Eastern, Western, or Southern Carib Cruise

lovevacadays

It's been 10 years since I've cruised in the Caribbean. At that time did the Western (Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel) I also did the Eastern but that was in 1989 (San Juan, St Thomas). I'm sure there has been many changes. Just wondering which itineraries are your favorites and why. Planning on booking the Caribbean in 09. One that looks interesting is the Emerald or Crown Princess doing Grand Turk, San Thomas, St. Maarten.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I worked on Princess Ships and have cruised the Caribbean a lot! In all honesty, Jamaica is my least favorite port. I find it sketchy and although some places are stunning (Dunns River Falls) - It is really scary around the port itself. Now you can't judge a place by the port but I will say it is the only port that I was not comfortable exploring on my own. Cozumel and Grand Cayman are okay but.....(read on)

If you have the chance - Aruba, Bonaire etc - on the 10 day run is my fave. Aruba and Bonnaire are clean and lovely. Grenada is the "spice Island" and if you make it to a place called the Aquarium restaurant you will love it!! There is a really nice beach there you can enjoy after a meal. Having said that, if you are not into clear, clean water and beautiful beaches, then go elsewhere. I also like the fact that you stop at Princess Cays at the beginning of the cruise rather than at the end. That way you get your first stop the day after you embark. Nothing much at Princess Cays unless you are into beaches as there is not much else there.

The Emerald Princess does this run starting in October I know that ship very well. She offers a wine bar, Sushi bar and a bakery/gelato place on deck 5. She is beautiful.

I am sort of fed up with St. Thomas. It is only because I have been there so many times. But it is crowded and really known as the "duty free" port aka the cheap booze and jewelry purchase port. If you have time, take an excursion to St. John or to British Virgin Gorda to The Baths.

Having said the above, The Crown is the sister ship to the Emerald and very nice as well.

Just my opinion....

Eastern Caribs are my favourite because of very picturesque harbors.

I love Grand Cayman though, great snorkeling and island overall.

I never sailed to SC, but I am planning to do this. St Lucia looks really nice!

Sometimes it can be a little more expensive due to airfare, but my favorite is the Southern. It feels more like a cruise leaving from San Juan. Normally, you get an extra island in the Southern route (5 vs. 4). I also like some of the islands normally included in Southern better for snorkeling and beach time.

We will be doing our first Southern route in 27 days. I have done the Western and Eastern and like the Eastern better than the Western. If Grand Cayman could be added to the Eastern route it would be heaven! Loved Grand Cayman but liked St Martin and St Thomas way more than Jamaica and Cozumel.

I'd go to any of the three if restrictions (ie, time, schedule, etc,) limited me. But if I could choose any of the three my list would be in order of preference:

Southern

Western (Jamacia was a scary stop, wouldn't get off the ship again without an excursion)

Eastern (bored with St. Thomas)

Whichever you choose, have a great time!

My wife and I have been on 3 Eastern C. cruises, 2 Western C cruises and 1 Southern C. cruises. We loved the Southern C. the best as it felt really neat visiting the far-away places and different cultures at each port. We really liked St. Martin and every time we cruise the Eastern we make sure that we visit that port. (Shopping is great and food is way better on the French side)

We have recently chosen the Eastern C. as we can easily get to Fort Lauderdale by plane from up north.

If money or time were not the object, I would fly to San Juan and do the Southern C. as the ports are so varied. (Spain influence, England influence, Dutch influence, and so on.

I look forward to my next cruise in February aboard the Crown. Happy cruising!

Thanks for all the comments. I have always wanted to do the Southern and you all just confirmed that. I'm going to hop on the Princess site and see which ships are going there in 09. (I think someone said Emerald in April)

Back in "89 when we did the Eastern we visited San Juan. At that time, we loved it and had a lot of fun in that port. It looks like the Southern routes start from there. How is San Juan these days? Anyone with favorite pre-cruise hotels?

