best cruise for a first timer??

mtinney

i want to take my brother (and his girlfriend) on his first cruise for his 21st birthday. should i start them off w/ a 4 or 5 day? i was thinking of the majesty during his spring break but it seems like there are a few negative posts about the majesty ( i cruised her in 2001 and it wasn't the best experience but that was due to a hurricane) better islands for younger couple? any opinions?? thanks!

-monica

Definitely a shorter cruise for the first time cruisers. You just never know if they will enjoy it or how the conditions of the seas will be. It will give them a sample of what longer cruises are like. What a great gift to give your brother! Just remember that they will have nothing to compare it to so if they like the older ships, they will love the new ones. :)

My opinion differs. If you can afford it, I would just go for it and book a seven night on a Voyager class to the Caribbean. I love big ships (I am dying to go on a Voyager class) having only been on the Sovereign & Legend, and feel that a 4-5 day cruise would be too short to really unwind and relax. In my opinion, if they enjoy the cruise experience (with a positive attitude how could you not?), they will be seriously depressed getting off after 4-5 days.

Our first cruise was a 3 night on the Sovereign. IT WAS WONDERFUL. All of us enjoyed it, wife and I were 41 and 40 at the time and our "kids" were 18 & 16. Have been on 5 since.

I agree with any length other than a 3 or 7 night. Three is definitely too short while a 7 night might be too long. 4 or 5 for a first cruise should be just right for starters (until they are hooked like the rest of us.) lol

Tim

Also, I a nice first cruise is to go to Bermuda. It is a seven day cruise but you spend 3-4 days at Bermuda. That way if it turns out that they do not really enjoy cruising they will get to spend a good part of the week on land. And if they do like it.... they will have a nice finanial drain on their bank accounts for years to come!!

First choice would be the southern route (Adventure or Serenade) doing the Antigua, Barbados, St. L, St. T, St. M. run. (7 nights) Second choice would be an eastern route (on either a Radiance or Voyager class) making sure St. Thomas and St. Maarten are both on the itinerary.

Maybe it is just me, but IMHO, Bermuda would be a little quiet for 21yr olds. The 4-5 day Bahammas or some warm Carib dest, as you are coming from a cold north, right ? RCI #1, Carnival #2, NCL #3-freestyle. There are others I would put ahead, but not for a young 1st timer.

THIS is what I would do . . . book a WESTERN Caribbean cruise on RCCL. I'd recommend a 7 day cruise, but there are 5 day cruises you could consider. For a 1st cruise, I'd recommend a newer and larger ship. They are SO impressive. I've been turned off by the smaller ships (Sovereign, for example).

Check out itineraries that include stops in Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. I had a BLAST in Mexico! Mariner of the Seas, sailing out of Port Canaveral, visits these places & RCCL's private island. Great prices, too!!

BTW, I'm 25 and this is what I would buy MY 21 year old brother and his girlfriend for their 1st cruise.

Yes, I would agree that Bermuda could not be the best choice for a 21 yo. I wasn't really paying attention to the ages in the original post. Of course, it may be great for some. We seem to be generalizing about what interests someone of that age.

Personally, I think a 7 day cruise on one of the Voyager sisters would be great. My only concern is that if you do that for your first cruise you may become very limited in what you can select for future cruises. After doing one of those ships I am having a lot of difficulty getting myself to try any other class of ship.

We went with our friends last year on a 4 night and she discovered she really didn't like cruising. She didn't like the movement of the ship - really made her uneasy. (Sure glad I don't feel that way) Anyway, I think for 1st timers a shorter than 7 night would be in order. If they love it they can do a 7 night later - but if they dislike it - 7 nights could be a bit much. As far as the type of ship - more than likely they would love anything..... kind of nice to work your way up the ladder. I still love to be impressed by a new larger class ship.

Archived