It got ugly in San Diego at 3:30pm today

DAllenTCY

I don't believe HAL has any discretion as the cutoff time for filing it - it has to be 90 minutes before departure. I guess HAL could decide to delay departure.
That would be my guess also. If a group of passengers with HAL air was delayed I should hope that they would do what they could to get them on board. If it means delaying the departure for DHS then so be it.

Charlie

The fact of the matter is that the ship could opt to delay departure. Until this point in time, they have not...not one that I am aware of, so there is no reasonable expectation that they will in the future. If you have purchased insurance, expect a hotel, connecting air to the first port of call, and a hotel room at that point until the ship arrives. Do not expect a full refund unless your insurance policy allows for the fact that you mad a huge mistake in booking your flight and you made an even larger mistade in filling out the necessary immigration data.

I'm guessing that you are going to lose...even with the purchase of insurance.

David

In a way, I'm glad they were denied boarding because they didn't follow the rules. It's on their documents about when to arrive at the port, so they were notified, they may have just chosen not to read them.

I tell people all the time to get to the port more than 90 mins. ahead of time and so often, I hear people say, "Oh, we'll be fine." :rolleyes:

I hope you're never in a situation, where you make a mistake and need a little compassion.

I don't believe HAL has any discretion as the cutoff time for filing it - it has to be 90 minutes before departure. I guess HAL could decide to delay departure.

As I pointed out in an earlier post, the CBP (APIS) requirement is 60 minutes before departure. Many cruiselines have added the other 30 minutes on their own. Here is a link to the Federal Register containing the rule: http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/travel/inspections_carriers_facilities/apis/apis_pre_departure.ctt/apis_pre_departure.pdf

I have a suggestion; Be there 3 hours ahead of time, check in and get on board. Have lunch in the Lido. If you must go to Anthony's for lunch make sure everything is in order before going there.Would you like to try your luck or be sure and enjoy a 7 - 10 day cruise. I know what I have decided.

I live in California 2 1/2 hours away from San Diego. We will arrive in San Diego the night before, stay in a nice resort /Inn http://www.halfmooninn.com on Shelter Island, get a shuttle just after breakfast to the ship and check in. I think they start check-in about 11:00. Don't chance it unless you want to spoil your day and perhaps the trip of a lifetime. Thats my plan. If we have car problems for some reason or there is a delay then hopefully we have enough time to resolve what ever comes up. If the delay is for something more serious I won't want to go anyway. 39 days and counting.

Just curious - what's the big deal about not filling-in the nationality info at the time you initially do the form? I mean, what's the big deal? You have to give it to HAL at some point.

I did not deliberately skip the nationality question when I originally filled out the form on line. I either did not see it or it was not there at the time. If it had told me my information was incomplete I would have realized then that something was wrong. Instead, it just said saved. Tom.

I agree that the people who showed up at too late thinking they could board should not blame HAL. The documents are very clear about when you need to check in....

Please know that these people did show up for the Oosterdam in San Diego well before the ship sailed. The problem was that their pre-cruise online information had not been completed. Some blamed it on their travel agents, others said they didn't know, another said she thought she had done it correctly (she hadn't).

Passengers who arrived after 3:30 to check in, and who had completed all their online documents days before the cruise, checked in with no problem and boarded the ship.

This regulation has been looming for at least a year. Travel agents and cruiselines had asked for a delay in implementing it, and the gov't said ok. Now time is up, and ships are enforcing it.

Hopefully HAL will begin to require the citizenship info at the time of booking, instead of allowing people to call back with it later (and then they forget).

Please know that these people did show up for the Oosterdam in San Diego well before the ship sailed. The problem was that their pre-cruise online information had not been completed. Some blamed it on their travel agents, others said they didn't know, another said she thought she had done it correctly (she hadn't).

Passengers who arrived after 3:30 to check in, and who had completed all their online documents days before the cruise, checked in with no problem and boarded the ship.

This regulation has been looming for at least a year. Travel agents and cruiselines had asked for a delay in implementing it, and the gov't said ok. Now time is up, and ships are enforcing it.

Hopefully HAL will begin to require the citizenship info at the time of booking, instead of allowing people to call back with it later (and then they forget).

Ok, so these people thought they were checked in? Is that the issue here vs people just taking their time eating or whatever and missing the cutoff.

And it was my experience, too (Post 50) -- it really does make me think that these folks never tried to print out their boarding passes or they'd have been unable to and fixed the error(s).

Actually one printed online boarding pass was presented...but the passenger had no passport, only a birth certificate, so with no passport info entered in the computer (meaning no proof of citizenship), he was denied boarding......

Ok, so these people thought they were checked in? Is that the issue here vs people just taking their time eating or whatever and missing the cutoff.

For the most part, yes.

However one couple had nothing completed in advance, and they were long time HAL cruisers.

What I want to know is: Who's "getting a bite to eat," immediately before boarding a cruise ship?!?

