Rooms To Avoid - Pacific Dawn

OverTheTop

Hi we are a family of 7 who have booked our first cruise - not until September 2009 on the Pacific Dawn. As you can see by my name I am sooooo excited!

I have seen similar threads elsewhere but no real mention of the PD or Australian ships. Are there any rooms that we should avoid, or decks to avoid getting a room on? Decks/rooms that are great?

Thanks for your advice and input.

Hi we are a family of 7 who have booked our first cruise - not until September 2009 on the Pacific Dawn. As you can see by my name I am sooooo excited!

I have seen similar threads elsewhere but no real mention of the PD or Australian ships. Are there any rooms that we should avoid, or decks to avoid getting a room on? Decks/rooms that are great?

Thanks for your advice and input.

Welcome,

Cabin selection is similar for most ships. Not aware of specific dud cabins.

- Avoid being well forward or well aft if you are prone to seasickness. Being on a lower deck and slightly aft of midship has the least movement in rough seas.

- Cabins directly under busy public areas are prone to noise.

Suites are great, but so are the price.

I've not been on Pacific Dawn, however I'll give you my own general advice which you might find useful when studying the PD deckplans which you'll find on P&O's website.

When picking a cabin or cabin category, always think about what is ABOVE your cabin & what might wake you up early in the morning, or keep you awake at night.

ie. avoid cabins underneath a running track, promenade deck, a kitchen, a nightclub, a theatre.

Also avoid cabins adjacent to the lifts or stairs, as people will always talk while they walk.

In terms of a smooth sailing, choose cabins in the middle of the ship rather than at the front or rear.

Hope this helps.:)

Hi we sailed on the Dawn in August we had D169 if they allocate you this cabin change it at once, the noise from the vibratrion was awful the ended up giving us another cabin to sleep in but the we had to have same cabin in the day, up and down every night not a good experience, it cracks and creaks and even after getting the engineers up to the cabin it still wasnt fixed so beware ,

Actually you are not the only one i have heard saying Dolphin deck was extremely noisy, i was sitting at lunch with a family of four who said they had hardly had any sleep since getting on board because of the creaking of the panels in their cabin they thought at on stage they were going to fall off, their oldest daughter who i thought was about 12 slept in the little corridor outside the bathroom the whole time!! Think i would have been asking to move from that one, But we had a completly full ship so i guess it is not so easy.

We were on Aloha and did not heard a thing Complete silence at all times, in fact we were underneath the running track and Cafe Del Sol and not once did we hear anyone or any noise from above.

Marg

Hi there,

My wife and I travelled on PD last December and occupied cabin D140 (Dolphin Deck) and it suited us very well. We found it to be a great location, very quiet, no vibrations.

In fact we have booked cabin D142 on October 12th cruise and cabin D141 next May!

Whatever you decide have a great cruise.

Regards, Roy

That is good to know, i was beginning to think Dolphin deck was one to avoid! It is obviously just individual cabins, think i might stay away from Jackie's D169 thought:D

Marg

Hi Marg,

We were on Dolphin and our cabin was fantastic, no noise, just loved it.

Jaquie was on our cruise too, she was the one with the photos of the their Med cruise at formal dinner sitting next to me. The cabin they were given for sleeping in was an inside, so preference was to be in the outside, hence the noisy outside cabin by day and quiet inside by night.

Thats good glenda, what number cabin were you in?

In case i do go ahead and book the t grade, Dolphin deck seems to be the favoured up grade so i would like to know the cabins to avoid if this happens:D :D :D Like a good girl scout i am being prepared:rolleyes:

Marg

Thats good glenda, what number cabin were you in?

In case i do go ahead and book the t grade, Dolphin deck seems to be the favoured up grade so i would like to know the cabins to avoid if this happens:D :D :D Like a good girl scout i am being prepared:rolleyes:

Marg

We had D174 and Chelsea had friends two doors down in D170 and all was good with both those cabins. Perhaps there is a difference on the side of the ship.

Marg

If they upgrade you, there will not be a choice of cabin. :)

Cheers

Geoff

If they upgrade you, there will not be a choice of cabin. :)

Cheers

Geoff

So true Geoff, with an upgrade you just have to be happy with what you get.

Marg a ship in general can creak and groan a bit as it's a ship not a building.

Sometimes though you can get a very noisy cabin. I know this also happened to Evon once and the noise was quite a lot louder than just a creak and groan.

I personally think the Pacific Sun is noiser than the Pacific Dawn.

We were underneath Promenade deck on PD in November and had no problems or noise whatsoever.

We were in A167 inside twin on Aloha deck. This is just below the Lido deck bar. We had no problems with noise at all and the room was very handy to all areas.

Don

Glenda if you are upgraded and you do not like the cabin can you refuse?

Don we were in A178 in august and did not hear a thing and i agree it is very handy for everything.:cool:

We are in A208 for the NYE cruise and i think that is a really good spot also(near the spas) pity they close at 10.00pm:D

Marg

Glenda if you are upgraded and you do not like the cabin can you refuse?

Don we were in A178 in august and did not hear a thing and i agree it is very handy for everything.:cool:

We are in A208 for the NYE cruise and i think that is a really good spot also(near the spas) pity they close at 10.00pm:D

Marg

Depends on how you book, if you book a guarantee then what ever they give you is it and you can't refuse it. Cheapest way to go usually and the futher out you book the higher the chance of a good upgrade. Also being a past passenger makes a difference.

Or you can book a specific cabin and be open to an upgrade which I was at one stage but the upgrades offered cost money (in my experience) and you let them know either yes or no. It's usually cheaper though than booking a higher category cabin straight up.

thought I should add.......

But some also get upgraded free of charge too. If you love your cabin and don't want to change you must let them know and they won't upgrade you, as an upgrade is not always an upgrade if you are happy with the cabin you are in.

Thanks Glenda that all makes sense,:p we booked a guarentee the last time but it was a balcony on Aloha,Ba category just did not know which cabin, this time we have booked a specific cabin but as it is an outside i am just going to trust it to luck and if we get an up grade then it can only be into a balcony cabin.:D Though think i am being a bit ambitious as i think the cruise is almost full but saying that you never know!!!:D

Cheers once again

Marg

Archived