Celebrity Air

kristicruise

I booked the air with celebrity. After having to wait until 60 days before the cruise. Celebrity has us (my senior citizen parents and me) booked on US Airways from IAH to Phoenix, then to LAX where we were told by the airline we would have to claim our bags and recheck them with Qantas. Everyone I have spoken with at Celebrity has been dismissive and unsympathetic. Aonza is the only person that seemed to care that I have two senior citizens, one of which will be requiring a wheelchair, and I am going to have to move them, and our luggage around LAX from the commuter terminal to the International terminal. How can it be for a large corporation that books thousands of airfares to make this more difficult? I would like to speak with someone who can address this. I am sick of hearing "we do not control the airlines. so too bad" This is unacceptable. Does Celebrity's booking agents even consider their elderly clientele?

Kristi, We can tell you are mad at Celebrity. but since you did book cruise air, and now have your tickets, perhaps it is better to focus on planning to use them.

So maybe the best questions are how to get wheelchairs and luggage thru your connections the easiest way? I think you will need to contact your airlines and not the cruiseline, they should know the details.

Good Luck.

This is unacceptable. Does Celebrity's booking agents even consider their elderly clientele?

They do, they offer air deviation. They also offer the less expensive option of accepting whatever flights the cruise line gives you. They'll also accept a "cruise only" reservation and let you book your own air.

Previous poster is correct. Find out how to get wheel chairs for your parents and a porter to assist you with your luggage. Even if Celebrity will let you drop air, it will probably be expensive.

Did you pay for "Custom Air" or Air Deviation" or whatever Celebrity calls it?

If not, then Celebrities obligation is to get you from Point A to Point B for the least expensive costs. Sounds like the job was done.

Now that you have your reservations in hand, you can now go to the airlines website and check for special assistance for your elderly parents.

I booked the air with celebrity. After having to wait until 60 days before the cruise. Celebrity has us (my senior citizen parents and me) booked on US Airways from IAH to Phoenix, then to LAX where we were told by the airline we would have to claim our bags and recheck them with Qantas. Everyone I have spoken with at Celebrity has been dismissive and unsympathetic. Aonza is the only person that seemed to care that I have two senior citizens, one of which will be requiring a wheelchair, and I am going to have to move them, and our luggage around LAX from the commuter terminal to the International terminal. How can it be for a large corporation that books thousands of airfares to make this more difficult? I would like to speak with someone who can address this. I am sick of hearing "we do not control the airlines. so too bad" This is unacceptable. Does Celebrity's booking agents even consider their elderly clientele?

Celebrity has no control over the airlines scheduling or procedures. You are barking at the wrong people. There is NOTHING Celebrity can do.

Best bet for you is to arrange a wheelchair at the ramp when you get off the plane in LAX. It's simple to claim luggage, get to the International terminal and check in.....it's only walking.....and there's no charge.

Stop looking for Celebrity to "make it all better" for you....and start planning the change. Thousands and thousands of people do this everyday at many major airports around the world. Nobody's picking on you or the elderly.

Next time, book your own air and pay for a routing that will not require you to checkin at a distant airport. It is possible to do that.

Yes, you do need to contact the airlines anyway. You need to get seat assignments. You need to watch the flights they may get changed. Celebrity may see the change and report it to you with a delay.

So now you need to take control of the situation.

You can let this board know what flights you are on, gates etc. There may be some hints we can share. Just look past the "what you should have done" advice now and plan your trip from here.

Good luck.

You booked cruise air; of course you had to wait 60 days before to get your airline information. Celebrity was not "picking" on you personally! Honestly, I also am not sure exactly what your complaint is. This is not Celebrity's concern, nor is it a large problem. You are the one making it so difficult. Even if you had booked this yourself, you may have run into the need to claim and recheck bags.

Stop wasting time and energy acting like a victim and be proactive to solve your problem. As suggested, contact your airline and arrange for a wheelchair. This link may be helpful to you:

http://www.iflylax.com/lax_pass_disabled.php

OP,

You are going to have to make your own arrangements. ALL airlines provide wheelchairs BUT only from/to/between gates and/or outside to curbside pickup/the bus. They do not generally provide service from terminal to terminal. They will help.

I have had to do this with my Mother and also one of my disabled employees. You need to do these things in this order.

1. Call US Air-make arrangements for a wheelchair from check-in at IAH to the gate, from gate to gate in PHX and from the gate to the curb (through baggage claim) when you arrive Terminal 1, LAX (the US Air terminal).

Also call Qantas for service from the curb, through check in and security to the gate.

While you are on the phone with both airlines, get your seat assignments. IF you parent needs wheelchair assistance INTO the plane, you will need aisle seats.

3. Use the services of a redcap at baggage claim to get the luggage to the curb.

4. IF the only problem is walking and the person needing the wheelchair can make it on the bus for Terminal 1 to Terminal 4 (the AA/Qantas terminal) transfer (a LONG walk), then just catch the intra terminal bus. IF the person needs to be lifted in the chair on the bus, then you will have to call the wheel chair assistance-310 646-802. Sometimes the wheelchair attendant will make the call BUT it sure won't hurt to make the call when you come off the plane.

