PV or Mazatlan Tequila Factory Tours

Clay Clayton

I see on NCL's excursion list that in both PV and Mazatlan that they offer Tequila Factory Tours. I hate the whole bus with 49 of your favorite friend so does anyone know if its possible to do a tequila tour in either port on your own?

Thanks,

Clay

I just finnished exploring on line for a Tequila tour in Mazatlan. I have booked privatley like this for Costa Rica and St Lucia Tours and have not had a problem. I go with all info I receive on Review boards and then make a wise decision upon that. Here is my chiosewith the first one being the one I booked.

http://www.mazatlan.com.mx/tours/mazatlantequila.htm#cruise

http://www.mazatlanvantours.com/CruiseShipEnglish1024.htm

(pull down Tours..., then select)

http://www.mazatlantours.org/tequila-tour.htm

I just finnished exploring on line for a Tequila tour in Mazatlan. I have booked privatley like this for Costa Rica and St Lucia Tours and have not had a problem. I go with all info I receive on Review boards and then make a wise decision upon that. Here is my chiosewith the first one being the one I booked.

http://www.mazatlan.com.mx/tours/mazatlantequila.htm#cruise

http://www.mazatlanvantours.com/CruiseShipEnglish1024.htm

(pull down Tours..., then select)

http://www.mazatlantours.org/tequila-tour.htm

The tour sounds great, just a heads up, tequila has origin denomination and the agave liquor made in the state of Sinaloa (where Mazatlán is) can not be legally sold as tequila.

Tequila town is in the state of Jalisco (where PV is) but i'm not sure if the origin denomination covers PV's municipality.

*** Edit: I checked and OD covers all municipalitys in Jalisco, so tequila mada in PV is legal ***

I see on NCL's excursion list that in both PV and Mazatlan that they offer Tequila Factory Tours. I hate the whole bus with 49 of your favorite friend so does anyone know if its possible to do a tequila tour in either port on your own?

Thanks,

Clay

You will not find a working tequila factory (distillery) in any port. At best, you will be taken to a small demonstration facility where they will explain the history of tequila, show how it was made in the old days, let you sample a local "small batch" brand and give you the opportunity to BUY their product at inflated prices.

As long as you go for the entertainment value, you should have a good time. If you are looking to sample a wide variety of tequila in Vallarta, I would suggest you look for someplace like Casa de Tequila http://www.puerto-vallarta.com/the-house-of-the-tequila-review/default.asp or stop in at one of several "tequilla factory outlet" stores that have opened up in Vallarta during the last few years. They are a great place to taste/buy a variety of flavored tequilas at reasonable prices. (warning -the timeshare sharks often hang out in these factory outlet stores).

Remember ... when shopping or dining in Mexico, they use the "$" sign just like the states. If the listed price doesn't have USD in it, then the price is in pesos.

Enjoy!

Just a little further discussion to add to the excellent information already provided by "MSN-Travelers". In order for the liquor in question to be sold as tequila, it must be made from 100% Blue (Weber) Agave. It also must be registered the the Mexican government. So here's a shocker to many of you. Standard Jose Quervo is NOT TEQUILA, it is a "mixto" (blended). It contains molasses which is responsible for the wonderful hangovers it provides. That doesn't necessarily mean that all "mixto's" are bad (or cheap). El Jimador Reposado a great mixto for mixed drinks like margaritas.

As MSN-Travelers stated, buying "tequila" at one of the factory tours is way over priced. Also you are probably not buying "tequila" unless you are at a real factory which requires a trip up to the towns of Tequila or Guadalajara or some of the other small towns nearby. What you will find at the factory tours is "Raicilla" which is bootleg (unregistered tequila). Whether it is real tequila or a mixto is anyone guess. If you buy it, you are donig so because or the taste or the novelty. A couple of years back, we bought a couple of bottles of "Racilla Mismoloya" at a factory tour. The cost was $30 for a 500ml bottle. We bought it because it had a very smooth taste and it was a novelty item for our tequila fanatic friends. By comparison, you can typically buy a good quality 700-850ml (even up to 1 liter) bottle of tequila like Herradura or Casadores for under $17 in PV or Cabo. Fine quality tequilas can be had for under $40 typically.

Just one more small tidbit. The Mexican people do not "slam shooters" of tequila. That is a distinction left for tourists and other foolish people. They sip it just like you would any fine liquor. Slow down and enjoy this fine liquor.

Just a little further discussion to add to the excellent information already provided by "MSN-Travelers". In order for the liquor in question to be sold as tequila, it must be made from 100% Blue (Weber) Agave. It also must be registered the the Mexican government. So here's a shocker to many of you. Standard Jose Quervo is NOT TEQUILA, it is a "mixto" (blended). It contains molasses which is responsible for the wonderful hangovers it provides. That doesn't necessarily mean that all "mixto's" are bad (or cheap). El Jimador Reposado a great mixto for mixed drinks like margaritas.

A blended agave liquor can be called tequila if at least has 51% of agave juice. So Standard José Cuervo IS a tequila but IMHO not a good one.

In every tequila label you'll find if it's made of 100% agave or not.

A cheap 100% agave tequila is Mayorazgo, is about 130 pesos per a 750ml bottle.

Cheers

A blended agave liquor can be called tequila if at least has 51% of agave juice. So Standard José Cuervo IS a tequila but IMHO not a good one.

In every tequila label you'll find if it's made of 100% agave or not.

A cheap 100% agave tequila is Mayorazgo, is about 130 pesos per a 750ml bottle.

Cheers

Where to taste - A major tequila distiller (La Cofradia) has opened a string of “factory outlet stores” in Vallarta. These are a good place to go and sample the various types of tequila. They are also the best place to sample and buy flavored tequilas. Don’t waste your time on a local “tequila factory” tour unless you want to go for the entertainment value.

