Digital Camera Photos

mattR

I asked that question several cruises back when I wanted to give one of the waiters a copy of a great flaming dessert photo I had taken. No such luck. If you bring a lap top you can download your daily images and if needed burn to a mini-CD from the computer. Only way to share, unless you bring a very small photo printer (Kodak has a nice one). I need to download my photos every day to free up my memory card (512 MB card), but then I take high resolution images.

George

I bought another memory card to take with me and then just changed to the new one when I filled the one I had. I don't know about downloading your pictures while on the ship & just thought it would be easier that way.

Nancy

I bought another memory card to take with me and then just changed to the new one when I filled the one I had. I don't know about downloading your pictures while on the ship & just thought it would be easier that way.

Nancy

We took our camera and two 512mb cards with us, which was about 800 shots. I was afraid I'd drop the fool thing overboard or something, so when we got to Athens we took them to an internet cafe where for 2.40 euros the nice man put the contents of BOTH cards on a cd for us.

I'm sure other cities have similar. . . .

Lane 99.gif

The Rotterdam photo shop made CDs from memory cards for $14.95. I would think that other ships have similar services. i took several memory cards, a 128 and a 256 for 34 days. I set the camera for medium quality pictures on a scale of good, better, best and was able to get 400+ pictures on just the 256 card. The medium quality emailed from the ship in 3-4 seconds, and quality, well, many of you have seen my albums on my Rotterdam transatlantic link on this board.I can print them 8x10 or larger and they come out very well.

GN

Most ships now have the capability to burn a cd for you from your memory card. Many also have a stand alone terminal where you can put your memory card or a cd in and crop, enhance photos and also order prints, from 4x6 to 8x10's. On our Summit cruise in Sept, I had a bear picture printed to show some friends. On the Pride in Feb, they had the same functions, although the card reader adaptor for xd cards was not working. I believe the Statendam also had capabilities, although I'm not positive since I didn't use them on that cruise. Bring along extra memory cards and batteries.

We recently returned from the Noordam (a lovely classic ship) and most digital services were available at the photo shop including burning a disc for $14:95.

They also sold digital equipment. A very high percentage of people now use digital cameras, I am new to this type of "picture taking" but I am totaly hooked. I just bought an all in one printer that produces excellent quality pictures at a reasonable cost and I am having a lot of fun choosing and printing my own pictures. Extra picture cards are a must in your kit but the ships services seem to be very good.

Happy cruising.

I have two memory cards that give me about 1 GB of storage. However, I'm using a very high resolution so I only get about 300 pictures on the two cards. To solve that problem I've gone to a portable storage device. Very handy and very small....can be used as an MP3 player when I'm not storing pictures on it. Works well and it's easier than carrying a laptop around. Technically I think I should be about to store 12,000 pictures.......should be enough. :rolleyes: Since it has a small color LCD I can review and show the pictures to others out of the camera which is also handy. There are lots and lots of emerging technologies out there for digital photography. It's moving so fast it's hard to stay up.

I find it so funny that we talk about taking 300-500+ photos. In the past, when we used to take 'film' pictures, we would have never taken so many photos. We would have had to have brought over 20 rolls of film with us, plus the cost for having the film developed would have cost the same amount as the cruise. My how things have changed with technology.

The Westerdam had a very capable photo staff on our May cruise. I had 10 rolls of film developed and was very pleased with the quality.

I was aware that people were also bringing these little matchbook-size things from their digicams for some kind of processing.

I just bought a digicam this week and am trying to figure it out in time for our return to the Westerdam for a crossing from Barcelona to FLL next month.

Now I have a couple of those matchbook-size memory cards and am learning fast: Lesson One - The memory cards cost a lot more than matchbooks!

I'm also interested in those small gadgets that can store the results from the memory cards. Any advice on brands, specs, etc?

OceanLov1 - Try here: http://www.archos.com/ This is a great product and works wonderfully. My wife likes it as there's enough romm to put almost all of our music on it and still store the pictures I want to transfer. I don't think I'll be taking anywhere close to 12,000. Will admit that I don't worry with a digital like I did with my film camera. However, I carry both on our cruises so I'll probably still be taking a few rolls of film. :)

I've seen someone post a horror story about their photo CD which was made on a ship. They had the photos from the memory card put on the CD, then erased everything on the card so they could keep using it. The CD ended up being blank. Not a good thing. Unless a CD is completely filled up, it's usually easy to see if it has data on it, by looking at the data side of the disk. You can see a different shade between the area with data, and the area without. It's good to verify that your pics made it to the disk before reformating a memory card. At this time, I have 3 - 256MB cards, and 1 - 128MB card. With my Nikon, I shoot at the "fine" setting with 1600x1200 resolution. The pics run about 1MB per pic. I like using several smaller cards, instead of a couple of 512MB cards. If one card goes bad, or is lost, at least all your pics aren't gone. Each night, I sit down and look at all the pics from that day on the view finder screen on the camera, and I delete any I don't want. That saves a lot of memory.

Ken

I have a small (64) memory stick that can carry data or pictures. You can get the through any computer or electrinics store, or online. I got mine through DELL. They come in all amounts of stoarage up to a gig I think, and are priced from $29 up. The office supply stores also carry them.

You plug the device into a USB port and the computer plug 'n' play regognizes them as external drives. They serve the same purpose as portable storage, like a floppy or a CD, but are easier and more convenient to copy to, and carry.

I've even seen some that look like key chains. Some come in decorator styles and colors.

Memory stick is only 1 name, Just ask for a portable storage device.

Hope this helps.

GN

Archived