Smoking in Cabins

Rudolph38

Don't you see that by remaining with HAL and continuing to sail with them under their current pro-smoker policies you are telling them with your money that while you may be willing to plead with them to change things, you really aren't willing to take your money elsewhere?

I'm sorry, sail7seas, but begging, pleading, filling out questionnaires with this particular company...all of it appears to fall on deaf ears.

If you and others who feel as you (and we) do move to other cruiselines, then HAL will notice our loss in a major way and they will change.

There are not enough smokers to take up the void of non-smokers! You know that yourself. But the non-smokers must leave HAL for as long as it takes until HAL changes their out-dated policy.

It won't take long for there to be a turn-around once non-smokers leave in droves, but if you keep booking cruises under the current policy, they will not change.

...and such passion is what America is all about (and makes it so unique).

Many good souls have taken their "final cruise", as it were, defending such freedoms, e.g. private property rights, habeus corpus, discourse of thought, and living within the CURRENT laws & regulations (to name just a few)..

Please have a great cruise on another line if your unable to tolerate the current policy. I believe the HAL policy to be just about right (although I think HAL should have a smoking section in the Piano Bar these days).

Be well & Bon Voyage!

Bob:)

P.S. I suspect Host Walt will be pulling this thread soon.

Please have a great cruise on another line if your unable to tolerate the current policy. I believe the HAL policy to be just about right (although I think HAL should have a smoking section in the Piano Bar these days).

Be well & Bon Voyage!

Bob:)

P.S. I suspect Host Walt will be pulling this thread soon.

What happened to the smoking section in the Piano Bar?? There was one on our last cruise in 2006.

I am an unabashed rule follower. Put on my seatbelt to move my car to the other side of the driveway, and signal when I do so.

We all accept some limits on our legal freedoms, generally for the public good.

There is a move in some quarters to make smoking illegal in ones own home, for the good of the resident non-smokers and whomsoever the fun police might seek to protect. Which side will you defend? :)

One wonders what the ACLU thinks?

Cheers

Mark

There is also a move afoot, principally by the manufacturers of the traffic light ticket cameras, to record all license plates and place them in a database so the police can find you at all times. Is that what you want?

Where is the ACLU on this one?

Rich

I never had a problem, but it does concern me that at some point I might. I've been known to be a big pain switching hotel rooms if I can detect a stale smoke odor (which to me doesnt take much, I'm very sensitive to it). HAL must do a good job, because we've done many, many cruises and havent had a problem - but - they could alleviate this entirely by coming up with some solution that would make everyone happy.

So, you've never had a problem in your cabin even though you've cruised "many, many" times, but you still want to take the ability to smoke in one's cabin away from others because of what might happen even though it's never happened?

Makes total sense to me.:rolleyes:

So, you've never had a problem in your cabin even though you've cruised "many, many" times, but you still want to take the ability to smoke in one's cabin away from others because of what might happen even though it's never happened?

Makes total sense to me.:rolleyes:

:confused: I was responding to a post that suggested making some cabins smokefee, and still reserve others for smoking. That's the solution I was talking about that would make everyone happy. Not sure what confused you to take it out of context.

I am pretty sure that they use a strong chemical to remove the smoke smell in between cabin changes. On the cruise I just took, I could smell smoke in the hallway the occasional day. I figured it wasn't a person smoking right in the hall - rather they were smoking in the cabin and then maybe walked right into the hall afterwards. It was at the end of the hall so it wasn't a passageway type of situation. Anyways, today when the cabin stewards were changing the rooms over for some new guests, they sprayed some harsh chemical right by or in the room where the smoke smell was closest to. I had to close my door because it was so strong, but not long after the chemical smell was gone. I figured that was what it was, but maybe it was for another reason altogether.

Problem is you have a lot of non smokers that want to sit at the bar in smoking areas and then complain about it

Jim

Jim,

This also surprises me too. There are so few places for smokers to smoke on the ship to begin with... I really don't see why so many people get their feathers ruffled when smokers are smoking in the designated area!

There are PLENTY of areas for non-smokers. I don't smoke, but my husband does. He has tried unsucessfully to quit so many times - it's truly difficult for him and I've ceased nagging him about it. I do feel he is a very concientious smoker and does not infringe on non-smokers.

We were at the Ocean Bar on Maasdam - in the smoking area, he lit up at the bar and a group of people sitting behind us at one of the larger tables simply got up and moved to the nonsmoking section of the lounge. They did not make a fuss or a scene, I noticed they moved and so did my DH and he felt bad - but we appreciated the fact they did so without being rude, obvious or making any comment.

Jim,

This also surprises me too. There are so few places for smokers to smoke on the ship to begin with... I really don't see why so many people get their feathers ruffled when smokers are smoking in the designated area!

There are PLENTY of areas for non-smokers. I don't smoke, but my husband does. He has tried unsucessfully to quit so many times - it's truly difficult for him and I've ceased nagging him about it. I do feel he is a very concientious smoker and does not infringe on non-smokers.

