Explain muster drill please

Delta Dear

We are going on our first cruise on the SOS. I requested to be near an elevator so my husband wouldn't have to walk long distances. We are on Deck 2 , right across from the elevators.

Can you tell me about the muster drill ? Are there going to be a lot of steps (stairs) involved ?

I know the purpose of the drill, but don't know how it works.

So many questions, so much excitement !

We leave on Oct. 24 YAHOO

You put on your life jacket, head to your assigned muster station (which can be found on your cabin door) and stand/wait as they go through the safety proceedure and then the captain dismisses you.

The elevators are closed during muster. You should probably either contact guest services when you board for help in getting to the muster station, or go early when the elevators are still working, though this will mean a longer time waiting outside on deck.

The Muster drill is usually on the same deck the life boats are on. I have herd of some musters on cruises taking place in lounges etc. When you board there will be announcements telling you the time of the muster. The cabin side of your state room door will have the location of where you are to muster. There will be a signal (horn siren) at the muster time. You put on your life jacket and go the your designated area. Usually elevators are closed off once the signal is given.

We usually go to the the floor that our muster station is on early, before they close off the elevators. We carry our life jackets, and only put them on once the drill actually begins.

Afterwards, we take our life jackets off, and once again, hang out on that floor until the crowds thin out and the elevators are not so crowded.

I have not been on SOS, but on most RCI ships, the muster stations are on deck 4, so it's only two flights for you. Downward after the drill might be manageable (as I find it easier to walk down stairs than to walk up them).

If your husband struggles with walking, they should let him use the elevator. On our last cruise, one of the staff members noticed that I was having a little difficulty with the stairs and immediately came over and took me to an elevator.

Alternatively of course, if you don't want to chance it, do as others have suggested and be on the same deck as the drill, prior to the escalators being out of bounds.

Advise Guest Services that he may need assistance if required to use the stairs. They will even let you use the elevator if necessary for the drill.

However, if you ever have a real emergency, you would not want to use the elevator as the electricity supply may fail and you would be trapped on the elevator.

Hypo

Archived