Fuel Surcharges

When will Royal Caribbean discontinue the fuel surcharge? Oil costs are now below $70 a barrel, cheaper than when they instituted the surcharge in the first place.

It is not at $70, it is at $77.70 - and this drop in oil occurred very fast and may or may not be a temporary pullback. The cruise lines were very slow to start the fuel surcharges, so don't expect them to rapidly remove them. I would expect Royal to do something similar to Carnival Crop, i.e. if oil does drop below $70 and stays there for a month that they would drop the charges.

ya sure...it'll be a cold day in puerto rico before anyone drops the current fuel charge...aqs someone stated above...it took all of them a fairly long time to add it it'll take longer to remove it...

When will Royal Caribbean discontinue the fuel surcharge? Oil costs are now below $70 a barrel, cheaper than when they instituted the surcharge in the first place.

There was an article in the local newspaper yesterday that Carnival was going to "eliminate their fuel supplements on six lines, responding to lower fuel prices." But... are you ready... in the same article they announced that "Carnival plans to raise prices for bookings on 2010 cruises":D

Why do people complain about the topic of a thread but can't seem to keep themselves from opening and reading it?

Because it's getting old just looking at the same ole threads..Seems like all there is on these boards lately is complaining. RCL is in the business to make money not give anyone a charity cruise. Everybody cares about there own bills...who's going to pay their bills???Amazing.

Because it's getting old just looking at the same ole threads..Seems like all there is on these boards lately is complaining. RCL is in the business to make money not give anyone a charity cruise. Everybody cares about there own bills...who's going to pay their bills???Amazing.

Actually, there are a lot of good threads running right now that have nothing to do with people complaining. However, I do think it is in everyone's interest to worry about paying their own bills and it is RCI's job to worry about paying theirs. If folks had been more concerned with paying their own bills we probably would not be in the economic mess that we are in right now.

Looking at your screen name, 737NG, I am fairly certain that you probably work for an airline so I appreciate you having a better perspective for the company's concerns. Just realize that the typical consumer is not going to have such (balanced) perspectives. RCI, like most companies, has plenty of people on the payroll looking our for RCI's concerns. The individual consumer pretty much has him/her self to look after his/her financial well being.

I run a business so I completely understand where you are coming from. I am not trying to knock your point of view.

Thanks for the replies and clarifications. I respectfully agree with every poster, RCCL should cover their costs and is in the business to make a profit. I would personally prefer RCCL increase their price to include appropriate fuel overhead rather than call it a fuel surcharge (semantics); but I guess they had no choice since some customers purchase beyond a year in advance. Or, for arguments sake, should "early birds catch the worm" and benefit from their advance planning and savings.

737NG

Seems like you've posted twice in a thread you'd rather not see to complain about people complaining. Sounds like you like to compain yourself.

737NG

Seems like you've posted twice in a thread you'd rather not see to complain about people complaining. Sounds like you like to compain yourself.

Oh, you mean complain right? Well, it seems people are beating a dead horse with this issue. If you have a problem with the charge then by all means go find yourself another form of vacationing. Cruise lines can raise fares by 50% and it still will be the most economical form of vacationing for most. People demand everything but want to pay nothing. Everybody loves it when RCL or others announce new ships, new ports, amenities or perks. How do you expect them to finance those new ships and pay their expenses? Cruising is not a right. Either pay what they are charging and stop your crying or stay home and wait for capitalism to die in this country(Nov 4) then cruise away until they are all out of business. Hey, maybe they will even pay you to cruise! Would you like that? People would probably even complain about that because it still wouldn't be enough. Consumer greed.:cool:

Archived