Although it was another beautiful day here, mild temperatures and sunny skiies, the few who arrived "late" for today's Oosterdam sailing were in for a BIG surprise.

About a dozen guests, some children, were denied boarding due to the "90 minute" rule.....EVEN THOUGH THEY HAD COMPLETED THEIR DOCUMENTS ONLINE, because apparently some did not put any reply in the "Nationality" space.

This showed up on the ship's report to be submitted to CBP that their nationality is "unknown".

Whether it be a typo in entering you passport number, birthdate, etc. you can only protect yourself by having checked in at the pier at least 90 minutes before sailing. Have your room key in you hand at least one and a half hours before sailing!

I heard that one family today arrived in two cars, some in time to get their missing information into the computer at the check in station and the others not so lucky. The result was a heartbreaking experience for the HAL staff and the affected guests. You guessed it....one child and the father denied boarding, and the mother and other kids onboard. Not good.

Two other guests now have opted to pay to fly to Cabo San Lucas and pay the $400 per person fine, in order to meet relatives onboard for a reunion or birthday or whatever (I forget).

Another passenger dropped off his cabinmate and then went himself to park the car. Guess what....he'll be alone tonight and so will she.

Two other people were having a bite to eat at Anthony's at 3:45pm just 100 yards from the ship, (as I saw the Oosterdam luggage tags on their bags). I was hoping that they had already checked, but just a few minutes late they entered the terminal only to find out that they, too, had not completed one critical portion of their pre-registration. They joined the others....in frustration, and misplaced anger aimed at the HAL check in staff.

At this point, it was apparent to me that I need to reiterrate on this board....the minute that I get home....of the necessity to get to the pier on time. If you haven't allowed enough time to park the car, grab a bite to eat or whatever....you may have serious consequences awaiting you.

No one affected will get a refund, and those returning home be the airlines will be charged a rebooking fee plus whatever the current rate is for a new booking.

It was very, very sad, and the worst part is that it was completely avoidable.

The silly thing was that it was said that it was "HAL's fault for not notifying" these guests of the consequences of a minor typographical input error or omission.

It really doesn't matter who's to blame....it's an unpleasant ending to an otherwise nearly perfect day.....and as I said....completely avoidable.

David

Actually one printed online boarding pass was presented...but the passenger had no passport, only a birth certificate, so with no passport info entered in the computer (meaning no proof of citizenship), he was denied boarding......

I just can't believe in this day and age people do not get passports but walk around with their birth certificate...

I just can't believe in this day and age people do not get passports but walk around with their birth certificate...
There are still people who have never traveled outside of the US. An extra hundo per person for a first cruise may seem like a lot to them especially if they don't know if they'll ever use them again.

For us (you and me and others that travel far and wide) maybe it doesn't make sense. OTOH I know people who have not traveled outside of the state in years. If they did go on a cruise I'd bet that it would be a one time event.

Just my 2¢

Charlie

What I want to know is: Who's "getting a bite to eat," immediately before boarding a cruise ship?!?

Living so close to Port Canaveral we cruise out of there 2 or 3 times a year. We get tired of the crowded buffet so sometimes we drive to the port and have lunch at Rusty's. I gotta tell you, it builds up the excitement eating lunch and looking across at the very ship you'll be boarding when you're done.

Lynda

That's right. It is my understanding the ship can delay departure long enough time to resubmit a completed Manifest with those late arrivals included. In the old days, a Captain could hold a ship 10 minutes and then get underway, now it is at least an hour. Whether or not they will delay is another story altogether. They may need the full time to get to their first port or the costs of staying longer may be too high etc

[/b]I would bet that the data entered online is transmitted electronically without any manual input by HAL employees.

I would have thought so, too, but Philip 217 (who many of us know to have worked many years on a number of major cruise lines) wrote just that. Again, it was So Sad, So Sorry.

But....... sometimes, ship happens. I'm guessing your (& everyone else's docs) showed that boarding would begin at 11am because the ship was expected in port 7-8am. Sometimes weather or other unforseen circumstances causes a ship to be late returning to port. Just how do you expect HAL to notify 1,200 - 2,000 pax the MORNING of turnaround day that the ship will be delayed just a couple of hours? Many are already in transit - air or car - and can't change those arrangements. If you're in a hotel nearby, you have to check out anyway.

It was not a sudden 3 hour delay -- an officer explained that the itinerary was changed months before and was shocked that we were not notified and that over 1000 of us arrived at the time in our documents and had to wait in lines for 3 hours..... most miserable embarkation we ever had. I had a nice cruise, but my point is that sometimes HAL drops the ball.

Pat

HAL's documents had the original/incorrect check-in time. We only heard of one couple who were told to come starting at 2 PM and I believe that they booked late.

The hotel/manager officer Paul was genuinely shocked and in disbelief when told of the embarkation problems at the focus group meeting. He just couldn't believe that most passengers received the wrong time because it had been changed so long before.

Pat

Archived