The Turtle Farm - Would this change YOUR opinion?

crusinmama06

On the Disney board someone was asking about the Grand Caymen turtle farm when someone else replied that she won't take her kids there because they raise the turtle to eat them.

And that poster was right, found this on their web site...

What do you do with all those turtles?

About 60% of each year's hatchlings are raised to 3 - 4 years of age to be processed for food that is sold locally (a national delicacy). Out of these, 1 to 2% are kept to become future breeders instead of food. The remaining 40% are released into the ocean when they are around one year old. This "headstarting" gives the turtles a better chance of survival.

So now I guess the question is, would this change YOUR mind about taking the kids there???? Obviously there is no right or wrong answer. I was just wondering the thoughts on this. :)

I guess we take our kids to a normal farm even though those animals are made into food. Would you go to a turtle farm?

What an interesting question. I can certainly understand that someone who's a vegetarian would feel that way, but it's not clear if she was. For me, personally, I think I'd actually be apt to go there, whereas usually any excursion that involves animals is a no-go for my family since I don't like the idea of living things being held captive and used for my entertainment (no zoos/aquariums/dolphin swims/horseback riding, etc.). I know it's odd - I've just always been haunted by a Twilight Zone where humans were put in alien zoos :rolleyes: But since the turtle farm actually has another purpose, it might past my test. I haven't thought it all the way through though, so I'll be really interested to see what others think. Thanks for bringing it up!

AND I see that you booked the Oasis...I'm so jealous!

Best,

Mia

We acutally just got back from the turtle farm and while I was suprised to find out that they raised the turtles for food, it would not have kept me from going. There really isn't grounds for raising cattle or other large animals like that on the Cayman Islands, so they needed to find something else that could supply them with food. It's just a part of the culture there, nothing different than you or I eating beef or chicken. I actually found it very fascinating and would take my child there next time. I did hear a lot of people on our excursion commenting on how "mean" it is to eat the turtles, but if that's the way they survive, then so be it. JMO;)

Absolutely! I think it can provide a valuable lesson for kids - enlightening them to new cultural beliefs and opening their minds to new things (in this case, foods.) :)

If anything, I'd be worried about getting salmonella poisoning from touching them and haphazardly touching my mouth :p (turtles and most reptiles carry salmonella quite readily.)

We acutally just got back from the turtle farm and while I was suprised to find out that they raised the turtles for food, it would not have kept me from going. There really isn't grounds for raising cattle or other large animals like that on the Cayman Islands, so they needed to find something else that could supply them with food. It's just a part of the culture there, nothing different than you or I eating beef or chicken. I actually found it very fascinating and would take my child there next time. I did hear a lot of people on our excursion commenting on how "mean" it is to eat the turtles, but if that's the way they survive, then so be it. JMO;)

Hm. I wonder if they commented about while they were enjoying a nice rack of lamb or prime rib or sauteed chicken for dinner.:p

My only issue with any animal raising farm or other venue is how the animals are treated. If we're going to eat them (and DH and I do; we are not vegetarians), then the least we owe them are clean and safe living environments and humane butchering when the time comes. You couldn't get me to eat turtle or frog legs or rattlesnake or scorpions or any number of animals that just seem disgusting as food sources to me, but I also understand that it's partly because of how I was raised.

If the turtle farm is well kept and interesting, then we'd definitely go.

beachchick

You know.....I am the oddball here, I guess. I don't see a problem with anyone going at all but for ME....I couldn't go because it would depress me to see someone's soon to be main entree.

I'm overly sensitive though!

I would think that since it's a tourist attraction and a source of their food that they would be well taken care of and it'd be clean. So....for anyone but me....go for it!

You know.....I am the oddball here, I guess. I don't see a problem with anyone going at all but for ME....I couldn't go because it would depress me to see someone's soon to be main entree.

I'm overly sensitive though!

I would think that since it's a tourist attraction and a source of their food that they would be well taken care of and it'd be clean. So....for anyone but me....go for it!

I'm with you on that. I feel like I'd spend the whole time being like "oh no, people are going to be eating these cute little turtles soon," and I don't think I'd enjoy that. But my general problem with meat/ seafood is that if something "looks" like the animal, there's no way I can go near it. So maybe I just think about it too much...

