Jade Restaurant

TwoWeebles

Sorry if this has been asked a million times... I tried the search feature and it brought back way too many results for me to look through. Can someone tell me about the restaurant 'Jade'? We are going on Monarch of the Seas in February and I was wondering about this restaurant. Do they have other Asian food besides sushi? Do you need a reservation? What is the dress code? Thanks!

Sorry if this has been asked a million times... I tried the search feature and it brought back way too many results for me to look through. Can someone tell me about the restaurant 'Jade'? We are going on Monarch of the Seas in February and I was wondering about this restaurant. Do they have other Asian food besides sushi? Do you need a reservation? What is the dress code? Thanks!

Dont Know about the Monarch but the ships I travelled on Jade was located in the windjammer, It's buffet style and yes more choices than just sushi. No reservation and dress as you do for the windjammer.

I'm wondering the same thing. We just booked a cruise on the Monarch today for Jan 09.

Is there a cover charge? Also, is there a good selection of fish and seafood free choices, as I have allergies.

The Jade section of the Windjammer is a separate, often very quiet, section of the WJ that is all the way forward on Deck 11. No charge for the buffet offerings there.

Sorry, I can not vouch for the offerings served there. All I saw was some very average supermarket type sushi, California rolls, etc.

The Jade area of the Windjammer is very nice at night. It has white table cloths on the tables and the wiaters will bring piping hot pots of green tea to pour for you. It is quiet and peaceful there at night. Jade has the tablecloths at night on Freedom Class ships. I can't remember if Jade does on Explorer Class ships.

You don't have to eat from the Asian buffet. You can still sit in the Jade area and go get food from the regular Windjammer buffet. Nobody minds.

You do not need reservations for Jade. In fact, you cannot make reservations for Jade. There is no extra charge. Jade is actaully part of the Windjammer Buffet.

What's a "curry"?

A curry is a type of dish made in many different Asian cuisines. The curry powder itself is made from a variety of spices and are blended in different ways and with different meats and vegetables to yield different tastes. Indian curries are quite popular as are curries from Thailand.

So is there good Asian food besides sushi? What is besides sushi and rolls are offered.

Besides the excellent curries, Jade has food from a variety of Asian countries, including Chinese, Japanese, Filipino, Indonesian, Korean, Thai, Indian/Pakistani, etc. Not all cuisines are available at every meal. Jade offers an excellent variety spread over the length of the cruise.

The OP asked about Jade on Monarch which is a little different from Jade on the other ships. This area is all the way forward and seperate from the windjammer on the Monarch. I am interested in knowing what they offer and what they charge as well, (we will be on Monarch next weekend ...). Someone on our roll call mentioned they had tempura available.

When we were on the Explorer in Dec we asked about the sushi, turns out it was fauxshi ;-) (check out the pix on the Explorer thread) In any case we learned that the Explorer doesnt have a license to serve raw fish. It was fake sushi made with vegtables and smoked salmon. Fauxshi was free.

The Monarch, on the other hand, does have a license to serve raw fish, and the sushi is real. But I don't know what they have or what it costs--although I am positive there is a surcharge on the Monarch.

Thank you for asking. It's a dish with a spicy sauce, sometimes meat and always vegetables...served over rice. (Curry is a mixture of certain spices and chillies.)

mmmmmhmmmm! I love curry!

We live 10 min away from one of the best Indian food resturants in NE Ohio, and some of the best Asian food as well.

When my parents were in Ft. Lauderdale a few years back someone asked where they were from and they said Akron or Cuyahoga Falls and the guys like ''Really, I've gotten the best sushi at such and such...." Turns out the place is just down the street from me. Lol.

We love Asian food and now I am confused by some of the responses. Some say it is connected to the WindJammer and is free, but others say, not on the Monarch. Can anyone who has actually been on the Monarch help with this? Does it cost extra on Monarch? Is it real sushi, not "fauxshi" as someone put it. LOL. Do they have a variety of Asian foods? We were thinking of eating at Jades on the formal night because our friends did not want the extra expense of buying a suit / formal dress. ;)

Everyone that has answered so far is completely wrong, except suznf. We are talking about MONARCH! Which is the only ship where Jade is a separate restaurant and carried a surcharge.

It is a Japanese restaurant on Monarch, and serves sushi. But it also carries a per item charge. Jade on Monarch has nothing to do with Jade on any other ship. And yes, I have been on Monarch and I can confirm this. They do have a lot more options for sushi, but it is still not very good. If you are a sushi lover, don't expect too much.

Thanks FitzLA for your answer. I don't like sushi, but my hubby and friends do. I do like Asian food though. So on the Monarch, is it NOT a buffet style place? Do you order like you would at any normal restaurant? For instance, if I wanted some Beef Lo Mein, could I get it? Thanks for your help. :)

MMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm, did I hear Curry? And Sushi?

Hey Karkee07, looks like we will be on the same sailing........actually, it looks like we have been on several of the same ships before! :)

You've got a lot of great questions going, makes my research a little as easier. Don't forget to check out the Buckeye Cruisers in the Floataway Lounge section of the boards.

**Remember, it's vacation so the rest of us get to eat as much seafood as we want!!**;)

Fitz is half right.:p

There are two "Jades" on Monarch. Jade Sushi is a separate, pay per piece restaurant located on Deck 12 above the Windjammer. The food is ok. It has been better the last few times that we've eaten in there than I recall in the past. You can order the sushi to eat there or, if only one or two people in your party want sushi, you can order it "to go" and they will bring it to your table in the Windjammer.

There is also a Jade section of the Windjammer Buffet, on Deck 11 all the way forward. The starboard side serves the standard WJ items (fewer of them), while on the port side you will find some Asian-themed dishes. On formal night that's where they put out the tableclothes and you can have a nice dinner experience (as I recall the main section of the WJ is closed on formal night). On the other nights, the Jade section is usually closed off, so it's just breakfast and lunch that you can have there.

As for curry and other Indian dishes, the main section of the WJ has had a nice selection of Indian dishes every night that we've eaten there.:)

Archived