Odd booking on Voyger re: Next Cruise, taxes and fuel

firefly333

I just called to book Voyager for next April. Strange RCL is having to have a supervisor over-ride the system, still on hold.

The said taxes went down from when I got the next cruise certificate but fuel surcharges went up to $10 (they were $5 when I got the certificate).

They wanted to charge me the higher taxes from the date when I got the certificate because thats when I booked the Next Cruise, but also charge me the higher fuel surcharge of $10 per day. They finally agreed I couldnt be charged the higher of the two for both dates, so they are giving me the taxes due today to combine with the $10 per day fuel surcharge. They cant have it both ways.

Im on hold while they are trying to give me today's taxes on the cruise, only about $20 difference, but Im also surprised taxes are lower today than they were last spring, then they are tacking on the $10 per day fuel surcharge of today's rate, not the $5 rate from when I got the next cruise.

Just something folks might want to be aware of.

I've converted 3 nextcruise certificates to specific sailing dates. In my experiences, the fuel supplement was charged at the rate in effect on the date the nextcruise certificate converted to a specific ship and sail date. Specifically:

I booked a Nextcruise in while onboard Serenade of the Seas in March when the fuel surcharge going rate was $5 per day. When I converted it early this month for a December sailing date, the invoice I was sent on that date stated that the fuel surcharge would be $5 per day. However, when I viewed the invoice later that same week, the online invoice showed a $10 per day charge. Per a Crown and Anchor rep, the computer routinely updates invoices to reflect the fuel supplement being charged on the date that a nextcruise in converted to a specific sailing. It appears that the rep that you are on hold with is doing the updating so that the computer won't have to do it.

I also have a cruise scheduled for 2009 that was originally a nextcruise booking made in June 2007. It was converted over to a specific sailing date in January 2007 when the current fuel charge was $5 per day. On this booking, the fuel charge has remained at $5 per day even though the sailing date is farther out than the December trip that I have planned.

Hopefully, this helps explains how Royal Caribbean is handling the nextcruise booking fuel supplement situation.:)

I just booked a cruise with a Next Cruise that I purchased last November, when it was $5 per day. I am being charged $10 per day for it. Now, there is a note in red on all invoices that says you will be charged the going surcharge rate when you book your deposit IN FULL. There's the catch.

Firefly, for our Feb. cruise we were charged the $10 fuel charge because we only booked a few months ago. When I was doing my daily price check a few days ago, noticed the inside guarantees really dropped, so I down graded from PR to inside guarantee. The webiste showed 150.26 taxes when my old taxes were 176 and change. I got some song and dance, and told them the $150.26 is posted on the website and I would like the lower price. Crown and Anchor straightened everything out, but I did have to rebook to get the lower tax amount. Imo, it is because they dropped one of our ports. Crown and Anchor is a delight to deal with. The many reps and resolution supervisor I dealt with before getting to Crown and Anchor, not so much. Sure wish I lived in Wichita still so I could work for RCI!!!! This whole transaction to save $26 took about an hour and a half, and that is being conservative.

Marie

was it worth the 20 bucks to get a double fuel surcharge? should have left sleeping dogs lay!

I never said it was a choice, I said they wanted to charge me the higher rate of each date, the date I bought the next cruise certificate for taxes and todays date for the fuel surcharge.

I must not have been clear, why I thought it was odd they wanted to combine the highest of both charges.

btw prices are great right now, just saw them today.

Firefly, for our Feb. cruise we were charged the $10 fuel charge because we only booked a few months ago. When I was doing my daily price check a few days ago, noticed the inside guarantees really dropped, so I down graded from PR to inside guarantee. The webiste showed 150.26 taxes when my old taxes were 176 and change. I got some song and dance, and told them the $150.26 is posted on the website and I would like the lower price. Crown and Anchor straightened everything out, but I did have to rebook to get the lower tax amount. Imo, it is because they dropped one of our ports. Crown and Anchor is a delight to deal with. The many reps and resolution supervisor I dealt with before getting to Crown and Anchor, not so much. Sure wish I lived in Wichita still so I could work for RCI!!!! This whole transaction to save $26 took about an hour and a half, and that is being conservative.

Marie

Thanks, I wasnt doing it, didnt even know about it, it was the TA dealing with RCL today, I asked her which fuel surcharge I was getting.

I was actually just happy they would book the cruise, they were on hold with RCL and just telling me what happened and why it was taking so long to confirm.