We were at the Ocean Bar on Maasdam - in the smoking area, he lit up at the bar and a group of people sitting behind us at one of the larger tables simply got up and moved to the nonsmoking section of the lounge. They did not make a fuss or a scene, I noticed they moved and so did my DH and he felt bad - but we appreciated the fact they did so without being rude, obvious or making any comment.

I noticed the same thing. My husband and I dont smoke, but my mother and sisters do. We did a family cruise on the Maasdam a year or so ago, and we sat in the smoking section of the Crows Nest with them most nights. I too noticed the nasty looks and comments people would make, even though they were sitting in the smoking section. I've never smoked, but my sister who is also a considerate smoker told me that's the way it is everywhere.

DH and I fully realize the bar is the smoking section. We KNOW folks can smoke there. But we also like to sit at the bar. If we are alone, our seat of preference is right at the bar. We have never asked anyone smoking at the bar to stop as we know it is their right to have their cigarette there but sometimes we do have to leave.

It is odd but there are some people who have more of an unpleasant odor about them than others. Beats me why. I can sit beside one person who smokes and not be bothered but another can simply pass by me and I can't stand the smell. Maybe each body processes/holds the smoke different....each person's individual chemistry is different. Maybe it has something to do with brand they smoke???

I have never met a more considerate smoker than 'ekerr's' DH. He bends himself over backwards and into pretzel shape to do his best to never bother anyone with his cigarettes. It is VERY appreciated.

So...... I doubt my response meant a thing in explaining why non-smokers sit in the smoking section. We sit there because we enjoy sitting up at the bar if it is just the two of us. Sadly, for us, that is smoking permitted, for the meantime.

We also have the 'right' to sit there. I have stated we never say anything to anyone who is smoking there. Too bad we are taking up two seats. We also are guests on the ship and can sit in whichever seat we please.

Sadly, for us, that is smoking permitted, for the meantime.

We also have the 'right' to sit there. I have stated we never say anything to anyone who is smoking there. Too bad we are taking up two seats. We also are guests on the ship and can sit in whichever seat we please.

In very few of the lounges can we smoke. I doubt that any smoker would ever consider being rude to you while you are sitting in there. But let them step over the imaginary line into the non-smoking section because there was no seating available. They will hear about it in no time.

Hugh in Dallas.

It is odd but there are some people who have more of an unpleasant odor about them than others. Beats me why. I can sit beside one person who smokes and not be bothered but another can simply pass by me and I can't stand the smell.

It may also have to do with their clothing and whatever products they use on their hair. Wool seems to hold "smoke" smell more than other fabrics. I suspect that some of the stickier "mousse" products we women use may hold odors more than does hairspray. It may even have something to do with the type of dryer sheets they use, as some leave more residue (to collect odors) than others leave.

We also are guests on the ship and can sit in whichever seat we please.

Yes, and if you just move away when someone who smokes sits down next to you, I don't think there's a problem with that. (Though the smokers may feel even more that they are social pariahs.) And that's what you said you do. DH & I smoke, and are very considerate in that if there are people around us, we usually don't smoke. However, that said, there have been times when we are the only people in a smoking area, and a group will come along and we hear "ohmigawd, the smoke in here is just gross, we can't possibly stay HERE, can you stand that smell, isn't that revolting, some people have NO CONSIDERATION for others, hack, hack, cough, cough, ewwwwwww". So while YOU are socially adept, s7s, not everyone is. And unfortunately some people seize every opportunity to make themselves feel better about themselves by belittling others.

It isn't that we wish to bother anyone. We just enjoy sitting up at the bar chatting with the bartenders.....many of whom we know. :rolleyes: Not sure what that says about us. :D

If we choose to sit at a table, it is always well into the non-smoking section.

If we are with other people, that is where we sit.

But if alone, everyone who knows us on the ships knows to look for us, before dinner, at the bar in Ocean Bar. :)

These days with smaller percentage of people being smokers, we find we usually can sit fairly (other end of the bar) removed from people who are smoking. But, indeed, there are times we have to take our drink and leave.

let them step over the imaginary line into the non-smoking section because there was no seating available. They will hear about it in no time.

We were seated in a non-smoking section of a land-based restaurant by mistake -- the hostess KNEW we wanted "smoking" but for some reason put us in non-smoking (this was years ago when you could still smoke in restaurants). So we lit up. We didn't know we were in "Non-smoking", as we'd specifically ASKED for smoking. What a reaction THAT got, including several servers standing there screaming at us "Put that out right now, you are RUINING everyone's dinner". I said very loudly "We specified smoking section", and THAT just made it worse, with the manager, and every OTHER staff member coming over and treating us like criminals. Not once did anyone say "we are very sorry" or "oh, our mistake, let's move you" or anything even CLOSE to civil.