5. Someone with a wheelchair from Qantas will meet the wheelchair shuttle or bus at Terminal 4, get you through check-in and security and to the gate.

All services are free from the airlines other than the traditional tip to the redcaps, but you MUST make the arrangements IN ADVANCE. And call the day before to MAKE SURE those arrangements have been noted and are in place.

An option to the wheelchair shuttle is a taxi from terminal to terminal. I did this with my Mother on the way back from Hawaii when we changed terminals. Wheelchair to the curb, I grabbed a cab and between the taxi driver, redcap and myself, it was really easier dealing with the luggage with the taxi than when we went to Hawaii, encountered the same situation and used the wheelchair bus. Cost-about $12.00

It is really a shame that your TA was not more forthcoming about air travel arrangements. An AA/Qantas connection would have checked the luggage all the way through to Australia/New Zealand and NO change of terminals.

As others have posted, Celebrity air/sea dept has no idea who is traveling or what their needs are. They merely have name, ages and passport number. Another pitfall of cruise air.

Where is your destination port? If you are flying over seas, you will have to come back through customs when you return. This is what we had to do when flying back into Atlanta. We had to claim our bags, and take them to another area of the airport, and recheck them to go through customs. It was a pain with my elderly parents. :eek: I wish I had known ahead of time that this would be happening, and then I would have planned for it. We did take advantage of the free shuttle type rides inside the airport.

Although we normally book our own air, we have in the past used cruiseline air for "open jaw" cruises. That's when we found that paying the Air Deviation fee could come in quite handy. :) We were able to plan our flights through the cruiseline, and receive a better price than buying direct.

greatam gives great advice. Listen to him!

I don't always agree with greatma conclusions, but he is 100% correct here. You/your TA should have priced out optimum flights, I'm sure greatam is correct with the AA/Qantas connection, and only booked cruise air if the savings vs optimum flights was significant. It's possible you saved enough $$ for 3 passengers to justify the inconvenience. The problem is you never took the time to decide, in advance, if the savings is worth it.

OP,

It is really a shame that your TA was not more forthcoming about air travel arrangements. An AA/Qantas connection would have checked the luggage all the way through to Australia/New Zealand and NO change of terminals.

As others have posted, Celebrity air/sea dept has no idea who is traveling or what their needs are. They merely have name, ages and passport number. Another pitfall of cruise air.

That's two of you-HIM.

I am a 60 yo female that owns an international logistics company. I ship freight and people worldwide on planes, trucks, ships, buses, trains and even some donkey carts about 8 years ago in Kazakhstan. I have owned the business since 1976-over 30 years. Not the norm for a female with a law school education but an exciting life for me.

I'm sure greatam is correct with the AA/Qantas connection, and only booked cruise air if the savings vs optimum flights was significant. It's possible you saved enough $$ for 3 passengers to justify the inconvenience.

Why is your focus ALWAYS on CHEAPEST price??? This is one time SPECIFICALLY where a few more dollars (or a little research by a GOOD TA) could have saved significant time and hassle, maybe even a few dollars. IF the OP doesn't have AT LEAST two hours between flights, the connection may not be made. AND on the return, with immigration and customs PLUS the hassle of a terminal change (the return MAY be into TBIT, not Terminal 4), a 4 hour connection time is recommended. Rechecking into Terminal 1 (US Air AND SW) and getting through security is ALWAYS a hassle. Lines are often out of the terminal in the street.

The problem is you never took the time to decide, in advance, if the savings is worth it.

The OP asked for help (and to rant). Why the snarky comment?????

That's two of you-HIM.

I am a 60 yo female that owns an international logistics company. I ship freight and people worldwide on planes, trucks, ships, buses, trains and even some donkey carts about 8 years ago in Kazakhstan. I have owned the business since 1976-over 30 years. Not the norm for a female with a law school education but an exciting life for me.

Well at least you can help the OP. They posted on the Celebrity board and I suggested they post here to get some ideas on what do now that they already have these flights.

Btw, I have only taken one cruise with Celebrity and most likely will not cruise with them again. I am totally not impressed with their air department. I was going to use them because they advertised a flight at a really low price (including the air deviation cost with my choice airline). But after they e-mailed the flights were available by the time I told them their error that I needed 4 tickets (not 3) by Monday they were gone and no longer available. I was more pissed about the lack of a person on a phone to speak to and e-mails from "Anon" at "Celebrity/RCCL Air Department" (or whatever). After the initial person I booked with left the company they refused to give me another "because of commission". Their pre-cruise customer service is non existent and below "Mass Market" standards. Sorry to go off on a rant but the OP will never get any assistance from them. This board will be more helpful.

