Stolen items on the Explorer of the Seas

Srebh10

BTW, did the OP check the bags before he/she put them on the airplane on the return? Because the airport baggage folks are at least as likely as suspects as who they suspect.
OP already stated that strange phone calls were made from the cell phone before the luggage left the port. Could have been passengers, crew or port workers. My bet would be on the port workers as they have no connection with the cruiseline.

OP - Have you thought about having the phone company trace those phone call numbers? Perhaps they could lead to the thief.

I lock my luggage with a cable tie, that way I know if my suit case has been tampered with before I leave the pier.

So sorry to hear about your loss. Unlike DH (OK, he's from the Bronx and is very security concious), I never lock my bags - figure if someone really wants to get in, they will rip open the soft-sided bag and ruin my luggage in addition to stealing my stuff. That having been said, my luggage on return trips contains dirty laundry, shoes and maybe some inexpensive souveniers at best. Anything of any value to me (or anyone else) is in my carry-on. I travel with very little jewelry, but what I bring must fit into a small zip-lock bag that never leaves my purse.

Meanwhile, I do believe that tracing the phone calls would be your best bet in catching the culprit - good luck.

I would lock my bags. I always fly, and I am the one in charge of getting them to the ticket agents. I can unlock them before I give them to those people. If I remember correctly, on our last cruise (with Celebrity) they had agents from USA on the ship who could take your luggage then. I don't know how that was handled since I didn't read about it till too late.

It is hard when one is a trusting, honest person to believe how some people are thieves, but, alas, they are everywhere. Better to be safe than sorry.

I was traveling through the Phoenix airport and had to change planes. I also had to put my luggage through TSA security and once I arrived in KC, I found my bag had been torn open and my Rx meds were all gone. Guess who took them. Yup, the guy running the machine! They caught him on camera and I was informed of it the next day after I called them to complain. Getting really hard to trust anyone it seems. The worst part is having grown up where a handshake was your WORD!

We now lock our luggage at all times on a trip. There are new, TSA-approved locks on the market, that the TSA is able to open, if they wish. I know all of the arguments about damage, steal the whole bag, etc. But I want to know, when I am reunited with my luggage, if someone has been in it. If there are indications that the bag has been opened, we look inside, right at the airport (before leaving baggage claim) to assure nothing is missing. If there is a problem, you need to file claims with the airline or cruise line before you leave the area. Also, if the TSA opens the bags, my locks have a window that changes from green to red to let me know that someone has used a passkey. If the TSA opens your bag, they are supposed to place a sheet of paper inside, acknowledging that they opened your bag.

Mark

We now lock our luggage at all times on a trip. There are new, TSA-approved locks on the market, that the TSA is able to open, if they wish. I know all of the arguments about damage, steal the whole bag, etc. But I want to know, when I am reunited with my luggage, if someone has been in it. If there are indications that the bag has been opened, we look inside, right at the airport (before leaving baggage claim) to assure nothing is missing. If there is a problem, you need to file claims with the airline or cruise line before you leave the area. Also, if the TSA opens the bags, my locks have a window that changes from green to red to let me know that someone has used a passkey. If the TSA opens your bag, they are supposed to place a sheet of paper inside, acknowledging that they opened your bag.

Mark

I agree with gerif...anything of value is carried with us. No worries about stealing dirty laundry!

Mark - do you have a link of where you can get those?

Mark

I agree with gerif...anything of value is carried with us. No worries about stealing dirty laundry!

Mark - do you have a link of where you can get those?

If I had to place a bet, I'd bet that the items were stolen by a passenger, not a crew member. Bags can sit out in the hallway for hours. For some kid, they might be a tempting target.

Crew members risk losing their job and ending up in prison in a foreign country (the US) - it just isn't worth it to them. Even if they sold what they took, they wouldn't get more than a few hundred dollars. That wouldn't cover the airfare home after they got fired - and they'll make more working.

A passenger would figure, "I'll be hundreds of miles away in a few hours, they'll never find me."

