More Samana Questions

jajsmom

Having just found out that we're going here a few days ago, we're really unsure of what to do. I had actually been looking forward to Casa de Campo, but this port is not peaking my interest at all.

We're not really beach people, but usually like to get off the boat to explore the port area, if nothing else. Anyone here recently to know what is currently open in town? There are reports of cruise line supported areas in "town". Can anyone confirm this, and if so, what is available?

I understand that we have to tender here. Will my teens hate me if i make them do this? We will be on RCCL, and it's just not in the cards to pay $59/pp to go to the beach. Is there anything culturally meaningful of even an interesting diversion to do in this area?

Thanks for any help. I know that this is not a very active board.

Lauri

You guys are docking in casa de campo?
A few days ago, RCL dropped Casa de Campo from many (perhaps all?) of it's itineraries. The OP was scheduled to dock at La Romana (Casa de Campo) and is now tendering at Samana instead.

This is the OP. What I want to know, is, what is there to do in town/around the port. We're doing a lot of other expensive excursions, so I can't see spending $59/pp to go to the beach. Is it worth even getting off the ship, especially now that we have to tender?

Well, I lived in DR and Spent a couple weeks in Samana, I recommend seeing it, but if you dont want to, dont. Cayo Leventado is not worth 59pp to go to, thats for sure.

Please, what do you recommend seeing in Samana, without doing a tour.? That's the answer that I'm trying to get.

We were in Samana in January and you can go into town and walk around a little. There really isn't much to do besides the limited shopping. There is a local's market you can buy some items at. If you walk a litttle further into town there are a few more shops maybe 5-8. We went into town after our ATV excursion and we were glad we did just to see it, but there's not much. There were several children trying to sell seashells to us along the way.

We did LOVE Samana though. Samana is a port best enjoyed through an excursion. We got a chance to take our ATV's on a four hour tour to a beautiful beach. The country is very poor, but the people are wonderful. The people of Samana have a special place in our hearts now. The children were wonderful. Meeting them and talking with them was a wonderful experience.

Well, I lived in DR and Spent a couple weeks in Samana, I recommend seeing it, but if you dont want to, dont. Cayo Leventado is not worth 59pp to go to, thats for sure.

We do not want to spend 59pp to take the ship's excursion to Cayo Leventado. (That price is for 5 hrs and does not include food). Is there any way to get to Cayo Leventado on your own? Is there another beach that you would recommend that we could get to by taxi?

Thanks!

Which line is charging 59pp for the Cayo Levantado excursion? The prices on NCL and Royal are around 43pp and 45 pp ....... Cayo Levantado cannot be missed, we highly recommend the Sea Lion Encounter there.

RCCL is charging $59/pp for the Cayo Levantado Beach Escape Plus (includes non motorized water toys) for our upcoming cruise on Explorer.

Which line is charging 59pp for the Cayo Levantado excursion? The prices on NCL and Royal are around 43pp and 45 pp ....... Cayo Levantado cannot be missed, we highly recommend the Sea Lion Encounter there.

Yes, it can be missed, for 59 dollars it is not worth it. Strange that your Handle is the same name as the hotel company that owns the island, 'Bahia'

We do not want to spend 59pp to take the ship's excursion to Cayo Leventado. (That price is for 5 hrs and does not include food). Is there any way to get to Cayo Leventado on your own? Is there another beach that you would recommend that we could get to by taxi?

Thanks!

Well, there is a nice beach about 40 minutes from the pier, Playa Rincon. If you can gather a few other people to taxipool and go to rincon, I think you could have a great time for around 40-50 dollars a person, see the beautiful countryside and a gorgeous beach. I have some Rincon Pictures in my photostream, the link below. If you want more info about Rincon excursions, you can contact casa dorado. they will give you solid info on their costs and activities. http://www.casadoradodr.com

By the way which cruise line is charging $59 for the Cayo Levantado excursion. I could not find any.

Royal Caribbean is charging $59 for their Cayo Levantado Plus excursion which includes use of unmotorized water equipment. Until yesterday it was one of only two excursions listed on their website.

When I checked last evening they now have over 10 excursions listed and one of those is the "regular" Cayo Levantado excursion for $42.

Thanks to everyone for your various comments about the Samana port. These help as we have been to Punta Cana and La Romana, but never the Samana area.

For $42 you get a boat ride to the beach and one run punch. Everything else is up to you unless you pay $59 and get the plus package. That will give you use of the water sports and a rum punch. Still no food which I believe runs you $15 - $20 for a meal.

I gave up and booked the Casa Dorado excursion.

We are going to be in Samana on 11/24 (NCL Dawn, 11/22/08). Here's what I found on Samana reviews re: Cayo Levantado: "It’s easiest to obtain a ride to Cayo Levantado by going directly to the Port of Samaná, where boats will take you there for US$5–10 per person. Alternatively, about 10 minutes from town up the Carretera Las Galeras, on the right-hand side, is a parking lot with a big sign that says Al Cayo; here you can make a deal to go to either Cayo Levantado or to Los Haitises. Along the same route, farther up the hill and on the right, is another boat-launching point called Simi Baez. A fair price for these boats to ask is US$25–30 per boatload (eight people). Make sure you agree on the price before boarding".

We are into snorkeling so we are going to hire a van in Samana to go to La Playita beach ($80-90 r/t for up to 8-10 people), which is near Las Galeras.

Archived