal!! more power to ya! hang on to it....ya never know!;)

Regardless of the facts of who is lyng, telling the truth or exaggerating, I still can't believe this. I also wanted to mention I don't think we should really accuse the OP here, so far no one that has posted in this thread was at the auction mentioned.

To me, it doesn't matter if the woman exaggerated or even outright lied to the auctioneer about purchasing the artwork for $500. I also find it so rude and obnoxious to tell her that if she could prove, he'd give her his salary. Obviously, this wouldn't be the case and it is so rude to me that someone would say that.

This confirms why I really choose not to partake in art auctions anywhere, much less on a cruise! Of course, this doesn't apply to everyone or even a large percentage of the people, but I find that the people running the auctions are very snobby and rude, and think everyone else is beneath them.

Sorry for ranting...I don't like to do this but this story really bothered me.

i find it possible that she paid what she said. They aren't selling originals anyway right? There is no way that they 25 or so same Picassos on each cruise are originals and if they were would they really be selling them on a cruise ship?

I also wanted to mention I don't think we should really accuse the OP here, so far no one that has posted in this thread was at the auction mentioned.

Unless I missed something, no one has accused the OP of anything. Some of us (myself included) are skeptical of the use of references to public humiliation, threats and warnings - not on the part of the OP but on the part of the lady in question.

To me, it doesn't matter if the woman exaggerated or even outright lied to the auctioneer about purchasing the artwork for $500. I also find it so rude and obnoxious to tell her that if she could prove, he'd give her his salary. Obviously, this wouldn't be the case and it is so rude to me that someone would say that.

One of the limitations of internet communication is that it's minus vocal intonation and intent, therefore dear Arthur's remark (jerk, though Arthur may very well be) may translate into a rude and/or obnoxious comment in print but in actuality, may have been more of a declaration of incredulity and less of a challenge to prove something.

Sorry, but some of the puzzle pieces are missing - and I'm not pointing a finger at the OP. Max for $500 two years ago, public humiliation, threats and warnings...just doesn't fit together from my perspective. Makes good reading, though.

Well, obviously, she should ask for a full refund for the cruise for her humiliation suffered.

No?

Okay then, maybe 20% off a future cruise?

No?

How about a $14.95 steak?

Oh, I'm so bad . . . . . . .

Dolby1000

I need a countdown clock things for the Adventure of the Seas on 11/30/2008.

4 Past cruises

Granduer

Brilliance

Rhapsody (twice)

Right now I can bid on a Peter Max on ebay for $550.00, so she very well may have been able to buy one at the art auction. ;)

Just checked Peter Max on ebay and there's no Mickey Mouse available (except in a four-set suite for $6500 - $8500). There's a $510 Max "Statue of Liberty" bid with a "Buy It Now" price of $8500! Also, a $550 Max "Homage to Picasso" Ltd. Ed. bid with the retail gallery price of $1150 but no "Buy It Now" price. Both the 'statue' and the 'homage' will sell for significantly higher than the current bids or they won't sell at all. Items available in the hundreds of dollars are limited to posters (which Park West does not sell) and assorted Max-related (but not Max) 'stuff.' Still think she bought a Max for $500 two years ago?

Now, I'm about to be evil. These ideas are for fun only, if you use one and some Park West guy gets in your face, it isn't my fault! :D

1) Post it notes with the word "FAKE" written very clearly. Take those and sneakily plant them throughout the art show.

2) Take a loupe and scrutinize a painting very closely muttering about ink jet printers and cheesy reproductions worth about $10.

3) Ask the Park West salesman how the new "Poster Business" is doing.

4) Ask about their recent reviews on Fine Art Registry.

Ok that should be enough to leave any Park West scam artist frothing at the mouth and spluttering like a startled chicken. But, hey let's have a good laugh so please add more.

Now, I'm about to be evil. These ideas are for fun only, if you use one and some Park West guy gets in your face, it isn't my fault! :D

1) Post it notes with the word "FAKE" written very clearly. Take those and sneakily plant them throughout the art show.

2) Take a loupe and scrutinize a painting very closely muttering about ink jet printers and cheesy reproductions worth about $10.

3) Ask the Park West salesman how the new "Poster Business" is doing.

4) Ask about their recent reviews on Fine Art Registry.

Ok that should be enough to leave any Park West scam artist frothing at the mouth and spluttering like a startled chicken. But, hey let's have a good laugh so please add more.

Yes, you are evil...funny, but nonetheless evil! (LOL!)

I go to the auctions sometimes but I skip the champagne. They can be entertaining. Sometimes I nap through them. I like getting my "valuable seriolithograph" at the end just to have a free souvenier.

