Is this unusual?

Z'Loth

Just wondering... is it unusual for a 35yo son to be traveling with his 63yo mother? (Seperate beds, of course.) While I am handling the travel arrangements, I told my mother that once on board ship, "you do your thing, I do my thing, maybe we'll meet up for dinner."

I have a good friend (40) that went on a cruise with his mother. (Don't know her age.) They had a blast together and it wasn't strange at all. Enjoy the cruise. People will think that it is just lovely that you are treating your mother to a cruise with you. It says that the two of you have a very good relation. That is bound to attract any female.;)

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like a great plan............we cruise with my parents (almost 70), and my two sons.....(9 and 14), and we all do our own thing......but everyone knows....dinner is family time and we eat together. I would encourage you to select a table for 8.....they will probably put you together with others traveling like that.

• 4 weeks later...

I had booked a cruise for my boyfriend and I. My boyfriend got a new job and couldn't take the time off for the cruise. So I began the hunt for a replacement travel companion. Asking all the family, my uncle ended up being the winner (he's retired and loves to travel.) We had a great time! For the most part, he did his own thing and I did mine. We did go into ports together because I wanted to do things on my own rather than book ship excursions, but separate shore excursions through the ship would also have been good activities if you're spending more time on the ship together because you meet lots of new folks on the excursions.

Sharing the cabin was no big deal....well, except the time he was in the cabin alone and didn't shut the bathroom door, but he just yelled at me to wait a minute and I gladly obliged! Really though, we were only in the cabin the same times to nap a few afternoons and to sleep late at night.

A cruise is a great way to spend vacations with diverse folks because the ship has something for everyone to enjoy individually as well as together. We had a great time!

I've traveled with my adult children, shared hotel rooms, camping vans and cruise cabins with them, separately and together. Generally, we do follow your strategy of dinner together, but no other expectations. I am so pleased to see my children able to go single and have a great time. And I think the reason they like coming with me is that I don't NEED them. They know I'll hook up with people or do my own thing just as I do when I travel alone.

One device that does help, especially with my son, is a pair of headphones. He likes watching movies at night. I can cover my eyes but hate ear plugs, so he uses ear phones.

As for dressing etc in a small space, with my daughter of course, no problem. If son is present, we warn, "Getting naked." Whoever doesn't want to look guards their eyes. Makes for lots of giggling.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm 29 and I would take my mother in a heartbeat.

I'm admittedly NOT a mama's boy. She would probably drive me nuts at times, and might require a little more attention than the "meet me at dinner" idea. And it might not be as fun as hanging out with my wife or friends.

But at the end of the day, i think we'd have a really great time.

Mothers are the closest thing to perfect human beings, they deserve it.

It probably wouldn't be all that awkward. And if people ask - they will probably admire you for doing it.

I have a friend who was going on her honeymoon and at the last minute her new husband broke his leg and couldn't go. Her new mother-in-law went with her instead. That was one honeymoon to remember. She and her husband did finally get to go on a honeymoon together. Happy ending.

My Grandma, Mom and I are going on a cruise next January for a Girl's week. When we called the Carnival rep to book, Robert said, "Well, aren't you girls gonna have fun?!" We'll be 21, 46 and 78 at the time and get along really well (most of the time anyway).

Don't shun your mom. C'mon...she's your mom for pete's sake.

Sounds like something a teen boy would say, not a grown man. Besides, none of the rest of the passengers paid for your cruise, what the hell do you care what they think? Go, have fun and for pete's sake, be nice to your mom!

Well I know it is not unusual to travel with parents and children.

I had deceided I would go on a cruise this Winter and was talking about it

with my youngest daughter (23) and she said Hey What about me too!? :p

I never had really thought about that. She is so busy- working full time, school at night and a serious boyfriend in Manhattan.

I think we will hang together alot but we will see.

Any way.... can't wait! til we sail.

I dont think its unusual at all.. I recall a cruise where I saw this much older gentleman with this very young nice looking lady and kept thinking.. well you know... :0) we saw them all the time on the ship throughout the week.. we ended up meeting him later in the week at the happy hour at the bar and come to find out he treated his daughter to a cruise for graduation.. Her mother didnt feel like coming!! I dont think I would ever turn down a cruise, but he mentioned him and his wife cruised several times a year and she just wanted him and his daughter to enjoy theirselves... So go... and have a good time and dont worry about doing things with your mom.. :0)

I took my mom on a cruise for a great big birthday gift this past year. She had never been on a 'real' vacation before and I wanted to give her something that said "THANK YOU" in as a big a way as possible for all the wonderful things she did and all the sacrifices she made in order to have children who were successful enough to afford to take her on a cruise for her birthday.

We got a lot of wonderful comments about how nice it was for a mother and daughter to vacation together and it was one of the best times I ever had with my mom. I think it is fantastic for even grown up kids to travel with their parents.

I also took my Mom on a cruise last year and really relished it. We only see each other about once a year and I am keenly aware that she is getting older and will not be around forever. It was nice to spend most of our time onboard together. We also enjoyed our separate times as we each have some different interests (she prefers a piano bar or gambling to karaoke contests or group games). We ate most meals together and always had dinner together. The trip was a nice way of thanking her for all she had done for me over the years.

It's a little different, but I'm taking my 17-year-old daughter this May, just her and I. She graduates from high school next year and will be very busy getting ready for college, so I'm pulling her out of school to cruise this year. I don't have much time before she breaks out on her own and I know this trip is something that she'll remember even after I'm gone.

We can't wait!!! I think it's wonderful that you want to spend that time with her and I don't think it's weird at all. Hope you two have a great time!!

Hi:

I think it's wonderful that you are going on a cruise with your mother. Just think of all of the things our mothers/fathers did for us when we were kids.. this would be your way of saying thank you and I love you mom. I respect you for what you are doing and it's fantastic!

Maybe the two of you will end up doing a few things together and can compromise on excursions, activities, etc. Anything is possible and you will most likely have a better cruise than expected. Of course both of you will probably want time to hang alone and do your own thing but it's also nice to do things together.

Cherish the time with your mom. My dad passed away last month and we were extremely close. I thank God that the last two years with me not working gave me quality time with my dad and my mom as well. Life is short, enjoy the time with your mom, have some pictures together, compromise on things, don't feel awkward hanging out with your mom and have a great time. You're a great son for doing this!

Have a fantastic cruise!

• 4 weeks later...

Be proud to take your mother on the cruise. My mother died before I had the opportunity to do so,she kept putting it off and then it was too late. I always regret that I never nudged her a little harder in the right direction. I was on an Alaskan cruise once and there was an older son with his mother,he was so rude to her and led her to believe that she had ruined his vacation. I exploded at the son and tried to spend as much time as possible with the older lady. She pproved to be very interesting and had a great sense of humour when you spent a little quality time with her. Remember everyone gets old,savour the good times. Mary

My 43 year old brother-in-law is leaving soon with his 72 y.o. mom and 95 y.o. grandma. (Grandma can out-walk them both - she's something else! She'll probably be trying to help them out with their suitcases.) They go on 1-2 cruises a year.

Mom is alone now with Dad gone :( and lives 1000 miles away from me so I call her every day and we talk forever :D

I visit as often as I can!!!!

One visit we decided that in 2006 we're going to do a river cruise that goes through Russia. She's been to St. Petersburg (her and dad literally hit every continent in the world before he died) and she'd love for me to see that part of the world. I've been to Europe several times and all over the Caribbean but I am so looking forward to this different type of cruising...and seeing that part of the world!!!

Archived