I was afraid I had a problem because Next Cruise was booked in the name of a warehouse type shopping place that we just let our membership expire, thought I would have to have C&A move it but the TA booked it no problem, even though my membership was expired with them.

All is well. I just thought it was wierd that they said RCL wanted to charge me the higher of both dates. TA fixed it not me. I was just on hold while they were getting a supervisor at RCL to fix the price for what the cruise books for today, which makes sense since its a new booking, not a existing booking. I didnt have a date so for the first time I did a next cruise. Only did one future booking and never a next cruise cert, so it is all new to me.

Not to "highjack " this thread but all the posters seem to have booked nextcruises so I am sure you know the answer to this!

What OBC do you receive for a 10day cruise / balcony cabin?

We just converted our first NextCruise to a panama canal partial transit.

I am curious.................

I just made final payment for a 10 nighter that originally was a Nextcruise booking. I asked the same question about OBC, and according to C & A, the OBC is awarded as follows:

3-5 nights = $50 OBC

6-9 nights = $100 OBC

10 or more nights = $200 OBC

You are correct. I must have had a brain f@rt. :p ;) Sorry for the misinformation in my previous reply. :o

Marie

I just called RCCL to see about this same refund for this same itinerary. I would never have checked the tax difference had it not been mentioned here. (Thanks Exalthim) Unfortunately, the gentleman I spoke to was clueless as per the makeup of taxes and fees and did not know why there was a difference. He suggested my calling back tomorrow when I can talk to someone in a different department. Now I'm not sure it's worth more than 1.5 hours of my time to save $26. I would think the taxes would autogenerate when the port was removed. Otherwise RCCL in pocketing the extra money because they are not paying the port fees in Progresso. My concern too is that they are going to want to charge more for the fuel surcharge since ours was set at the lower rate. There are four cabins involved so it's really like $125 difference when you add it up.

I just called RCCL to see about this same refund for this same itinerary. I would never have checked the tax difference had it not been mentioned here. (Thanks Exalthim) Unfortunately, the gentleman I spoke to was clueless as per the makeup of taxes and fees and did not know why there was a difference. He suggested my calling back tomorrow when I can talk to someone in a different department. Now I'm not sure it's worth more than 1.5 hours of my time to save $26. I would think the taxes would autogenerate when the port was removed. Otherwise RCCL in pocketing the extra money because they are not paying the port fees in Progresso. My concern too is that they are going to want to charge more for the fuel surcharge since ours was set at the lower rate. There are four cabins involved so it's really like $125 difference when you add it up.

Hello,

the dropped port was never confirmed for the reason in the decrease of taxes. It is just my theory, which I did share with the various RCI people I talked with. However, none of them knew why, and only knew they could not give me the lower price, lol. Ultimately, I did have to cancel and rebook to get the current lower tax rate. They were able to move the funds over so there was no having to wait for my cc to be refunded, etc. A new booking number was reissued. If you are a crown and anchor member, I suggest going straight to them. They were the ones who ultimately helped me. I was getting no where otherwise except passed around and on hold for a very long time. It became a principal issue with me, lol.

Marie

I just called RCCL to see about this same refund for this same itinerary. I would never have checked the tax difference had it not been mentioned here. (Thanks Exalthim)

Im glad I started the thread then about them trying to charge me the old tax rate (even though I didnt have a cruise even booked), and the new fuel surcharge. Yes, it was $20 or so, I didnt add up the exact amount between the two totals she gave me.

I still find it very odd that RCL tried to charge me this even though the booking was only made today.

Hello,

the dropped port was never confirmed for the reason in the decrease of taxes. It is just my theory, which I did share with the various RCI people I talked with. However, none of them knew why, and only knew they could not give me the lower price, lol. Ultimately, I did have to cancel and rebook to get the current lower tax rate. They were able to move the funds over so there was no having to wait for my cc to be refunded, etc. A new booking number was reissued. If you are a crown and anchor member, I suggest going straight to them. They were the ones who ultimately helped me. I was getting no where otherwise except passed around and on hold for a very long time. It became a principal issue with me, lol.

Marie

I am not a C&A member, this is our first RCCL cruise, so I am up against the powers that be without the support of C&A. I feel the same as you, it's the principal, but not sure I will go as far as rebooking because then I am going to have to argue with them about the higher fuel charge. But IF this is the difference in port charges AND they are not going to be stopping in Progresso and paying those port charges, then I can't see how they can legally take our money. I understand this is only a guess on your part (though a VERY GOOD ONE) as to why the taxes changed and I bet I will be hard pressed to find anyone at RCCL willing to find out the real reason.

Archived