Sorry this is off topic, I am just going on my first cruise but I have spent a week in Jamaica each of the past two years, and I am sort of offended by the comments that seem prevalent on this board about that country. Each week I have spent at independently run lower cost hotels in Negril, not Sandals or anything, eating at local restaurants, and it has been wonderful. There are certainly a lot of vendors but there is also a lot of character in that island. From my experiences in Puerto Rico and Mexico, I also think Jamaica offers a good value for the dollar (ie even at Margaritaville drinks are priced the same as most bars in Ohio). The beaches in Negril are pristine. I really have never felt unsafe but did notice people from large resorts and cruises often seemed to be afraid. I think they might be indoctrined beforehand to fear Jamaica rather than enter with an open mind. I worry that message boards like this can perpetuate this perception (although of course everyone is free to have an opinion!) I just feel the comments about needing weapons, etc., are over the top.

Just wanted to offer another opinion. I personally have enjoyed my land-based western Caribbean experiences. I would probably also chose Southern Carib just because I haven't been there, but we are trying Mexico our first time! Enjoy whatever route you take!

Sorry this is off topic, I am just going on my first cruise but I have spent a week in Jamaica each of the past two years, and I am sort of offended by the comments that seem prevalent on this board about that country. Each week I have spent at independently run lower cost hotels in Negril, not Sandals or anything, eating at local restaurants, and it has been wonderful. There are certainly a lot of vendors but there is also a lot of character in that island. From my experiences in Puerto Rico and Mexico, I also think Jamaica offers a good value for the dollar (ie even at Margaritaville drinks are priced the same as most bars in Ohio). The beaches in Negril are pristine. I really have never felt unsafe but did notice people from large resorts and cruises often seemed to be afraid. I think they might be indoctrined beforehand to fear Jamaica rather than enter with an open mind. I worry that message boards like this can perpetuate this perception (although of course everyone is free to have an opinion!) I just feel the comments about needing weapons, etc., are over the top.

Just wanted to offer another opinion. I personally have enjoyed my land-based western Caribbean experiences. I would probably also chose Southern Carib just because I haven't been there, but we are trying Mexico our first time! Enjoy whatever route you take!

Sadly if you take a look at the Jamaica board people have had some very scary experiences. We generally get off the ship and do our own thing but this February on the Sea Princess we are booking a tour in advance. Too many scary stories for us.

Another vote for:

1. Southern

2. Eastern

3. Western

in that order

I'm doing the 10 night Southern (Aruba, Bonaire, etc.) out of Ft. Lauderdale on Emerald in 45 days. Can't wait!!

As far as eastern, I like to daysail in STT, and St. Maarten has Maho Beach so I'd do either of those 2 on any cruise. Western I did once. It was ok.

ENJOY--whichever you choose!

Thanks for all the comments. I have always wanted to do the Southern and you all just confirmed that. I'm going to hop on the Princess site and see which ships are going there in 09. (I think someone said Emerald in April)

Back in "89 when we did the Eastern we visited San Juan. At that time, we loved it and had a lot of fun in that port. It looks like the Southern routes start from there. How is San Juan these days? Anyone with favorite pre-cruise hotels?

The southern route for seven days does begin in San Juan which will be on the Caribbean Princess. If you are looking at the Emerald, that itinerary is for 10 days leaving from Ft. Lauderdale.

I think most people's favorites for pre-cruise hotels in SJ are the Marriott Stellaris, Caribe Hilton and the Intercontinental.

We are looking at booking a cruise on the Grand Princess for 2010, this is a few years down the road but would love to hear anyones thoughts on the itinery for the Grand's 14 night cruise out of Ft Lauderdale. Believe this cruise covers a combination of south, east carribean islands etc.

Any comments on the ship, the islands covered on this cruise would be appreciated. We wanted a longer cruise than the normal 7-10 days. We are also looking at one of the aft cabins, any recommendations?

Done them all & like the Eastern the best. Love st maarten & st thomas.

As you can see we will be on the Crown soon so Grand turk I will find out about....

But with a Margaritaville how can you go wrong...

Tom

Dawn Princess 1998 southern

Disney Magic 2001 Eastern

Golden Princess 2003 Eastern

Carribbean Princess 2005 Eastern

Star Princess 2007 Western

Crown Princess 2009 Eastern

We are also looking at one of the aft cabins, any recommendations?
If you are looking for a standard balcony cabin, I would recommend the BB category aft cabins.....especially C752 and C753. They are both corner cabins with a larger balcony that is totally covered. They are considered to be prime real estate. Maybe these cabins will still be available since it is more than a year away.

Archived