Your first cruise ship

• 2 weeks later...

NCL's SUNWARD II Miami to Nassau and Little Stirrup Cay

I believe ncl had just made the deal on that private island!:)

19 and 84 it was!

hooked immediately and just maybe 23 years old:rolleyes:

we had travelled to Hawaii for our honeymoon in 80, then again in 81 and 83 and it was time for something completely different......

we've never made it back to Hawaii again!:eek:

ours was the RCL "Sun Viking". Absurdly small by today's standards, but we had a great time!

Loved the Sun Viking and the Song of Norway never did get to sail on the Nordic Prince

My first two cruises were on the Sun Viking and Nordic Prince back in the 70's. It seemed so big then! Still had lots of fun things to do and I have great memories and lots of pictures of that time with my family!

• 4 weeks later...

1994 on Majesty of the Seas Western Caribbean for our 12th anniversary. At the time the "newest and biggest" along with the other Sovereign class vessels. Best 7 consecutive days of our lives. We were hooked and did the same cruise again exactly one year later. We are now diamond C&A and have been on Majesty several more times along with the Empress and several of the newer and bigger ships. Majesty remains our favorite. In 1994 cruising was still about being on the ocean and none of the modern day gimmicks were in place yet. The MDR food was outstanding, the service impeccable, the booze was cheap, a midnight buffet every night, and there were NO giant TV screens to spoil the experience. There was a lot more live entertainment in lieu of the contrived electronic substitutes and the quality was very good. I remember looking up at the ship from the terminal and being awestruck at the sheer size. It is amusing to hear her called "tiny" these days because she does not have a floating amusement park or shopping mall. I do admit that the cabins are very small on the Majesty but we had no basis for comparison and were very happy.

We regret not having started cruising earlier, as we had known people over the years who had gone and all gave glowing reports. We just never got around to it until the 1990's. I really wish I could have gone on some of the early Carnival ships during the "early" days of the line. It sounds like it was a really fun and adventurous time. Ah well, we make do. Would love to hear more stories from the '70s and '80s Caribbean cruises if there are any out there.

My first cruise was in November 1991 on the "brand new" Carnival Ecstacy. It was the year I graduated high school and my best friend and I booked and paid for the trip all by ourselves. E181 was the cabin, inside with bunks. I'll never forget that ship as I studied the brochure inside and out for months, wish I still had it, loved those old brochures.

We were barely 18 and were allowed to drink back then, no parents required. We were also seduced by many of the crewman, well they attempted , never succeeded. Can't see that happening today.

One of my most distinct memories of this cruise was the toga party some group of guys had, managed to convince a good portion of the passengers to wear their bed sheets as clothing one night, we opted out but joined in the fun anyways and discovered they had made some type of moonshine in their cabin drawer with fruit and god knows what, it looked and smelled toxic, we never tried it but that vision never leaves me lol.

The waiters sang and performed every night, there was midnight buffets, skeet shooting, hairy leg contests and chocolate Lava cake... thank goodness the chocolate lava cake is still around!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First cruise was a night cruise to nowhere. Don't remember the name. Second was carnival destiny to key West and Cozumel. Never forget the taxi drivers in Cozumel drove everybody into town that day, then went on strike, stranding everybody on the island. I had to go back to the ship on a horse and buggy. Half way through the trip the buggy lost a tires. The driver picked it up, threw it into the cab with us and kept going. I had to hold the tire about 3 miles.

Good times.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
First cruise was a night cruise to nowhere. Don't remember the name. Second was carnival destiny to key West and Cozumel. Never forget the taxi drivers in Cozumel drove everybody into town that day, then went on strike, stranding everybody on the island. I had to go back to the ship on a horse and buggy. Half way through the trip the buggy lost a tires. The driver picked it up, threw it into the cab with us and kept going. I had to hold the tire about 3 miles.

Good times.

Hysterical...

Our first cruise ship was the Bahama Star, it was scrapped long ago, but our second was the Boheme, it was purchased in 84 buy the church of Scientology and redone at a cost of 160 million for its members exclusively it called the Freewind.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good times.

Funny, I also do not remember name of 1st in 1975 also cruise to nowhere out of NYC

amerikanis, Victoria is less likely, possibly even the Britanis

also possiblilites might be the Bermuda star or Queen of Bermuda? not sure if they were on the new York thing this early but for sure they did the caribbean in the winter and summered in new York for years in the 80's maybe too in the mid seventies

did Home lines white ships do one day sailings? not sure

pretty sure some older timers than me can help out with suggestions!:)

Our first cruise was on RCCL Song of America in 1984. It was a honeymoon cruise out of Miami to the Carribbean. The ship was about a year old and was wonderful. It was a big and beautiful ship. Rather formal compared to today. Seating in the dining room was at a fixed time, at an assigned table. About the third day into the cruise there was an open seating lunch, as was the norm when the ship was in a port. We met another couple at that lunch that day, who were also on their honeymoon, and who were from Canada. Well the honeymoon ended for us all, but not the friendship. We remained friends since that time and get together every other year or so, either in the states or in Canada. We both cruised many times over the years, but never together. It wasn't until our 30th anniversary that we got to cruise together again. We did a Mediterranian Cruise to the Greek Islands and had another great time.

Now comes a crazy coincidence. The Song of America had long been sold off by RCCL and had even been resold again, but continued to sail in Europe under new names. So here we are on our Med Cruise in 2014 and we wake up in the port of of Kusadasi, Turkey. Looking out our balcony, berthed next to our ship, was the ship we known as the Song of America. 30 years later! It was distinct in the fact that it still had the signature RCCL design Crown Bar at the aft of the ship. What was such a large ship in 1984, was dwarfed by the new Celebrity Ship were were sailing.

To be on cruise with friends we met on our honeymoon, to be the only time since that we cruised together, to be celebrating our 30th Anniversary together, to be half way around the world, and to be looking at the ship of which we all met, was just crazy.

• 4 weeks later...

Haha, well, since I'm new to this whole... cruising thing... My first ship was RCCL MS Freedom of the Seas, in 2014. (an early birthday gift to myself)

Was a seven day trip out of Port Canaveral to Labadee, Haiti: Falmouth, Jamaica: George Town, Grand Cayman: and Cozumel, Mexico.

12060505656_15b94f6d44_c.jpg

IMG_3678 by CanobieFan, on Flickr

• 2 months later...

First cruise 1998 on the RCCL Grandeur,West Carribean, we got hooked, took pictures of our waiter and assistant, had early dining, no anytime dining then,Careful of how many drinks we had,bought way too many photographs, but loved cruising and hooked since then,

• 4 weeks later...