Thanks, BottledRed (I'm a bottle red also :) ). Our Alaska cruise will be the first time we'll have to deal with airline security. We'll also be taking advantage of the RCI program at Vancouver airport, which will mean that they'll take our luggage from the ship and we won't see it again until we land in Los Angeles. Even though all we'll have in both suitcases will be lots of dirty laundry, I'm still uncomfortable with someone rummaging through my things for no legitimate reason (I'll definitely carry anything of value with me in my purse and/or carryon). These locks look like they're the way to go. Again, thanks, and congrats on your upcoming wedding!

Laurie

That's not exactly a fair statement. I found this site AFTER my first cruise. Does that mean if I had a problem that it is irrelevant just because I didn't find CC before the cruise? I bet there's a lot of people who don't plan on getting hooked on cruising and never think about searching for information on the Internet until after their first cruise. For that matter, I've refered several experienced cruisers to this site who never view it because they're just not interested. Would that mean their opinions are to be taken with a grain of salt or considered "bait."

Sometimes it's worth taking things at face value and not getting upset over them. Believe it or not, I know several people who don't think twice about putting expensive items in checked luggage. I even think the OP posted that they were not experienced travelers.

Sometimes I wonder how these forums grow if everyone is so hard on new posters that don't have all positive comments.

I applaude you for seeing it this way as well...I also only found CC at a Cruise...was told by other cruisers...and I wonder why everyone seems to be hard on new posters and experienced posters...it seems if you are having a bad day come on in and read something you don't agree on and take out your negativity on this individual or another....I am now wearing my fire suit.

I applaude you for seeing it this way as well...I also only found CC at a Cruise...was told by other cruisers...and I wonder why everyone seems to be hard on new posters and experienced posters...it seems if you are having a bad day come on in and read something you don't agree on and take out your negativity on this individual or another....I am now wearing my fire suit.

It kind of reminds you of high school where the seniors picked on the freshmen ;)

Thanks for the links to the locks.I ordered 3 sets :)

Well, Doug, I think it is one thing to find Cruise Critic after a cruise, and start participating, and something else to find Cruise Critic after a cruise, solely to post a marginally incredible story of woe. I believe FinelyCruising's skepticism is reasonable.

It is never worth taking anything at face-value on the Internet. Treat everything you read online with a grain of salt, until you have overwhelmingly convincing, independent confirmation.

If so, maybe you could check with them regarding reimbursement for those items. Also, sometimes you homeowners insurance could possibly cover it. I would talk to your agent first, though, it may not be worth it to make a claim with your homeowners insurance.

I'm sorry you lost those items, I know I seem to make a sacrifice every trip I take, always my own fault, a blouse, a camera left at the airport,our formal night photos, last time it was a CD case we have no idea what happened to. I would feel awful if my nice things were stolen. I would also venture to say I doubt it was a cruise line employee, those individuals have too much at stake to risk getting caught. I would not be the least bit surprised if it were a port employee, since the calls were made at 9am. It makes you wonder how many bags are opened at the dock. We always lock our luggage before turning it over at the port, again before leaving it out in the ships corridors at night.

As far as a lesson learned, from now on never pack any item of value in a suitcase, always take jewelry, cameras, medications in a carry on and keep it with you at all times. This rule would apply to any type of travel, not just a cruise.

Well, Doug, I think it is one thing to find Cruise Critic after a cruise, and start participating, and something else to find Cruise Critic after a cruise, solely to post a marginally incredible story of woe. I believe FinelyCruising's skepticism is reasonable.

It is never worth taking anything at face-value on the Internet. Treat everything you read online with a grain of salt, until you have overwhelmingly convincing, independent confirmation.