One lady DID get a bargain on 9/10 on Enchantment of the Seas. She got 2 large pieces of framed carry off art for $160. No shipping charge. I don't remember the artist (LOL) but they were pretty floral pieces. But....the frames were great. No way could you get large custom frames like that even at Micheal's with a coupon.

The art pieces cluttering the public areas make great backdrops for formal night pictures with your own camera.

ok, here is what just happened on the 9/6/08 explorer sailing. hopefully it will be easy to explain, let me know if i am not clear.

at the last auction of the sailing, Arthur, the auctioneer was selling Peter Max artwork. he asked if anyone in the room had ever purchased Peter Max to which one lady raised her hand and said she had, a Peter Max Mickey Mouse rendition, 2 years ago from Park West at Sea with her Park West credit card.

Arthur asked what she paid to which she replied $500.

Arthur said it was impossible for anyone to get Peter Max for $500 and that he knew the price of every Peter Max.

the lady insisted so and in a very condescending way, he told her that if she could prove she bought a Peter Max for $500, he'd give her his salary!

the lady went off and made phone calls while the auction went on. When she returned, I was surprised to see that Arthur did not ask her if she'd gotten the proof b/c he went out of his way to publicly humiliate and discredit her.

after the show, i saw the lady and asked her what happened. she said she had the purchase on her credit card and they (at the desk when you walk in) even wanted from her the address the artwork was sent to!!! Park West looked it up in their system and sure enough, she did in fact make the $500 purchase. They threatened her and warned her to "shut her mouth" because they "had artwork to sell".

now all my doubts about park west have been solidified and it is crystal clear what they are about. i suggested that the lady let someone at RCCL know but i don't know if she followed up with that. she was very upset with how she was spoken to and that she was humiliated for the benefit of a sale.

by the way, Arthur sold very little artwork during the auction and that which he did was pretty inexpensive, so i guess he got what he deserved.

Did you see this first hand?

Let me be the first to suggest ... a Park West boycott!!! :D :D :D

How do you get the 98% of cruises who don't post or even read Cruise Critic to join your "protest"?:D :D

Most people onboard just don't go at all, no boycott needed.

The whole thong is really not that big a deal.

If you really think your going to buy investment art on a cruise ship then your the one with the problem.

OK - I admit it - I actually bought something at the art auction a few years ago. I went for fun and held up my number when a Thomas Kincade lithograph (??) came up, thinking I would be out bid, but I was not. So I cheerfully sucked it up, paid to have it shipped to my home, paid another $150 to have it framed, and now it hangs beautifully over my fireplace. I'm sure I could have gotten something cheaper elsewhere, but I probably never would have spent the money someplace else -- maybe it was that free champagne that sent me over the edge. Anyway, I don't feel ripped off -- and I especially like my free-art work that came with it - it's really pretty ...

We have always seemed to accidently stumble upon the "art" auctions on our last few cruises. I won't comment on the quality of the reproductions but I will note that with each successive cruise, the auctions seem to be progressively more poorly attended. Maybe the word is getting out about Park West. Maybe it's the economy. Maybe it's the cheap champagne.

On our most recent cruise on the Mariner. I don't recall even seeing a notice in the Compass about an art auction. Maybe I just missed it.

I am not a fine art collector but I have bought a few peices on board ship. The first peice was on my 25th anniversary cruise on Radiance in 2003 and I happened to see a 30x40 inch uncut sheet of Peanuts (Snoopy, Charlie Brown and the gang) trading cards framed in one of the hallway displays. I just fell in love with it. When I showed it to my husband he said - lets find out how much they want. It was $50 or $55 I think. Even with the shipping charge of $30 at the time I bought it.

When we got home I had it framed and it sits over my fireplace in my living room.. I still get enjoyment out of it every time I look at it. :)

Last year back on Radiance I purchased 2 tiny Snoopy etchings, a Tweety Bird cell, and a print by one of my favorite artists Alexander Chen. It was a print of the Brooklyn Bridge (I grew up there many years ago). There was also a free peice that I ended up donating to a charity.

All in all the price for all four of of my peices, including shipping was about $250. I have all of them framed now, which was more expensive than the artwork itself :rolleyes: .

Now, I have to admit, I did some research first on the Peanut's etchings as I'd seen them before. I had a maximum price in mind and they beat that by about a third.

There was one peice I was looking for, but the Park West price was almost double what I'd seen it for here in California at an art gallery. I didn't buy it.

So I guess the moral of my story is - if you know what you're looking for and you know how much you'd be willing to spend the auctions could be a good deal. These were not expensive peices nor were they purchased as an investment. I just plain like them all.

I'm not arguing with what you all are saying as I agree most of their stuff is just crazy expensive. Just telling you my experience.

Edited to say I also think it is horrible the way the lady was treated!

Archived