2 Adults, 2 Kids, 1 Cabin or 2?

gill_boo

So looking at the possibilities for our fall cruise next year. Ideally we would like to take his 2 children with us. They will be 13 and 10 at the time and I think they would have a blast with us on a cruise.

So my question is, are there cabins that are good for 4 people, or would it just be best if we did 2 separate cabins?

One cabin..........save money on the 3rd and 4th in a cabin.

We've done two cruises now with our twin daughters. the first cruise they were 12, and 3 weeks ago on our second cruise they were 15. We did one cabin...........plenty of room, girls would get showered and dressed for dinner, come find us at our meeting place up on deck 10, then we would go get ready..............worked out great.

dondon55

foxboro ma

Having four people in a cabin can be very tight and crowded when you are trying to get dressed. I know from experience! Our pocket book is our guide so we have to have 4 to a room other wise we can't afford to cruise. If your pocketbook says you can afford 2 rooms and still have money to spare then go for two rooms. If your pocketbook says no- you will still have a great time. You'll just be a little closer that's all!

Beth

Dh and I did 4 in a cabin and it was fine. Little cramped but def do-able. Just think the extra money you would spend on another cabin you can use that for really great excursions.. Me and my family are making wonderful memories. 4 in a cabin for a few nights is ok.

My cruise next weekend will consist of my mom, sister, my niece(8) and myself. I was worried about this also. We chose a room with a balcony to add a little bit more space. I have seen pics of the quad rooms and I think we will be fine. Since we are all girls I was worried about the showering situation until I found a great tip here on CC...the spa showers are free and supposedly AWESOME! So maybe that will save us some time. Unfortunately the spa is on the complete opposite end of the ship from our room!

I think for ages 13 and 10, one cabin will be just fine..... but as long as it is an Ocean View or Balcony. Inside Cabins are just too tight for four people.

Our boys were 13 and 10 this year.... and we added a three year old to the mix, and it was tight, but certainly do-able!!

Catrin

Eballgrl, You are right about the spa showers. My kids got wind of them on our 1st cruise and they refused to shower in the cabin. :D CATRIN what part of Rhode Island are you from? I was born and raised in Ri. Prov/Pawt area.

Eballgrl, You are right about the spa showers. My kids got wind of them on our 1st cruise and they refused to shower in the cabin. :D CATRIN what part of Rhode Island are you from? I was born and raised in Ri. Prov/Pawt area.

Hi Madaamt,

I live in South County, but grew up in EProv....

there are quite a few Rhode Islanders on Cruise Critic!

Catrin

I agree with others that if your budget can stand it, I'd go with 2 rooms. If either or both of your children are girls you can split the rooms and the girls take one for formal night get up and the guys, who will be MUCH quicker, take the other. In addition, unless you enlist a "sock on the door" hint system, the "private" time that you and DH would share would be nil. All things to take into consideration, IMHO. Ultimately, follow what YOUR gut tells you and I suspect you'll do fine :)

Check out the cost of the 3rd and 4th person in the cabin vs. an inside across the hall.

It'll cost us slightly more to have the balcony cabin and an inside across the hall - but worth it to us.

We have always (except once- Dec. on Freedom) had a quad cabin. Even with dd17 and dd20 being "grown-ups" we have worked out systems where we are all comfortable in where our clothing goes, who showers when, etc. It isn't worth it to dh to put up an extra thousand (or more) to get adjoining balcony cabins. (sorry - balcony snobs here!) We would love to put dd17/dd20 across the hall, but dd20 is special needs, and we need to be within ear/eyeshot of her at all times due to medical needs. If you can swing it, 2 cabins is great - 2 showers, 2 tv's, etc. We got a great deal on our Dream 2009 cruise - and will have 2 adjoining balcony cabins again. Can't wait!

I agree with others that if your budget can stand it, I'd go with 2 rooms. If either or both of your children are girls you can split the rooms and the girls take one for formal night get up and the guys, who will be MUCH quicker, take the other. In addition, unless you enlist a "sock on the door" hint system, the "private" time that you and DH would share would be nil. All things to take into consideration, IMHO. Ultimately, follow what YOUR gut tells you and I suspect you'll do fine :)

:D :D :o

I can just imagine someday 'splain that to my teens....LOL....

I think either we would be really creative timing wise(like during a major important teen deck party) or it would have to be 2 cabins for us...(still wiping up the pop spit out on my monitor from laughing...the thought of my dh face explaining that!)

Have a great day everyone!

We are doing five in a cabin (three teens). Color me crazy, but I will love every single second of it. We've done many all inclusive land vacations where the resort won't allow five in one room, so we've split up. Honestly, that is not a family vacation with teens because we literally never see them. They sleep until noon, hit the beach for awhile, back to veg in the room, out for the evening, etc. Don't get me wrong, it is GREAT for the dh and myself...but I don't take expensive family vacations for alone time with my dh. If I wanted that I would leave the kids at home.

Anyway, we are looking at the cruise like glorified tent camping...which we have all enjoyed while they've been growing up. There is something really special about lying in our own beds in the dark and telling stories about our lives, sharing jokes, laughing, etc. With our busy lives, nothing beats the bonding that happens in a crowded cabin. I wouldn't have it any other way.

PS. This is our last formal family vacation as my oldest is heading to college next fall and will no longer have the same vacation schedule. So this trip is even more bittersweet.

Hi we took a family oceanview cabin on the spa deck and it was fine. The upper bed was left open the whole cruise as we didn't need the space. Depending on what cruise ship you choose, these cabins have now been converted to balcony so it should do just fine. I would not put the kids in a different cabin.

depending on which ship you are sailing, there are a few inside cabins connected to a ext balc cabin (the Pride for instance). We have this and have small kids (3 & 6) as my DH was insistent we have our own space for after the kids go to bed so we can play cards and ;)

For us, the cost of a quad versus these adjoining rooms was only $300 more - two bathrooms, extra stge, no bunks for the little ones...certainly worth the $300 IMO.

We have done 2 cabins the past two years, balcony its nice, but it does come down to the checkbook. Nice if you can do it,but if I could not I would not give up a cruise just because it might be tight. I would think about getting a balcony, and put the kids across the hall. Cheaper, and they still can use your balcony.

We just sailed on Inspiration with our kids 12 and 17. We chose to do two adjoining rooms. It was wonderful. We could open the doors to have much more room but when we wanted private time we just shut the door. I would say if you can afford it get two rooms.

When the kids were smaller we always had them room with us. Last year we got a balcony cabin and put our kids in an inside across the hall. We still kept tight watch on them, i.e. they would sleep in every morning but would call us on the walkie talkie when they were up and about so we could meet up at the room or the buffet. There is just no way we could handle four people and one small shower/bathroom without really getting on each other's nerves. I homeschool our kids, so it also give me at least somewhat of a break from the 24/7 of my kids and it gives the hubby and I some much needed privacy. We are doing the same thing next month and I just can't imagine trying to cram the four of us into one room again. When we're all at our cabins, we'll just prop the doors open and we can talk across the hall if we need to while we are finishing getting ready for ports or meals. It has really worked out great for us.

Kathy

Archived