Where to shop - You will get the best selection and the best prices at the local food store or local liquor store. In Vallarta, we use the MEGA food store just north of the Sheraton (see map http://www.vallarta-info.com/n_downtown.html) and a liquor store downtown. http://www.puerto-vallarta.com/the-house-of-the-tequila-review/default.asp

What to buy - Tequila that has “100% blue agave” or “100% agave” on the label. Anything else is swill bottled for export and for sale to tourists. By law, all tequila has to be double distilled and is crystal clear when made. It is often marketed as “silver” or “blanco” on the label. Aged tequila takes on a golden color. Tequila that has been aged for less than one year is called reposado while tequila aged one year or more is called añejo.

Any clear 100% agave tequila is good in tequila based mixed drinks. Using reposado makes for a smoother drink and significantly reduces the potential for a hangover.

Who’s Tequila to buy – There are over 600 brands of tequila on the market today. I enjoy the following: Cuervo’s Tradicional and Reserva de la Familia, Sauza’s Hornitos and Herradura Silver for general use. Good sippin’ tequilas include Cuervo’s 100% agave version of its 1800; Sauza’s 100% agave version of its premium Tres Generaciones; Herradura Reposado, Don Julio Reposado.

For more information on tequila than you will ever want to know, hit this web site: http://www.ianchadwick.com/tequila/tequila_index.html or http://www.ianchadwick.com/tequila/history.htm

Enjoy!

I still refuse to call standard Jose Cuervo tequila. No self respecting Latino is going to have that in their home. You know as well as I do, the only reason that it is carried in the stores in Mexico is for the dumb tourists. The Cuervo family does make many fine tequila's, although surprisingly, I find the high end "Reserva de la Familia" a little harsh for my palette. I generally stick with good quality blanco's and reposado's for their taste. Some of the Anejo's are a little to woody for me.

MSN-travelers, we have similar tastes in tequila!

SDPadreFan, unless you're talking blanco, the price is now higher than $17 for a well-known tequila (unless it has gone back down since last December, which I would be thrilled to find out that it had!). I can remember when $8 bought a good bottle of reposado...not all that long ago, either.

I was on one of the Tequilla tours in PV and it was a hoot. We tasted all types of tequilla and had a great time. I found the prices for the product to be very reasonable. Next time I am going to the factory stores for my purchases. One note, you must sample Cream Tequilla, it is delicious and to my knowledge totally unavailable in the states.

Tequila Cream is quite good. The main brand to look for is "1921". I believe they are also the originators of this mix. "1921" also makes some very good tequila's as well. It is a short square bottle. Of important note - Tequila Cream has a short shelf life. If you buy it, use it as quickly as possible. It's pretty much toast after 1 year. Also - they put a heavy latex type seal over the bottle that can be a real b__ch to get off without destroying the inner cork topper so be patient and careful.

Its possible that the brand is once again available in the US. At one time, the family was slowly fazing out the product (the father was getting old) but my understanding is that the younger brothers who are now running the business have re-instituted the brand. We have bought Tequila Cream in both Zihuatanejo as well as Cabo.

I also have to say that it's not a totally unique taste. My take on it, is that it tastes very similar to a Kahlua & Cream drink. But it's still good.

• 5 months later...

Thanks,

Clay

Exactly what I was trying to find. I don't like the bus tour scene. So does anyone have a recommendation on tequilla tasting tours? Prefer easy access-not far from PV or Maz. Thanks.:)

Exactly what I was trying to find. I don't like the bus tour scene. So does anyone have a recommendation on tequilla tasting tours? Prefer easy access-not far from PV or Maz. Thanks.:)

I understand your desie to get away from the herd. I can't recommend any one place as all that I have been to were part of a tour or are no longer in business. There used to be one located in Pitillal, just east of Sam's Club, that was easy to get too but I can't find their web site on the net any more. So many of these places live or die based on the contract they may have (as a tour stop) with a larger tour company.

I have two suggestions: 1) Contact Johann & Sandra (puertovallartatours.net) directly with you question. Their web site banner is often at the top of this forum. 2) Look at Hacienda Doña Engracia. Their web site is http://www.haciendadonaengracia.com/ . Never been there, think we went past it once on the way to a ship's canopy tour site, and you might some information via a google search.

Just to tag on, Soriano's is about two blocks south of the terminal area (very easy walk). They have a fairly good selection of tequilas at a very reasonable price. You can go to their website, poke around, and you will find their selection with prices (in pesos). They also have Damiana at a much lower price than you can get here in Calif.

Back to the original question, in Mazatlan there is a guy named Frank that has private "tequila" tours. We booked with him for this November.

I understand your desie to get away from the herd. I can't recommend any one place as all that I have been to were part of a tour or are no longer in business. There used to be one located in Pitillal, just east of Sam's Club, that was easy to get too but I can't find their web site on the net any more. So many of these places live or die based on the contract they may have (as a tour stop) with a larger tour company.

I have two suggestions: 1) Contact Johann & Sandra (puertovallartatours.net) directly with you question. Their web site banner is often at the top of this forum. 2) Look at Hacienda Doña Engracia. Their web site is http://www.haciendadonaengracia.com/ . Never been there, think we went past it once on the way to a ship's canopy tour site, and you might some information via a google search.

We were in PV last Fall and did the little tequila tour in Pitillal. The name is El Tapatio. Yes, east of Sam's Club. Corner of Lazaro Cardenas and Etziquio Corona. Don't know of a website for them, but have a phone #044-322-206-7044. Very small place, but some good samples. Obviously tequilla NOT made here....just a demonstration.

Archived