Packing wine...

laurenlou

We are leaving in the morning for our 1st cruise!

We are packing right now and after reading about another cruiser's bottle of rum breaking, I am scared to pack my wine. Anyone have any suggestions for packing 2 750ml bottles of wine?

Also, is it OK to pack an iron? I see on Carnival's website that they only have 1 iron per deck.

You don't have to pack your wine. Just carry it on in a carry on bag. You're allowed to take wine - just not liquor. I would never pack my wine in a suitcase. Too much risk of breakage and if it's red wine, you can kiss those clothes goodbye. I have a little double wine carrier that's made of neoprene with a handle. I carry one and my dh carries the other. They pack flat when empty and don't take up any room in the luggage coming home.

And yes, please leave that iron at home for the safety of everyone on the ship. :)

Solve the problem by bringing a box of wine onboard. Unless you are wanting expensive wine. I brought the Franzia which is my favorite anyways cuz I like fruity wine that is not bitter so I pack the box in my luggage and carry on. No problem and I was never charged corkage that way either. Another option is the just carry it on by itself. You are allowed 1 bottle per person so just carry it on. I wouldn't pack it.

My carrier looks like this. They're inexpensive - you can often find them at TJ Maxx or on Ebay and they last forever. Very easy to carry your wine on. Sometimes we put the wine in them and then put them in the carry on wheeled bag.

byo-bag-neoprene-wine-carrier_DF6A2DB2.jpg

Wow, I am finding more reasons to go with carnival! NCL charges $15 corkage fee when you bring a regular size bottle of wine onto the ship even if you will just drink it in your cabin. So are you telling me I can bring wine on Carnival and only pay a corkage fee if I bring it to the dining room? If DH wants to bring a whole box of wine...still no charge if he drinks it in the room.

Wow, I am finding more reasons to go with carnival! NCL charges $15 corkage fee when you bring a regular size bottle of wine onto the ship even if you will just drink it in your cabin. So are you telling me I can bring wine on Carnival and only pay a corkage fee if I bring it to the dining room? If DH wants to bring a whole box of wine...still no charge if he drinks it in the room.

That is correct.

Okay wait a sec...NCL charges you a corkage just for bringing it onto the ship? When and how do they charge for this? At security?:confused:

That's right! Only a corkage fee in the dining room. It's hit or miss on whether you get charged.

A tip/hint - What we do now, is buy brands of wine that Carnival sells. We happen to like a couple of them a lot so we never get charged because they don't know if it was a gift/purchase or not.

I HAVE been charged the corkage fee but not often.

We are leaving in the morning for our 1st cruise!

Also, is it OK to pack an iron? I see on Carnival's website that they only have 1 iron per deck.

Holiday has two irons on each deck. Since it is the smallest ship in Carnival's fleet, the others should have at least that or more.

I have found nowadays you don't have to travel with glass bottles of wine unelss you are very particular. In the liquor store here I am now able to find many types of wines from various countries packed in either PET (plastic) recylcable bottles or tetra pak containers (both single serving and litre sizes). These are perfect for travelling and no fear of breakage at all!

And you can always pour yourself a glass of wine in your cabin and bring it to dinner with you (ask room service or steward for wine glasses) - know one will ever know where the glass of wine came from! :)

Yes, NCL will charge the $15 corkage fee before you get on the ship. I guess it is security. When they check your stuff before getting on board if you have wine you go to another table and pay. It also depends on the size. Normal size is $15 but if you get those larger size they will charge more. Boxed wine? I don't know how much if you can even bring them on??

Yes, NCL will charge the $15 corkage fee before you get on the ship. I guess it is security. When they check your stuff before getting on board if you have wine you go to another table and pay. It also depends on the size. Normal size is $15 but if you get those larger size they will charge more. Boxed wine? I don't know how much if you can even bring them on??

I had no idea....thanks for that info!!

You can actually carry the wine on with you. If you plan to drink it in your cabin there is no charge. However, there is a corkage fee if you plan on taking the wine to dinner as explained below. I copied the policy right from the Carnival website...

Liquor and Beverage Policy

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages onboard. However, guests 21 years of age and older only may bring one bottle (750ml) of wine or champagne, per person, on board only during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the main dining room; $14 corkage fee per bottle in the Supper Club. Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages. All prohibited alcohol, additional quantities of wine/champagne or excessive quantities of non-alcoholic beverages will be confiscated and discarded without compensation.

I have found nowadays you don't have to travel with glass bottles of wine unelss you are very particular. In the liquor store here I am now able to find many types of wines from various countries packed in either PET (plastic) recylcable bottles or tetra pak containers (both single serving and litre sizes). These are perfect for travelling and no fear of breakage at all!

And you can always pour yourself a glass of wine in your cabin and bring it to dinner with you (ask room service or steward for wine glasses) - know one will ever know where the glass of wine came from! :)

We did this on our cruise every night when we went to dinner or around the ship... I didn't think to ask our steward for a wine glass... however we just picked one up at the bar. We brought a nice BOX of wine... yes they are making good boxed wines now, it's not just Franzia anymore, and got more than we would have out of a bottle AND weren't worried about breakage. You could bring a red and white if you wanted to, my sister did and it worked out great.

That is an absolute rip-off. Especially charging more for a larger bottle. I've been charged sometimes for corkage and sometimes not. The waiter once said the Maitre d' spotted our wine and made him add the corkage. That's OK, it came out of the Maitre d's tip.

additional quantities of wine/champagne or excessive quantities of non-alcoholic beverages will be confiscated and discarded without compensation.

How much wine is in a box? I was under the impression that a box held much more than 750ml. I don't want to fund the crew party.

carnival only allows one bottle per person. :mad:

That's right! Only a corkage fee in the dining room. It's hit or miss on whether you get charged.

A tip/hint - What we do now, is buy brands of wine that Carnival sells. We happen to like a couple of them a lot so we never get charged because they don't know if it was a gift/purchase or not.

I HAVE been charged the corkage fee but not often.

I heard that carnival only allows one bottle of wine per person. Is that true. How do you bring more.?

Archived