Free ticket isn't free anymore...

pluto107

I used my NWA frequent flyer mileage to redeem tickets flying to FL. But decided to change itinerary so that I can arrive 12 hours early (instead of 12:30pm on embarkation). I found out that I need to pay extra $90 a ticket in order to change itinerary ($50 admin fee + $40 tax diff.) :mad:

Plus another $80 for hotel; which we only sleep for few hours (our plane won’t get till midnight). My total cost for this trip is $260 extra!! :eek: Is this really worth the peace of mind?? I know I might sound a little whiny (and blame myself for bad planning), but I just thought it would only cost me a hotel stay and extra day off work… :(

I used my NWA frequent flyer mileage to redeem tickets flying to FL. But decided to change itinerary so that I can arrive 12 hours early (instead of 12:30pm on embarkation). I found out that I need to pay extra $90 a ticket in order to change itinerary ($50 admin fee + $40 tax diff.) :mad:

Plus another $80 for hotel; which we only sleep for few hours (our plane won’t get till midnight). My total cost for this trip is $260 extra!! :eek: Is this really worth the peace of mind?? I know I might sound a little whiny (and blame myself for bad planning), but I just thought it would only cost me a hotel stay and extra day off work… :(

You actually should consider yourself lucky that you were able to find FF seats on another flight! No one can tell you if it's worth your "peace of mind" but you.

In this case, I would Priceline a hotel. No way would I pay $80.

I am sorry to say, your thread title is really misleading.

I believe such change fee has exited for decade, if not longer. The only difference is, the fee has just gone up. Such fees are to offset the Admin costs involved when changing the itinerary. The elite members are exempt from such fees, and it only makes sense that the customers who fly the most would have some perks in return for their loyalty.

As for the tax difference, well, different itineraries have different taxes - airport tax, 9-11 fee, and misc other taxes - all depend on the routing of your itinerary. You could have a reduced tax for that matter. BESIDE, the more important thing for you to understand is, the taxes and fees go to government entities or airport owners if the airports are privately owned (many are, outside USA).

I know I know that I shouldn’t complain. I guess back in my mind I was expected a fee to change the tix; just didn’t expect that much. Probably all the planning made me stress out quite a bit. Lesson learnt ;)

So how much would you pay for a hotel stay in FL? What’s the avg?

Thanks!

Where in FL? I advise you, if you are considering bidding on Priceline, to go to the website biddingfortravel.com. You can learn a lot there, and also see the prices people are getting for hotels.

Mr. Rugrats is currently in London and even in that horrendously expensive city, I used Priceline for a hotel and paid $60 a night for the Crowne Plaza, Heathrow (he needed to stay at the airport), which included all fees and taxes - a total of $120.00. Booking directly with the hotel was $337.75 for the two nights, including taxes.

Priceline has been very, very good to me.

Priceline has been very, very good to me.

You Betcha!!!! I have stayed in more 4* & 5* hotels than I can count on Priceline bids. Would I pay for them at $500-800 per night? Not generally, even on a business trip (Peninsula Bangkok excepted). But I sure will take a chance on whatever hotel Priceline sticks me in for 1/3 the price. I LOVE PRICELINE for hotels and rental cars.

If you are talking about day before cruise, chances are, you will not get a deal as the Crowne Plaza at LHR.

Why would the fact it is the day before a cruise affect prices at an airport hotel 60+miles from the port?:confused:

On September 15 NW joined Delta and started to charge a fuel surcharge to passengers who book a FF ticket. This charge is applied to pax who make voluntary changes to previously issued tickets. Charging such a fee means the FF tickets are no longer free and that may trigger additional taxes.

I'm sorry to say the thread title is accurate.

Airlines have charged for changes to FF tickets for a long time.

I am sorry to say, your thread title is really misleading.

I believe such change fee has exited for decade, if not longer. The only difference is, the fee has just gone up. Such fees are to offset the Admin costs involved when changing the itinerary. The elite members are exempt from such fees, and it only makes sense that the customers who fly the most would have some perks in return for their loyalty.

As for the tax difference, well, different itineraries have different taxes - airport tax, 9-11 fee, and misc other taxes - all depend on the routing of your itinerary. You could have a reduced tax for that matter. BESIDE, the more important thing for you to understand is, the taxes and fees go to government entities or airport owners if the airports are privately owned (many are, outside USA).

Why would the fact it is the day before a cruise affect prices at an airport hotel 60+miles from the port?:confused:

It doesn't. I book all my pre-cruise hotels on Priceline. The best I ever got was the Sheraton Biscayne Bay (which is now condos sadly:( ) in Miami for $31 a night. Another great deal was the Westin Times Square in August for two nights pre-cruise at $141 a night (best price I could find anywhere for the Westin at the time was $364/nt.)

Charging such a fee means the FF tickets are no longer free ...
As a matter of interest, how long has it been since FF tickets were really free? As in, you could book an FF ticket, receive the ticket and fly and not have to pay a single extra penny to anyone?

Or to put it another way, how recently have you been able to do that on any airline, and which airlines were the last still to offer that?

Archived