More Samana Questions

jajsmom

I've been trying to find locals to take us individually to do some of the excursions offered by the ship and recieved this email today. It gives some options to get away from cruise ship crowds. Unfortunately, the mechanics of getting taxis to these different activities may be more difficult, but they're some ideas that may be worth checking out.

Nice that you will visit Samana and yes I think that I can help you.

-To go fishing : look for the link on our website on the "ACTIVITIES" page for "CASADORADO" Catrine the owner will give you all the info you need.

-National Park Los Haitises with the kayaking you can write kim.beddall@usa.net she makes great trips to Los Haitises with kayaking included costs 55USD/person food included but... this trip begins in the morning and will be for the full day so make sure that you will have enough time.

- For the horseback riding to the waterfall of El Limon you will have to take a taxi to El Limon and ask to drop you of at PARADA "LA MANZANA" the owner "VICTORIA" is a friendly person who likes animals and takes well care of her horses.

- If you would like to come on one of our horse back excursions I can recommend the half day trip to a nice quiet beach "playa madama" more information about this trip look on our web site and open "horse riding excursions" If you might decide to do a trip with us please make a reservation. I hope to have answerd your questions but if you might have more questions feel free to ask.

Regards, Karin & Ronald

La Ranchera-La Hacienda

Cell. 8298780637

Las Galeras-Samana

Dominican Republic

www.larancheta.com

Hello,

We have been to Samana twice on Oceania. The first time (2yrs ago) was a huge disappointment, so much so that we wrote Oceania asking why an upscale cruise line would stop at such a port and not provide at least a paid excursion to Cayo Levanatado. We could see this beautiful white sand beach across the way and could not find one person to SAFELY take us there. There were tiny fishing boats at the dock but they were not equipped with life vests or large enough to safely cross the way. (And we were advised by the port authorities not to try it). They were asking 10.00 a person and we were tempted, but were worried about making it back to the ship.

Last year Oceania like all the other lines now offer an excursion to Cayo Levantado, and ours included a meal. We felt it was well worth the cost to go there, the beach is beautiful with white sand and lots of palms. The water at the port of Samana is green and had lots of trash in it. The area around the dock in Samana had lots of locals trying to sell you something, scooters zipping around, and children begging.

Samana has lush hillsides and beautiful palms everywhere- but the town itself was filthy and even though we are very adventurous people, (doing things on our own that most passengers would not), we were worried about some of the elderly passengers wondering around. When we were there, they were building some new waterfront shops that were not open yet, these would really add to the port because there is nothing worth a walk through the dirty pot hole, littered streets in town beyond those shops.

Having traveled to (and enjoying) many of the places where people on this board said "Stay on the ship!", this was one port where I would have to agree that if you do not have a planned excursion through the ship, I would stay on the ship. I would not trust the locals in this port to get to Cayo Levantado, which is unfortunate for such an otherwise beautiful island. They are rather new to tourism and just don't have their act together. This is just our honest opinion.

We are going to La Romana, Dominican Republic in January and have also booked the cruise line excursion to Catalina Island, (and we never book the cruise line excursions) for the same reasons, just trying to find one reputable company to take us there has not been easy.

So if you like a nice white sand beach with palms, turquoise water and lounge chairs, pay the price for the excursion where you know what you are getting. (Beware of the sea lion people who parade it around and try to charge you if you take a photo of it) lol.

Hello,

We have been to Samana twice on Oceania. The first time (2yrs ago) was a huge disappointment, so much so that we wrote Oceania asking why an upscale cruise line would stop at such a port and not provide at least a paid excursion to Cayo Levanatado. We could see this beautiful white sand beach across the way and could not find one person to SAFELY take us there. There were tiny fishing boats at the dock but they were not equipped with life vests or large enough to safely cross the way. (And we were advised by the port authorities not to try it). They were asking 10.00 a person and we were tempted, but were worried about making it back to the ship.

Last year Oceania like all the other lines now offer an excursion to Cayo Levantado, and ours included a meal. We felt it was well worth the cost to go there, the beach is beautiful with white sand and lots of palms. The water at the port of Samana is green and had lots of trash in it. The area around the dock in Samana had lots of locals trying to sell you something, scooters zipping around, and children begging.

Samana has lush hillsides and beautiful palms everywhere- but the town itself was filthy and even though we are very adventurous people, (doing things on our own that most passengers would not), we were worried about some of the elderly passengers wondering around. When we were there, they were building some new waterfront shops that were not open yet, these would really add to the port because there is nothing worth a walk through the dirty pot hole, littered streets in town beyond those shops.

Having traveled to (and enjoying) many of the places where people on this board said "Stay on the ship!", this was one port where I would have to agree that if you do not have a planned excursion through the ship, I would stay on the ship. I would not trust the locals in this port to get to Cayo Levantado, which is unfortunate for such an otherwise beautiful island. They are rather new to tourism and just don't have their act together. This is just our honest opinion.

We are going to La Romana, Dominican Republic in January and have also booked the cruise line excursion to Catalina Island, (and we never book the cruise line excursions) for the same reasons, just trying to find one reputable company to take us there has not been easy.

So if you like a nice white sand beach with palms, turquoise water and lounge chairs, pay the price for the excursion where you know what you are getting. (Beware of the sea lion people who parade it around and try to charge you if you take a photo of it) lol.

I trusted the locals, was completely fine. Your xenophobia is very disturbing.

lbt43- You are welcome to your opinion just as I am to mine. I'm not here to get in an argument with you or anyone else- just giving MY opinion (which may be disturbing to you). I specifically said "I would not trust the locals in this port to GET TO Cayo Levantado" Do not take what I said out of context.

Thanks for your recommendations. I realize that this is your personal opinion- and that's exactly what I expect (& want) on CruiseCritic. You were clear & specific in your comments (as opposed to so many posters who just complain without any explanation). We are leaning towards NCL's excursion to Cayo Levantando, even though we usually go off on our own to save a little money and to have a little more freedom in our timing. The beach there does sound lovely. Thanks again.

Hubby and I are sailing on the Pearl January 2010 and we are sort of hoping for a change of itinerary, or this stop is going to be a *ship day* for us. I certainly wouldn't call myself *Xenophobic* as I have lived many places to include foreign countries and for the most part love other cultures. Our first cruise itinerary included the Dominican Republic and we weren't taken by it then and it doesn't sound like it has changed much to me. Even back in 1994, the shore excursions were very expensive....very hard to understand! :confused: Won't even go into what we thought of the areas. We booked this particular ship because we wanted a seven day cruise not to mention we wanted to go some places we hadn't been. I did think it was funny when our PCC asked me what my problem was with the Dominican Republic....she did say though that she had never been there. I told her my reasons and she told me that it might be a great spa day!:D I tend to agree!

Thanks for the ALL the honest opinions....it's one of the reasons I love coming to CC. I have never trusted reading anything I read in a Fodor's book!

lbt43, since you lived in Samana for a while, in your opinion, which beach would you say is the nicest to go spend the day at? We are on the Dawn in January and I would love to go to a nice beach that has restroom facilites, and a place to eat and drink. Plus if you can give me an idea of how far we would have to travel to get to the beach, and in your opinion grab a cab etc.., hey if ya know what it kinda should cost me - would love that too.. I just feel that since we are going to Samana - I would actually like to stay on Samana. Cayo Levantado is a port on some ships, so I figure eventually I will get there. LOL Any help you could give would be so very appreciated.. Thanks.. Maureen:)

Archived