Trial Open dinner seating?

cruisecrzy

I know I read a thread or posting about one of the CCL ships doing a trial run with the open dinner seating option, now I can't find it! I tried a search and got a zillion possibilities, none of which I have found the posting I read to begin with, any help?

It is currently only being offered on the Legend. I will be on there next month so I don't have any experience to tell you about. I'm still trying to decide between traditional and open seating. It started on Legend in late June. Another ship is supposed to begin in November. Maybe Valor? Can't remember which. Sorry I wasn't much help.

People either love it or hate it. There really doesn't seem to be a middle of the road. I have to say I love it. It's great to be free each day to do what you want without worrying about arriving at the dining room at a certain time each evening to eat. The downside is, you don't have the same servers or tablemates each evening. I thought the freedom was worth that cost.

I believe there are enough people who LOVE traditional dining that it will always be offered.

I know I read a thread or posting about one of the CCL ships doing a trial run with the open dinner seating option, now I can't find it! I tried a search and got a zillion possibilities, none of which I have found the posting I read to begin with, any help?

Here ya go.......

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2687

On a previous thread regarding this subject, my question was if you go with the flexible dining and you're at a different table each night, in the past we've always given our "set" waiter an EXTRA gratuity for the week at the end of the cruise. How would this figure with getting different servers each night? Leave a cash tip on the table after each meal if you felt the service was extraoridinary? How did others handle this who have had open dining (this cruise line or another) and giving extra gratuities? We are scheduled for the Liberty next May and I'm thinking of switching to open dining. Thanks.

On a previous thread regarding this subject, my question was if you go with the flexible dining and you're at a different table each night, in the past we've always given our "set" waiter an EXTRA gratuity for the week at the end of the cruise. How would this figure with getting different servers each night? Leave a cash tip on the table after each meal if you felt the service was extraoridinary? How did others handle this who have had open dining (this cruise line or another) and giving extra gratuities? We are scheduled for the Liberty next May and I'm thinking of switching to open dining. Thanks.

Well, I'll be able to give you actual details after I return from the Liberty, but what I'm planning to do is take a little cash with me to the dining room. If the server is good, he gets a little extra. In the past, we've usually given our server an additional $20 or so, in addition to the pre-paid gratuities, so I'm thinking an extra $5 each night will be enough. I hope.

Whst we've done on Princess with open seating is go the first night & if you like the server ask for their station each night. If you don't like the server, you keep trying untill you find a good one. I really don't know how this willl all work because the waiter we have staying with us now says that if there is no opportunity to get extra tips at the end it really isn't worth working 7 days a week away from home. They may loose their best servers.

I've been looking at cruising on the Legend. The open seating dining is making it even more appealing to me. I don't care about sitting at a big table with a bunch of strangers for dinner and do not enjoy it.

How do you think that open seating will change that? We had open seating on Princess last year and every time you were seated, it was at a different table with different people. You were able to "request" a table for 2, no promises. Of course, you can do that on CCL now.

Personally, I didn't enjoy it.

I prefer the open dining because: If you are tired from the shore adventures you can have a chance to rest a little without the sense of hurry to get to your scheduled dining time. If you want to eat early or late or anytime in between, you have a choice. As far as the crowds, I never saw them on NCL. There is a bit of a 'crowd' when the dining room first opens but it quickly thins out. Wait staff, we asked to be seated in the same dining area each time, not always the same table and got the same waiters each time. In fact the ships restaurant manager was one of the staff waiting on us and we always got good service. I'm not one that gets lathered up for formal nights. Some people look forward to the Tux and Gown which is fine but it is not for us. Give me casual dress anytime. Also you are not required to sit with others at a table if you want a little privacy. If you want to join others that is fine, if you want to sit by yourself that is also fine. What's the big deal. When you have assigned seating your all mill around the entrance, wait for them to drop the rope, and then make the mad dash to your 'assigned table' and I call that a crowd.

How do you think that open seating will change that? We had open seating on Princess last year and every time you were seated, it was at a different table with different people. You were able to "request" a table for 2, no promises. Of course, you can do that on CCL now.

Personally, I didn't enjoy it.

When we sailed on Princess they asked us how many? We always got a table for our group only....

When you have assigned seating your all mill around the entrance, wait for them to drop the rope, and then make the mad dash to your 'assigned table' and I call that a crowd.

Huh? Who lines up? That's for first time cruisers.

thank you all for the replies. I agree, traditional is the way to go for me, but there are others in our party who have only sailed on NCL and claim to love the flexibility.

The flexibility is incredible, and if your concern is having the same wait staff you can always make a reservation for their table each night. Carnival's version is much nicer than NCL because you do not have all the options, it is more along the lines of the time do we go to dinner, not so much where as with NCL. If you have party larger than 4 it is a good idea to make a reservation each night to avoid a wait.

Archived