I am pretty stupid........

Disneycruiser#1

We were on the 8/28 CP that was delayed in getting back to port because of the hurricane. We were due back in port Saturday am and did not get back to port until Monday am. I submitted a claim to our trip insurance company for phone calls made from Mexico when we found out about the delay........the claim was just denied based on the fact that the calls ($400) worth were made during the course of the "scheduled cruise aka trip". This is correct technically, the calls were made once Princess made the announcement we would be in stay in Cozumel and the Port of Everglades was shut down but they had to announce it because we had no where to go and had to stay in Cozumel and then circle the Gulf until the port was re-opened.

Princess advised people to use the pay phones on the pier and such to advise those needed of our delay. My husband and I got off the ship and waited in loooonggggg line to call my Mother in law who was watching our young sons, call his CO (he is active duty) and our Travel Agent and US Air directly.................basically this is the lesson learned.

If we would have done nothing and just notified my Mother in law but not changed our air travel home we would have met the travel companies requirements. But since we were proactive in having our flights changed each time an delay was made we are left with the bills. If we would have just shown up on Monday 2 days late at the FLL airport we would have not made it home until Thursday and then we would be reimbursed for hotel, air, food and such but since the delay was announced while "in the course of the scheduled cruise" we will not be paid anything even though we were delayed by 2 days in getting back to port.

Princess announced we would be delayed Thursday and then each day would add a day until we found out the port was open Monday and we would get back into port Monday morning............this just left a bad taste in my mouth. Us Air did not charge a dime for changes because of the hurricane so that to me is modern customer service but the travel insurance company will not pay us a dime in expenses we incurred making arrangments to get home at a later date.

Princess gave free internet service which was nice but it was hard to use because of being out at sea the web was slow, you were limited on the time you could use and some of our arrangements had to be made by phone. Princess also made all calls free but with only 4 lines free we could never get one out so basically we had to wait in line to send an email to change our flights and then go back and wait in line for a response email etc.

When we did back into port and to the FLL airport and made it out of FLL on the last flight of the day. We were told IF we had not made the changes since everyone was delayed from the weather the next flight they could put us on would be Thursday morning.

So class, I am naive and I guess not very bright. Just as Florida has taken a horrible hit from the hurricanes the travel industry has too so friends they will deny anything they can in order to make up for their losses.

It took them over 7 weeks to tell us no and all we wanted refunded was the calls made from Cozumel when Princess announced our extended delay. So next time if we have our sons with us and we are delayed we will be irresponsible we will just have a drink sit by the pool and deal with it when we get back and let travel insurance pick up the cost but then the fine print would deny that too.

The rep. I spoke with also equated their large number of claims now bc of the hurricances to 9/11 and she said they had survived the financial losses of that time and they will this time.

I took that comment pretty hard since I was on the phone with her and looking at my active duty Marine husband who is leaving for Iraq shortly............I told her that was an awful thing to say and that her companies bottom line is met because of finding loop holes to deny truthful claims and I would not equate hurricanes to 9/11 ever..................hurricanes are natural disasters and a lot of bad having four in a row but but 9/11 was something evil.

Anyone who wants to know the company email me and I will tell you so this will not get pulled.

DC

I don't know why you couldn't list the travel insurance company.

I would be curious which company it is. Out of curiosity, how many minutes is $400 worth of calls? I have not called from Mexico and have no clue if this is 20 minutes or 2 hours worth.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Hopefully you will save some people some money here.

Maybe it is just me, but their reasoning made sense to me. I also wonder, as does Coral, what phone system charged you $400 for long distance from Mexico. We've called from those same pay phones and used our AT&T card and the charges were quite reasonable.

I wonder if that is what was kicked out. $400 is not a reasonable amount to pay for 2 or 3 calls to advise people of the situation and make arrangements. I don't think their comments you posted at the end were proper, but then, many people are unthinking, and I believe you ran across one. At least that's my take on it.

Mark T.

Have you attempted to make an appeal? One thing I've learned from working for the government is that there is always someone higher up to hear what you have to say. $400 is alot for phone calls but under the circumstances I'm sure you spent a lot of time on hold and getting the runaround while trying to reschedule. The airlines especially suffered an overload during that time and since dealing with them under normal coditions has become an ordeal this had to be a nightmare.

Disney, you got a rough break all the way around. As I recall, you had a hard time before the cruise being sure your husband could get off, then the cruise itself was extended due to the hurricanes, and now the insurance is denying your claim...and to top it all off your husband is in Iraq!! I feel for you, and wish you the best.

I remember hearing of someone who made a few phone calls from a port (I thought Grand Caymen) and a call to an answering machine cost him $25 or something very rediculous.

So I am curious also what telphone company charged you for these calls also.

