Help Pick My Cruise

beachbev

We are Loyal Royals who wanted to try something new too. The first time, we went on the Carnival Miracle and were sorely disappointed. Besides other issues such as poor service and awkward layout of the ship, my children were so bored that they were whining to come home. I wouldn't sail Carnival again, nor would I recommend it to my friends, and especially not to anyone with children in their tweens/teens.

Two weeks ago, we went on the Caribbean Princess and had a great time. In our experience, Princess is a closer match to RCI in the area of service and elegance of the ships. We found that some things we liked better on Princess, and other things RCI does better, but it all balances out to an equivalent cruising experience. Still, we prefer RCI, but we'd definitely choose another Princess cruise.

You can read my reviews of Carnival, Princess and RCI by clicking the links in my signature for more details on how the lines compared to each other in our experience.

We are taking are kids over Spring Break on a cruise (with another family). We usually go RCCL and want to try a new line. They are 12 and 8. Should we go on the Carnival Legend or Ruby Princess. HELP we can't decide.
I think that since you've cruised on RCCL, Princess would be a better match than Carnival, particularly over Spring break. As Donna says, some things RCCL does well, some things Princess does well. Princess has a great kids program and the kids will meet lots of others on the Ruby. Other pluses on Princess are the freshwater pools, 24/7 dining and if you're with kids, Anytime dining. IMHO, I think Princess has better food and service but the cabins are a bit smaller compared to other cruiselines. My big concern with Spring break on Carnival would be the heightened party atmosphere.

We are taking are kids over Spring Break on a cruise (with another family). We usually go RCCL and want to try a new line. They are 12 and 8. Should we go on the Carnival Legend or Ruby Princess. HELP we can't decide.

Either one.

You won't go wrong.

Not to sure if you are looking into children programs

Carnival is well known for their “Camp Carnival” - excellent.

Princess has distinct age groups programs. Which are all very good.

Either one.

You won't go wrong.

Not to sure if you are looking into children programs

Carnival is well known for their “Camp Carnival” - excellent.

Princess has distinct age groups programs. Which are all very good.

This may have been specific to our cruise and the Carnival ship we were on, but we found that Camp Carnival only attracted very young children, and really didn't appeal to tweens/teens - every time my kids tried to attend, there were no kids in their age range participating at all. It was located in an odd location, in the front of a passenger deck, behind the theatre, rather than in a convenient/fun place like the pool or sports decks like on RCI/Princess ships.

On our Carnival cruise, there were lots of tweens/teens running around the ship unsupervised with nothing to positively occupy them, because they did not utilize Camp Carnival. My kids were 12 and 10 at the time, and though it was "lame" compared with Adventure Ocean.

I think that since you've cruised on RCCL, Princess would be a better match than Carnival, particularly over Spring break. As Donna says, some things RCCL does well, some things Princess does well. Princess has a great kids program and the kids will meet lots of others on the Ruby. Other pluses on Princess are the freshwater pools, 24/7 dining and if you're with kids, Anytime dining. IMHO, I think Princess has better food and service but the cabins are a bit smaller compared to other cruiselines. My big concern with Spring break on Carnival would be the heightened party atmosphere.

I agree with this assessment.

My children, also, never liked the program on Carnival. There were plenty of children their ages (teens), but they enjoyed doing things together not on the Program.

Additionally, after cruising RCCL I think you would be disappointed with the food on Carnival. I thought the food on Princess was very good.

I agree with this assessment.

My children, also, never liked the program on Carnival. There were plenty of children their ages (teens), but they enjoyed doing things together not on the Program.

Additionally, after cruising RCCL I think you would be disappointed with the food on Carnival. I thought the food on Princess was very good.

Different experience here though limited by being on one CCL crusie which was the Destiny. Then the food was very good, better than what we had on the Spledour and a bit better than or at least equal to the AOS though I must say the latter is our fav. ship. So far. :D

My kids have sailed on 16 cruises so far with Princess, RCI, HAL, Carnival, and NCL. They found Carnival to be "boring". They didn't like the grouchy kids' crew counselors and the activities weren't as imaginative as RCI's and Princess'. They did like RCI better than Princess, but Princess was a close second.

For us, the new Ruby Princess would win out. Although some Carnival cruises are okay, overall, Carnival is just not our scene. To each his own though. :cool:

Archived