If you want 100 shares of Carnival stock

DqALEX

if you know anything about stocks you know that you're (relatively) safe if you buy early in the morning.

The example I gave where Carnival peaked at $24.94 did not follow your stock buying example. The qtr's results were provided prior to the markets opening, investors liked the news and the stock peaked. Carnival then did a conference call at I believe 11:00 a.m est explaining their results, as the call went on, investors did not like the explanations and stock dropped. Had someone bought early that a.m., they would still be holding waiting to sell to break even. Stocks will peak and fall at different times for different reasons. The best advice is to know what you are buying and to be able to afford the consequences, beyond that I think it is a crap shoot.

The example I gave where Carnival peaked at $24.94 did not follow your stock buying example. The qtr's results were provided prior to the markets opening, investors liked the news and the stock peaked. Carnival then did a conference call at I believe 11:00 a.m est explaining their results, as the call went on, investors did not like the explanations and stock dropped. Had someone bought early that a.m., they would still be holding waiting to sell to break even. Stocks will peak and fall at different times for different reasons. The best advice is to know what you are buying and to be able to afford the consequences, beyond that I think it is a crap shoot.

The market in general is a crap shoot. I'll certainly agree with you there.

Yeah I bought mine last month for $3,684 and that was better than last year when it was $51 a share..I'm getting $100 back in 15 days.......Dennis

Is that all one gets for having 100 shares? I suppose if you were to take 4 or 5 cruises a year it would be a worthwhile thing to do.

Is that all one gets for having 100 shares? I suppose if you were to take 4 or 5 cruises a year it would be a worthwhile thing to do.

You should never buy a stock solely for a benefit like this. It's just a little perk for stockholders, but there's no guarantee they'll continue to renew it.

The shareholder's benefit is a perk, and only a perk. The amt. of the benefit varies by the cruiseline (N.America vs. European) within CCL's portfolio and the length of the cruise. While the stock was falling, we were uncertain where it would bottom out and held out until after it started to climb back up as I believe the longer term picture will provide a reasonable return on where we bought. As others have posted on this topic many times, never buy the stock for just this purpose.

I bought stock soley for the purpose of OBCs!

I had the money in an IRA and CCL has done better for me so far than any of my so-called-solid well-thought-out professionally-advised stocks. So there, I said it, criticize all you want.

I am $200 ahead in OBCs and $347 over what I paid for it.

I bought stock soley for the purpose of OBCs!

I had the money in an IRA and CCL has done better for me so far than any of my so-called-solid well-thought-out professionally-advised stocks. So there, I said it, criticize all you want.

I am $200 ahead in OBCs and $347 over what I paid for it.

Nice move. I don;t think you can go wrong with the price you paid. I hope to be able to buy more soon to off set my high buy.

You should never buy a stock solely for a benefit like this. It's just a little perk for stockholders, but there's no guarantee they'll continue to renew it.

Normally, I'd agree with you, but I just bought RCI for under $8 and I'm booked on 2 B2Bs of 14 and 15 days. That's a $500 OBC. Seemed like a no-brainer to me. The icing on the cake is that it's gone up almost $2 since then.

Normally, I'd agree with you, but I just bought RCI for under $8 and I'm booked on 2 B2Bs of 14 and 15 days. That's a $500 OBC. Seemed like a no-brainer to me. The icing on the cake is that it's gone up almost $2 since then.

No doubt it's a great deal - I bought RCL in the $7's as well and have already benefited from it. RCL stock appears more volatile than CCL though... perhaps it was buying it "on the cheap" and then watching it go into the $5's ! :eek:

Tom

i didnt read the whole thread, but what are the requirements?

do you have to buy the 100 shares before you book your cruise? do you have to fax proof by a certain point before your cruise?

do you have to hold on to the shares for a certain point after your cruise?

Own 100 shares before or after you book your cruise.

You have to fax proof to them.

I would assume you need to still own them at time of cruise...

You should not be purchasing CCL just for the OBC... CCL could lose more than that in value, in just one day. You should purchase CCL based on fundamentals... as you would with any stock.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

All of you have been a huge help to me. I own no stock, have no IRA, no 401k, and have been reading this thread like a fanatic. I am considering purchasing some stock (long haul, for sure, I can't afford to go off all willy-nilly), and I cannot express how grateful I am for the information that all of you have given me.

I will continue to watch what goes on with both CCL and RCL, because I am a recent addict to cruising and certainly would like to have a diversified portfolio (RCL, CCL, hotel, airline...are you sensing a theme here?)!

My one question is this: is there any sort of stock ticker or email program that keeps you updated on only handpicked stocks that you'd like to watch, or are you all just trolling various business sites and things for information? I don't have cable tv and as such, get no channels at all. Most information I get comes out of my computer. Any info you have on tracking this stuff would be awesome.

Thanks to you all again. Especially DQAlex, who always seems practical yet positive (no matter how much you may regret buying in at such a high rate!).

considering dipping my toesies in,

Theora

I bought 100 shares at $19 dollars a share. It was around $25 a share today last time I looked. So when I combine my $100 obc along with a profit of $600, I'm quite happy. I do realize that it may go down again, but I bought this stock as a long-term investment because I believe Carnival will weather this current economic mess. Could be wrong, but seeing as how every single mutual fund that I invested in on the advice of so-called experts has tanked, I decided to be my own advisor. I will see if it pays off in the long run.

Theora, I can not speak to the cost of any of the trading programs based in the U.S. but up here in Canada, I am using a program called Questrade. It has no minimum activity requirements, costs $4.95/trade or .01/share (whichever is larger) and provides me the ability to see real time trading. I am sure you could find something similar based in the States or go with delayed quotes that are found on many websites.

PS - it has been a good few days for the cruising stocks but that can change in a blink. If you are considering RCL for the shareholder's benefit, they made a major change at the end of last year and you can not combine obc's so if you get a great deal with an obc, you have to choose between that obc and the shareholder's benefit obc.

Sent my email yesterday morning, and my OBC is already showing in my documents.

But I wish y'all would not use this thread to bicker about investing in stocks. That has nothing to do with Carnival and their SH benefits. It's OT and making an already-long thread too long (hence the "I haven't read the entire thread..." posts).

But I wish y'all would not use this thread to bicker about investing in stocks. That has nothing to do with Carnival and their SH benefits. It's OT and making an already-long thread too long (hence the "I haven't read the entire thread..." posts).

I disagree, the topic of this thread was not sh benefits but:

icon1.gifIf you want 100 shares of Carnival stock

Its now only $3,274.00.

So a discussion of the pros & cons of the stock purchase at any dollar level is relevant to the topic. A post about how quickly the obc showed up in my documents could be viewed by some as of questionable relevance to the thread topic.

Where did you send the email to? I think last time I faxed the info over and it took quite a while to show the credit.

Archived