Reservations for sailings that are 12+ months away

dino2067

I am looking into an Azamara Asian cruise in 2010. Right now the availability of suites/staterooms is of course, wide open being that it is approximately 18 months away.

I am considering making a deposit now directly with Azamara for the cabin of my choice and waiting to see whether, as it draws closer to the date, there are better perks (OBC, prepaid gratuities, etc.) offered up making it worth my while to transfer the reservation to a TA.

I am just curious…what have other's experiences been with a reservation for a sailing that is 12+ months out? Did you start the reservation with and stay with a TA or with Azamara? Start the reservation with Azamara and then transfer to a TA? Start the reservation with a TA and then transfer to another TA?

Best regards,

Kathleen

We booked our October 2009 cruise in May 2008 directly with a TA. Many TA's will offer some perks right when you book and I am guessing you can alway re-book if the cruise line offers more at a later date. A good TA may even be able to get them passed along to you when they appear.:)

We booked our October 2009 cruise in May 2008 directly with a TA. Many TA's will offer some perks right when you book and I am guessing you can alway re-book if the cruise line offers more at a later date. A good TA may even be able to get them passed along to you when they appear.:)

A good TA will get them passed on to you..

Jancruz1

Booked Asia February 2010 with my agent on June 19th. She will pass on any info, etc. I always book very early so I get the cabin I like. Easiest is to go with your personal travel agent. I also monitor the cruise on the ship's website to see if there are any price reductions as it gets closer to sailing time. I find that sometimes you, are the best agent.

I am just curious…what have other's experiences been with a reservation for a sailing that is 12+ months out? Did you start the reservation with and stay with a TA or with Azamara? Start the reservation with Azamara and then transfer to a TA? Start the reservation with a TA and then transfer to another TA?

For an RCI, Celebrity or Azamara cruise (which TAs are not allowed to discount), I usually book my own cruises and manage them until shortly before final payment. Then I transfer them to my TA, who is usually able to offer a nice OBC. I have fun doing the research and tracking fares to see if there's a discount or other special.

For lines which allow TAs to discount their fares I will ask the TA to book for me because her agency does that, too. Although I give up control earlier, it's usually worth it for the benefit of the OBC.

For an RCI, Celebrity or Azamara cruise (which TAs are not allowed to discount), I usually book my own cruises and manage them until shortly before final payment. Then I transfer them to my TA, who is usually able to offer a nice OBC. I have fun doing the research and tracking fares to see if there's a discount or other special.

For lines which allow TAs to discount their fares I will ask the TA to book for me because her agency does that, too. Although I give up control earlier, it's usually worth it for the benefit of the OBC.

critterchick..you have the best of both worlds..interesting way to do it..the only question I would have..if before you turn it over to an agency there is a problem with the sailing..travel agents are the first to be called..it could take a while for you to be notified.

Jancruz1

critterchick..you have the best of both worlds..interesting way to do it..the only question I would have..if before you turn it over to an agency there is a problem with the sailing..travel agents are the first to be called..it could take a while for you to be notified.

Jancruz1

That's why I monitor my cruises frequently. And when I had my brief, horrid career as a TA I was never notified of diddly.:)

Critterchick-

Thank you for the input...this just confirms what I already know that I am comfortable with.

Now, I just have to locate that elusive TA that meshes well with my personal needs...:)

Best regards,

Kathleen

Orchestra: when are you going? we are booked for Oct 17, 2009 Quest, Ancient Empires.

Archived