While the cost of the calls seems high, it is quite believable. Many of us purchase calling cards, but these calls you made were definately unplanned. Even using calling cards takes some planning as these vary between companies and many pay phones gobble up extra minutes as fees. Even with your story, I would still be proactive in this situation -- regardless of whether the insurance company will reimburse the expenses. Getting home as early as possible is much better than waiting at the airport daily hoping for a standby seat. Also, thank your husband for service to our country -- it's families such as yours that allow us the freedon we all enjoy.

I agree with those who said to appeal.

We have been successful getting insurance companies to change their minds on whether something is covered or not (not travel claims, but home and dental ones).

I would write something along the lines of what you have posted here, saying you fail to understand the economical sense of their decision, that you saved the insurance company lots of money (give them a ball park figure of hotels, meals, etc.) by being pro active and that now they are penalizing you. Find out someone higher up in the company (such as head of customer relations - if the company has a web-site that is a good place to find names of officers, etc.). Explain to them that their policy is encouraging people to waste money and increase claims. Detail exactly why you called the people you called at the times you called them.

I know several people who work in customer relations areas. They are instructed to deny or offer minimal satisfaction first, then gradually increase appeasement. The old saw "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" bit actually works.

For all of your and your kind words thank you. For those of you who helped explain what I meant thank you. I posted while upset and did not proof it.

1. You are right I did not compare 9/11 to the extension or delay of the cruise and 1000's of claims hitting this insurance company now. Their CSR did and I called her on it telling her never in would a hurricance or a delay equate the evil of 9/11. So thanks for those who clarified that for me. I also said it hit home bc no matter who you vote for many of us are still living out the war and her comment was not only wrong but stupid.

2. We used the pay phones on the pier in Cozumel. This time we did not have calling cards. We stood in line several times to try and get through to my husbands CO, US Air and our TA. We had to leave message with some and go back and call back. We also had to call my MIL who had our sons. Why in the heck would I lie about the cost. I have the Visa ands Discover bills to prove it. We were on hold with US Air and others for 30 minutes and our TA to get through and it adds up fast.

3. I am sorry about the block I will fix it and tell anyone who wants to know the company.

4. Being a former SBA Loan Officer and contract paralegal I read the contract carefully before submitting it. I also was taught the service way of owning the problem and not blaming the customer. Even if you do not have something to tell the customer that is positive.

5. Bottom line, if we would have waited until we got back to port Monday trip insurance would consider this a trip delay and pay for all hotel, food and new air travel.

6. Lesson learned be irresponsible if time is not important wait unitl you get back and then deal with it.

7. Marktac and Coral, we used a Visa and Discover credit card and yes the calls were that high. At times we were on hold for up to 60 minutes but we knew we were heading back to sea and had to get these calls out. For example we had to call US Air several times and only got through one time. We had to call my husbands CO at the office, when not their track him down and home and then his cell phone. We did not have or use a calling card. This was unexpected and a highly unsual situation.

We did not claim for anything other than the calls.

8. We will use US Air again and our TA because they came through for us and did not charge us a penny to change our flights over 3 times.

I posted this just giving a heads up, not for sympathy or approval. I just wanted to let others know our experience. As I stated at the beginning of my op, they seem to be operating within the contact but this was a highly unusual situation. We had to make the calls when Princess announced our delay and many calls or arrangements could not be dealth with via the internet.

I agree this is a situation where a waiver due to the situation should be allowed. This was an interupption, we were dealyed until Monday and we were proactive so we could get home. I told them if we had done nothing we would have incurred hundreds of dollars in new air fare, being stuck in FLL until Thursday in a hotel so my being proactive they saved money and we did not.

That was my point. Thanks for your kinds words about our great troops. No matter how you feel come Tuesday our troops need all of our support.

DC

Disneycruiser - I think the email option in the profile was blocked when they switched to the new boards. I had mine listed and now mine says blocked also. If you figure out how to change it - let me know. I tried a few months ago and couldn't figure it out, so I now put my email address in my signature.

I think many of us given the same situation, would have done the same thing you did (called the airline, the travel agent, family, work, etc. . )

I agree with the above post that sometimes insurance companies deny initial claims and once you contest their answer, it goes to a different group of people for reconsideration. Good luck in this.

When you hear back - please let us all know how it worked out.

Disney Cruiser-

I work for a large (health) insurance company; there is ALWAYS an appeal process in place for insurance companies. Make sure your request is in writing and always document the names of anyone you have spoken to in your letter. If you are not satisfied with the answer you receive after you file a written complaint, EVERY state has a State Insurance Commissioner you can file copies of all your correspondence, policies and your grievance to.

I see you live in NC, so here is the link to the NC State Ins. Commish:

http://www.ncdoi.com/

and here is the link to file an online complaint. Please ONLY do this after you have tried to resolve this w/the travel insurance carrier first (most will try to reconsile with you before getting the dreaded letter from the Insurance Commisioner......believe me, we do NOT like getting those letters!!) Good Luck!! ;)

http://www.ncdoi.com/Consumer/InsuranceInfo/Complaint.asp

Archived