Have you been to COCOCAY?

TwoWeebles

Went there in 2002 and went snorkeling, do yourself a favor and buy some of those shoes you can walk in the water with... The seashells or rocks or whatever that was is killer on the bare feet. Does anyone know if the chickens are still running wild there?

Mitaha

Thanks to everyone who provided feedback. I am so excited. We are going in February. Have any of y'all been in February? What is the weather like? Is it warm enough to swim?

We've been in February and the weather was wonderful... warm, sunny... warm enough to be in the water... we did see jellyfish but they weren't all over the place...

I agree about heading over to where the hammocks are... hardly knew anyone else was around...

Thanks to everyone who provided feedback. I am so excited. We are going in February. Have any of y'all been in February? What is the weather like? Is it warm enough to swim?

I've been in December, May, and September (only a week ago) and had great weather on all visits. Got in the water each time, and it felt like summer each time I was there. I've never done an excursion there, because I enjoyed so much of the island without having to pay any fees. As above posters have stated, it's a great place to lay in the hammocks, enjoy Coco Locos, sit at a bar and enjoy the beautiful views, walk on nature trails, etc. This is honestly my favorite port.

I have a RCCL map of Coco Cay which shows paths going one to the right and one to the left , and I hear you when you say go to the far side of the island for a little "privacy", and I'm sure some of my travel mates know the answer, but I'd still like to ask: Which path?:confused: The Atlantic would be to the left? But, wait a minute it's to the right. No, it's all around us. I once read from someone that going to the right then following the path toward what is known as Coconut Willies is a very private area (but how can that be when the Fisher Price area and the water slide is so close. Do I sound confuse? I probably am.... HELP!

Just keep walking past those areas.............

Went there in 2002 and went snorkeling, do yourself a favor and buy some of those shoes you can walk in the water with... The seashells or rocks or whatever that was is killer on the bare feet. Does anyone know if the chickens are still running wild there?

Mitaha

Yes.

Last year Coco Cay seemed to be a port that got skipped a lot, due to weather issues. We missed it our self's last Oct. Wasn't too upset though because we got to go to Puerto Rico instead..

Question to the recent Mariner cruisers on the eastern trip have you been stopping there this mo? Are next cruise is Oct 12 and were scheduled to stop there again this year so wanted to know our chances..

Don't forget the nice volleyball court with spectator stand!

Here's a nice photo of one of the inhabitants, an octopus clutching a shell that he has sucked out! He was a cutie...and one of the starfish. A friend caught one of a lionfish under the lifeguard stand in the snorkel bay too. Great little diversion! Leave just after the BBQ to take advantage of the empty ship though. We enjoyed an almost deserted solarium after 12:00.

15frybd.jpg

faczfs.jpg

My friend Fred's pic of Mariner from the shore

33ohatf.jpg

And finally here's one looking back to shore of the snorkel beach

15gco42.jpg

We went to labadee on the freedom and LOVED it! It was gorgeous.

But, for people who have been to both coco cay and labadee, which did you prefer and why? we MIGHT be taking a cruise to coco cay this february and wanted a fair comparison.

We prefer CoCoCay because of water clarity and critter sightings when snorkeling, but the dragon at Labadee is a must too! And now the zip line!

I have been reading about the glass bottom boat does this cost extra

or is it included. When your boat gets to the dock do you have too take a cab to the beach or is it right there within walking distance

Thanks

No cabs, no vehicles except maintenence atvs:D You can walk around the place in about 30 minutes.

Woody,

We were on the Mariner in May and did stop in cococay. We almost did not get to go because the water was so rough for the tenders. There were 8ft swells and watching the tenders hit the open water when the pulled out of the little inlet at the dock was interesting to say the least.

They did decide it was safe enough so we decided to trust them and go for it. The ride on the tender was a lot like a roller coaster but it was well worth it.

Brian

Are the jellyfish absolutely everywhere? I've heard more than once people complaining about jellyfish at CocoCay. Otherwise, it sounds great!

?

Last time I was there(Sept 14th) was the first time I got stung(twice) and I have been to CocoCay at least 2 dozen times........I seem to notice them more in Sept...

I have been reading about the glass bottom boat does this cost extra

or is it included. When your boat gets to the dock do you have too take a cab to the beach or is it right there within walking distance

Thanks

It is extra..heres a pic of it..we were scouting it our for my inlaws(for a future cruise)....2971981860042692775S600x600Q85.jpg

and heres the inside.........you have to stand up and look thru those little windows..........

2735405620042692775S600x600Q85.jpg

I'm thinking of booking a RCL cruise that goes to CocoCay. Which ships go there?

Sovereign(only till Oct 27th cruise)

Monarch(will start in Nov)

Majesty

Mariner

Enchantment

Navigator

Freedom

Not all the named ships go there all the time..............check out www.rccl.com for more details...Im not sure what month you want to go..

I was in Coco Cay in early June and it was great! The seas were calm and warm and it was like being in your bathtub. We didn't do any excursions there because we just wanted to sit on the beach. We grabbed lounge chairs and sat there and then went in the water. We also walked around and did some exploring. It really was my favorite part of the trip and I wish RCCL would do a cruise just to Coco Cay and nowhere else! I wouldn't mind going there for a couple of days.

I've been there twice (unable to go on one cruise because the water was too rough to tender) and I've done parasailing and jet skiing. I have to say, the jet skiis were a blast! I'd heard bad things about it, but decided to go for it, anyways and it was worth it. You get to go far out nearly to one of the other islands (the one NCL uses) at full throttle. Plus, the guide I had gave us some history info on one of the stops out on the water. He even reached down into the water and got a star fish and handed it all around.

Parasailing was really fun, too but it is a fairly quick trip.

As for the island itself, I walked the "nature trail" that is on the island last time - it's 1 mile each way and I really enjoyed it. I walked back through the water along the beach around the island on the return trip.

You mentioned a guide with the jet skiing .... you don't go out by yourself?

You mentioned a guide with the jet skiing .... you don't go out by yourself?

No, they take you out......you're on your own jetski but you have to follow the lead guide and go where he takes you.......one big parade;)

Thank you MCLou for your wonderful pictures and thanks to everyone who posted pictures. My husband and I are taking our first cruise at the end of Oct. on the Sovereign. I've been feeling SO in the dark about everything until I viewed the pictures. I've been reading the boards, and had lots of information BUT 'a picture IS worth a 1,000 words.'

Archived