Tofino, a lovely town that now survives only on tourism dollars, yet treats the tourists like dirt. Hadn't changed the last time we were back -- we got a ticket for not having a national park pass, which we did, and which was COMPLETELY visible in the car window, and several times our tires were chalked to ensure we didn't violate the "2 hour parking" restrictions. Oh, and we spent $75 on lunch, and about $200 on other stuff, in our 4 hour visit. Then we had to spend an hour getting the "no park pass" ticket straightened out.

I have a love/hate relationship with Tofino. Sorry for the thread drift.

In very few of the lounges can we smoke. I doubt that any smoker would ever consider being rude to you while you are sitting in there. But let them step over the imaginary line into the non-smoking section because there was no seating available. They will hear about it in no time.

Hugh in Dallas.

One of the problems in the enclosed bar/lounge areas is that the "imaginary line" is just that, imaginary. Smoke can easily cross over the line even if the smoker does not.

In Los Angeles, in the interim years, before smoking was banned completely inside bars and restaurants, candles were used profusely inside such establishments. The idea was that the candle flame apparently attracted and absorbed the smoke in some way. It seemed to me that it was an effective approach in curtailing the smoke from crossing the imaginary line between smoking and non-smoking sections.

To my best recollection, I have never seen candles used aboard a HAL ship. I suspect the obvious reason is that an accident with a live flame poses an even greater potential danger to all than does the smoke crossing over the imaginary line. (Excuse me, is this a smoking or non-smoking life boat?)

Smokers, of which I was once one, have no problem sitting through an hour's show in the show room, or sitting through a 2 hour movie whether on board or in a land based movie theater, or for an hour or so while dining or even on a flight of many hours without smoking.

At first I thought perhaps the answer aboard a cruise ship would be to have a bar/lounge on each public deck which allowed smoking anyplace within that particular venue. But that would discriminate against non-smokers who liked, say, the decor or music in that particular room. So that is something I would not advocate afterall.

The only sensible solution I can think of that might please smokers as well as non-smokers, is for HAL to ban all indoor smoking, except for the Oak Room where they still exist, and allow smoking only on open decks and verandahs which are never that far away. I am hoping that if I were still a smoker that this idea would still have seemed a good one to me.

The only sensible solution I can think of that might please smokers as well as non-smokers, is for HAL to ban all indoor smoking, except for the Oak Room where they still exist, and allow smoking only on open decks and verandahs which are never that far away. I am hoping that if I were still a smoker that this idea would still have seemed a good one to me.

Not exactly sure how this would Please smokers but It is an ok compromise .. except of course on cruises with colder venues ..

We like to sit at the bar to drink and have a cigarette before or after dinner too .. I have heard that some ships allow this .. but I never seem to be able to find it . so I have a drink .. go outside for a smoke and then back to the bar .. I guess I have just gotten used to it so I don't bother to complain anymore.

I am pretty sure that they use a strong chemical to remove the smoke smell in between cabin changes. On the cruise I just took, I could smell smoke in the hallway the occasional day. I figured it wasn't a person smoking right in the hall - rather they were smoking in the cabin and then maybe walked right into the hall afterwards. It was at the end of the hall so it wasn't a passageway type of situation. Anyways, today when the cabin stewards were changing the rooms over for some new guests, they sprayed some harsh chemical right by or in the room where the smoke smell was closest to. I had to close my door because it was so strong, but not long after the chemical smell was gone. I figured that was what it was, but maybe it was for another reason altogether.

So if the smoke doesn't kill you the "chemical" might!

If there is a smoking area in the main open area of the lido deck on this ship I couldn't find it.

We hung out on the aft section of the ship, where one side was smoking, but without much shade.

Did I miss it on the vista class ship?

Hugh in Dallas

Hello all,

Ok, could someone tell me the rules for smoking on the Noordam. My Mom smokes a lot, but I have talked her into taking the elevator up to the aft pool to smoke when she wants to so the grandkids can come to their stateroom. I myself smoke whenever I have an adult beverage. That's why we always get a balcony, so that I can go outside whenever I want and smoke away from the kids. My question is, are there specific sides of the ship where you can smoke? Does this also include balcony staterooms? We currently have a starboard aft cabin. Thanks for your time.

If there is a smoking area in the main open area of the lido deck on this ship I couldn't find it.

We hung out on the aft section of the ship, where one side was smoking, but without much shade.

Did I miss it on the vista class ship?

Hugh in Dallas

No. You did not miss it. There is no smoking permitted in Lido Restaurant nor at any place under the dome at the pool. Not at the bar, not at the tables, not anywhere.

Hello all,

Ok, could someone tell me the rules for smoking on the Noordam. My Mom smokes a lot, but I have talked her into taking the elevator up to the aft pool to smoke when she wants to so the grandkids can come to their stateroom. I myself smoke whenever I have an adult beverage. That's why we always get a balcony, so that I can go outside whenever I want and smoke away from the kids. My question is, are there specific sides of the ship where you can smoke? Does this also include balcony staterooms? We currently have a starboard aft cabin. Thanks for your time.

You are permitted (so far) to smoke on verandas on HAL ships.

Archived