Whether the OP found CC before or after their cruise has nothing to do with credibility.The number of posts has nothing to do with credibility.Posting a bad experience is participating.Maybe their intention was just trying to warn everyone.The OP doesn't really have anything to gain by making up this story.You have no idea what their motivation is.Why do you feel this story isn't credible?No, it wasn't a smart thing to leave valuables in checked luggage but people do it all the time.My husband accidentally checked one of my carry ons once and I had my fingers crossed until it was back in my hands.What motive would someone have for making this up?Sometimes people are way too skeptical.I think it is more incredible to believe someone would go to all the trouble of finding this board just to make up a story.These boards are to help each other.Maybe instead of overanalyzing every statement or post anyone makes giving someone the benefit of the doubt wouldn't hurt.I for one have no desire or the time to research every post someone makes.I do agree however you shouldn't assume it was an employee.That is a very serious accusation.

All that being said I see your cruise is soon.I am really looking forward to reading your review when you return.I know it will be very detailed and have a lot of valuable information and having never cruised with RCI before I think you will be a great person to answer any questions.

It's fine to be skeptical. I hardly believe everything I read. However, to jump on the forum and publicly question the OP's sincerity without evidence that the incident didn't happen is a good way to chase otherwise friendly people off. Not only that but to openly suggest that the OP is just trying to get everyone cranked up is uncalled for.

Thinking that a post like this is some sort of conspiracy to suck us all in is a little childish IMO. Just take it at face value, offer support, offer advice or just don't post to the thread and let it die on it's on merits. That seems more like common sense to me.

I agree this sounds a little suspicious, but not entirely impossible. OP could well be someone searching for help from "experienced" cruisers who frequent these boards. Let's face it, folks- while the CC community is great to be a part of, and full of helpful hints and advice, we are but a very tiny portion of the cruising public. There are an awful lot of very experienced cruisers we've traveled with who've NEVER heard of Cruise Critic, and frankly, could care less.

Now, that being said, I'd have to agree that it would take an extremely novice traveler(not just cruiser) to put those items in their non carry- on luggage. Besides, those are items that would automatically trigger a TSA bag inspection. Buy the new TSA-approved luggage locks for an extra measure of security. They can be opened by TSA inspectors, and then re-locked. I know, because we just had that happen on our flight to Fort Lauderdale for our Celebrity Century sailing.

Funny story: on our first cruise(now ten, and counting), we were sailing out San Juan to So.Carib. We spent a pre-cruise night @ El San Juan Hotel. This was in '97, when the cruise lines had trucks come to the hotel to pick up your luggage for transport to the ship. Well, at some point between the hotel luggage pick-up and its arrival in our stateroom, someone broke into one of our bags. Knew this because the lock was gone. I had a shave kit in that particular bag, inside of which was a $500 dress watch(I know-stupid). However, when I was unpacking the kit, the watch was still there. However, missing was a bottle of cologne, and, ahem, the condoms I'd had in there. Guess someone in San Juan or onboard was planning a hot Saturday night, and didn't give a d*#n what time it was!!

Bottom line, if the OP is for real, this will unfortunately be one of life's hard lessons learned.

Screwbit, what an appropriate nickname considering your post. Hope you had some extras stashed away somewhere else.

Thanks, BottledRed (I'm a bottle red also :) ). Our Alaska cruise will be the first time we'll have to deal with airline security. We'll also be taking advantage of the RCI program at Vancouver airport, which will mean that they'll take our luggage from the ship and we won't see it again until we land in Los Angeles. Even though all we'll have in both suitcases will be lots of dirty laundry, I'm still uncomfortable with someone rummaging through my things for no legitimate reason (I'll definitely carry anything of value with me in my purse and/or carryon). These locks look like they're the way to go. Again, thanks, and congrats on your upcoming wedding!

Laurie

You're welcome! (and to any others who thanked)

I got them online after I looked locally and they were MORE expensive! I just get paranoid, period. Too much government work, I think ;)

Notice the OP hasn't returned since their last post? I wonder if they are out shopping for new luggage locks? No, they couldn't be. They haven't read all the suggestions of how to avoid this type of thing from happenening again. So much for trying to be helpful. :rolleyes:

Archived