Your first cruise ship

The first cruise ship I was on was the Lurline. In April 1963. My parents were going to Hawaii. That wasn't the first time they sailed in that ship. They went to Hawaii on it in the spring 1941 with my older sister was a year old. My dad was working for the corp of engineers. My mother & sister came back in late 1942 again on the Lurline. That trip was really a adventure because they were evacuating as many civilians as possible on each trip. So there were 4 people in addition to my mom & sister (who by then was a VERY active 2-1/2 year old) in a tiny cabin. Before the 1963 trip, my mom was showing us around the ship and explaining how various places had been different use for the 1942 trip. One of the staff heard her & asked if she had sailed on that ship before, and she told him when. They got to sit at the captains table for dinner - so he could hear the story.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Mine was also the Carnival Holiday but in 1986. Also thought it was big but now I know it wasn't at all. We won the trip on Let's Make a Deal. Was a great trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow, that's awesome! I remember that show.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I remember the hula lessons and the horse races without allof the adopting a horse and decorating it that they do today. So fun even fir an 8 year old.

The service was excellent as well. I remember the deck chairs and the deck attendants who would tuck you a blanket around you and bring bullion at 11 in the morning. The menus were long and extensive.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just around 13yo that time. First ever cruise was with Royal Caribbean's Grandeur of the Seas back in 1998. I can't even forget their old tagline, "Like no vacation on Earth". It really felt that way that time that I still remember scenes from before clearly. Sadly, digital camera wasn't that popular back then so our photos are all caught on film, now sitting somewhere in the attic.

They had this Shipshape activity where if you join, you'll get points and even medals. At the end of your cruise, you can exchange those points for items like keychains, water bottles etc.

I'm excited to cruise again with RCCL this year and can't wait to board the biggest cruise ship in the world (for the meantime)!

First ever cruise 1986 carnival cruise out of Miami to st Thomas Nassau and San Juan. 29 years ago on our honeymoon!!! Barely remember it lol. 2nd cruise in 17 days on royal Caribbean grandeur of the seas. So excited I can't stand myself !!!![emoji568][emoji572]️[emoji568][emoji572]️[emoji512][emoji572]️

Edited by Debbiemc

First ever cruise 1986 carnival cruise out of Miami to st Thomas Nassau and San Juan. 29 years ago on our honeymoon!!! Barely remember it lol. 2nd cruise in 17 days on royal Caribbean grandeur of the seas. So excited I can't stand myself !!!![emoji568][emoji572]️[emoji568][emoji572]️[emoji512][emoji572]️

How cool! Hope you gave a great cruise!