eurpoean cruise- western mediterranean best ports

katrinacomebacks

I'm interested in a best of europe cruise. I was told by my travel agent that this is the best value for seeing Europe. I have never been to Europe. My husband and I are in our late 50's early 60's. My husband is nervous about the eastern Mediterranean so our focus is the western ports. Which cruise line offers the beat ports? What are the best ports. I especially want to see Rome and was thinking if we started or ended there we could stay a couple of days. I'd appreciate any help. We'd like to go next spring but can't be gone May 16th. Thanks

... My husband is nervous about the eastern Mediterranean so our focus is the western ports. Which cruise line offers the beat ports? What are the best ports. I especially want to see Rome and was thinking if we started or ended there we could stay a couple of days. I'd appreciate any help. We'd like to go next spring but can't be gone May 16th. Thanks

Too bad you aren't interested in the eastern med. I really wouldn't be too worried about this but to each his own.

I think the trips that start in Barcelona and go to Venice might fit the bill either as a one way or as a round trip. If you went to from either Barcelona or Venice you could spend a bit of time in Rome before or after your cruise by taking the train.

The May 22nd departure on the Celebrity Summit from Venice looks pretty interesting if you are willing to go in the late spring.

My DH and I took the Carnival Liberty 12 day Med cruise (for our first trip to Europe) in late May, 2006. We really enjoyed this cruise. We spent 3 days each pre cruise in both Florence and Rome. Our cruise ports were: Naples (Amalfi Coast), Venice, Dubrovnik, Messina, Barcelona, Cannes and Livorno. We started and ended in Civitivecchia. We had such a wonderful time that we returned to Europe this year on a transatlantic cruise combined with a land trip. Loved it!

Elsie:cool:

We've done two Med cruises, and specifically selected cruises that didn't include Rome or Florence because we didn't want to spend the time getting from the ports to the cities.

Our favorite cruise line is Oceania for the small ships, wonderful service, no formal nights, all open seating dining, local Tourist Office reps who get on at each port.

The Western Med ports we liked best are Venice, Dubrovnik, Lisbon, Malta, and Barcelona.

We took a 12 night cruise from Rome last summer on the Legend of the Seas (enjoyed total of 6 nights in Rome). The cruise vastly exceeded our expectations; ports of call included: Athens, Egypt, Rhodes, Naples, Mykonos, Kusadasi (Turkey) and Limassol, Cyprus). Review of cruise and photos in the links below.

Based on our experience last year we have booked on RCI's Brilliance of the Seas for next summer for another 12 night cruise although this time from Barcelona going to Venice (overnight), Livorno (Florence), Cannes,Corfu, Naples,Croatia and Rome.

There is so much to see in Rome, you would be hard-pressed to touch the surface in a day tour so if you want to see more of the city then it would be best to start or end your cruise in Rome. The port is an hour and a half away from the city.

Kathy:)

We've done two Med cruises, and specifically selected cruises that didn't include Rome or Florence because we didn't want to spend the time getting from the ports to the cities.

Our favorite cruise line is Oceania for the small ships, wonderful service, no formal nights, all open seating dining, local Tourist Office reps who get on at each port.

The Western Med ports we liked best are Venice, Dubrovnik, Lisbon, Malta, and Barcelona.

Malta is normally on an Eastern Med cruise, but it was my favorite. Dubrovnik is great too.

Our favorite cities visited in the Med are Barcelona (Los Ramblas), Florence (Pisa), Rome (everything!), Naples (Pompeii & Amalfi Coast), Venice (gondola ride), Dubrovnik (city walls), Rhodes (Old Town & Lindos) and Kusadasi (Ephesus & shopping). The last three are Eastern but are safe and friendly cruise destinations.

Another port I consider amazing for the western Med is Naples, in order to see Pompeii, Isle of Capri, or the Amalfi coast.

If you wish to be home for May 16, may I suggest Celebrity Summit, departing Barcelona Spain April 30 for Cannes, Florence, Rome, Naples, Palermo, Tunis, and Palma de Mallorca. Cruise ends May 10.

If you wish to consider cruising after May 16, you will have more choices for itineraries. On the other hand, ports and sites will be busier as you get into June, and high season for the Med.

Our favourites are Rome (Civitavecchia) - masses to see (in both senses of the word), Barcelona (apart from the Ramblas - don't understand the appeal of this over-touristy, crowded street), and Naples (far too much to see on just one visit).

Not particularly impressed by Nice or Florence (Livorno).

It's a pity to miss out on the Eastern Med though. I'm not aware that there are any particular dangers there. In fact it's probably safer than the likes of Barcelona and Rome.

• 5 years later...