I don't think we would have a problem with it. Like someone else said it's not like they have an abundance of land to raise larger animals for a food source. We live on a farm now. I do have to admit when I first went to DH's family house for dinner I was slightly turned off when DH's grandfather asked how do you like Old Red (one of the cows I had fed apples to). But, I am used to it now. The kids know not to make a cow a pet because of where they end up. Now, oldest DD (soon to be 12) has decided to be a vegetarian (don't know how long that will last). So, I'm not sure she would like to know the turtles are used for food.

DH and I went in 2004 and it made us think of the movie Finding Nemo. The turtles are in large holding tanks and they would crawl up on each other's backs and they could see the ocean. They seemed to be looking toward the sea and moving in its direction. It looked to us like they were trying to get back in the ocean. Would I go again. No. On the other hand it is a kinda been there done that sort of place.

Karysa

I would go (and have gone -- I think I knew beforehand that they were raised for food). I'd rather someone was raising them in captivity and releasing 40% to the wild than capturing egg-laying females on the beach. That's the other source of turtle meat and is one of the reasons most sea turtle species are endangered (the other big ones being entrapment in fishing nets and collection/destruction of eggs).

-- 2 cents from biologist/ecologist

I would go (and have gone -- I think I knew beforehand that they were raised for food). I'd rather someone was raising them in captivity and releasing 40% to the wild than capturing egg-laying females on the beach. That's the other source of turtle meat and is one of the reasons most sea turtle species are endangered (the other big ones being entrapment in fishing nets and collection/destruction of eggs).

-- 2 cents from biologist/ecologist

Exactly my thinking...although I would not eat turtle meat personally, better to eat farm-raised turtles (with the 40% released boosting local wild populations) than to continue to harvest wild individuals...in particular, breeding females. My kids love turtles, and really enjoyed their visit to the farm (knowing full well it was indeed a farm, but understanding how it benefits turtle populations overall).

We went there during our last cruise, at the recommendation of someone on here. DS loved it so much that we will be headed back there on our next cruise. I had no idea that the turtles were being raised for food. While that will make me slightly sad during our next visit, I will not mention to DS. It was one of the highlights of the trip last time and I don't want to spoil it for him.

I would absolutely go, but because my daughter is such an animal lover, I would tell her before we went that some of the turtles are raised for food. If she found out when she got there, she'd cry for sure and it would probably ruin her day. She'd probably cry when I told her, actually, but then we'd have a talk about where beef and pork and chicken come from (which she is already well aware of) and we'd no doubt plan to try some turtle if we got the opportunity.

I'm not bothered in the least that they are raising turtles for food, just like I'm not bothered by raising cattle, sheep, pigs, chickens, turkey, bison, or other meat animals. To me, the most important thing about what these farms do is releasing 40% back into the wild. That's a LOT, considering what percentage of turtles actually make it there in nature. These are turtles that are repopulating the ocean after predators (including man) have depleted their numbers, not the least of which are the huge percentage of babies that never make it from the egg to the water in the first place, or are picked off soon after. As I said, my daughter would likely cry upon learning that the turtles were raised for food, but I know she would also be extremely happy to know about the releasing. :)

Hmmmm...good question. I am a vegan but more out of have-problems-with-the-way-with-animals-are-raised reasons versus that I don't think people should eat meat reasons. While I would never go to a circus (the animals sole purpose is to entertain people while potentially being mistreated...not my cup of tea...), I am not bothered by the fact that the turtles will be eaten. Their "farming" is open to the public, thus probably making their treatment much better than that in which occurs on our American cattle raising establishments.

We are considering it as an option for our upcoming cruise...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I knew that and one of the reasons I won't go there. I don't go touring farms, and the ones I have been to, you aren't allowed to pet/bond with the animals, and then turn around and (I've heard) the tour guide tells everyone the majority of them are food. I think it's kinda morbid...like I wouldn't go tour a veal factory or a McDonald's beef ranch...ick ick ick. I'm far from a vegetarian and don't judge anyone on what their culture deems a food source, but I don't want to pay to pet it before it hits the soup pot or the slaughter house. ICK.

Archived