I appreciate the advice on the porters and transportation. I really feel that the TA and Celebrity dropped the ball on this. I am not a "victim" but I do have a mother with difficulty walking long distances. Celebrity keeps telling me to contact my TA and the TA says that Celebrity booked the fares. I am trying to arrange other flights, this just caught me off guard. I guess I learned an expensive lesson.

Well at least you can help the OP. They posted on the Celebrity board and I suggested they post here to get some ideas on what do now that they already have these flights.

But after they e-mailed the flights were available by the time I told them their error that I needed 4 tickets (not 3) by Monday they were gone and no longer available. I was more pissed about the lack of a person on a phone to speak to and e-mails from "Anon" at "Celebrity/RCCL Air Department" (or whatever). After the initial person I booked with left the company they refused to give me another "because of commission". Their pre-cruise customer service is non existent and below "Mass Market" standards. Sorry to go off on a rant but the OP will never get any assistance from them. This board will be more helpful.

Everyone has different experiences. I won't cruise with Princess for a variety of reasons. But have had absolutely stellar service from X-especially when my cruise was canceled less than 10 days pre cruise because Infinity broke down in the Panama Canal. Money was back on my credit card within 24 hours, letter for airline change fee was emailed within 72 hours AND I got a cert for a free cruise.

As for the X air/sea dept, you needed 4 tickets. They most likely only had 3. So what would you have had them do???? Especially if it was an airfare special. First come, first served on cruise air. When the bulk booked tickets are gone, they are gone. No chance of getting more without a large upcharge.

. I am trying to arrange other flights, this just caught me off guard. I guess I learned an expensive lesson.

If you post your flight dates, perhaps someone here can help you find other alternatives.

IMO, your TA is giving you less than stellar service. They could at least help you find different flights if you want to cancel your cruise air.

I appreciate the advice on the porters and transportation. I really feel that the TA and Celebrity dropped the ball on this. I am not a "victim" but I do have a mother with difficulty walking long distances. Celebrity keeps telling me to contact my TA and the TA says that Celebrity booked the fares. I am trying to arrange other flights, this just caught me off guard. I guess I learned an expensive lesson.

Since you have a TA, it is the TA who is NEGLIGENT in not taking all factors into consideration. Pass the blame game sounds like a TA who has not a clue.

Example: TA-Do you need air??? You-Yes TA-OK, I will book it.

And at that point, the TA merely put in for X air, with NO consideration for your parents age or health, what flight connections were available or even asking if you wanted air deviation. NEGLIGENT, NEGLIGENT, NEGLIGENT!!!! BAD TA

Your TA will have to handle any changes. But it will cost you a heap of money most likely. Just take things step by step as I posted. It will work out OK, so long as you have the needed connection times. If the connection times are shorter than I posted, you may have some SERIOUS problems. Good luck!!!

If you post your flight dates, perhaps someone here can help you find other alternatives.

IMO, your TA is giving you less than stellar service. They could at least help you find different flights if you want to cancel your cruise air.

Too late to cancel cruise air. 60 days pre cruise-final payment, no refunds. It is a fact of life that the OP most likely is STUCK with the flights they have WITHOUT HUGE upcharges. Airline change fees for 2 airlines would be the least of it.

You, and a few other posters, have written extensively on the pitfalls of cruise air. Unless I'm missing something the only reason to even think of booking cruise air is to save money. Can you think of a single reason to book cruise air other then the possibility of saving money. Would you suggest cruise air if the price was the same? Only a few dollars cheaper. Passengers considering cruise air should price both, and consider cruise air only if the savings are large enough to put up with the negatives. You may think the savings are never high enough and other people may be happy if they can save a few hundred dollars.

My "snarky" comment should have been directed to their TA (or Princess if they booked direct). There is a point in which inconvenient connections may be worth the savings. The TA should have presented the alternative to the OP or at least suggest the OP research air before booking cruise air.

I agree this is one case in which more then a few dollars more would have been worth it. The OP wasn't able to make an intelligent decision because the alternative was not presented to them and they didn't do any research.

Can any TA that books a cruise also book cruise air? Are there many TAs that can book cruise air but are unable (or don't know how to) book "conventional" air. Is that part of problem (in general)?

Remember very few cruise passengers have your ability to research creative flight arrangements. I suspect kayak is about as far as most passengers go. I suspect many use travelocity/expedia/orbitz and may not even think to go directly to the carriers website to book.

Sorry my post wasn't worded better, I was agreeing with you.

Why is your focus ALWAYS on CHEAPEST price??? This is one time SPECIFICALLY where a few more dollars (or a little research by a GOOD TA) could have saved significant time and hassle, maybe even a few dollars. IF the OP doesn't have AT LEAST two hours between flights, the connection may not be made. AND on the return, with immigration and customs PLUS the hassle of a terminal change (the return MAY be into TBIT, not Terminal 4), a 4 hour connection time is recommended. Rechecking into Terminal 1 (US Air AND SW) and getting through security is ALWAYS a hassle. Lines are often out of the terminal in the street.

The OP asked for help (and to rant). Why the snarky comment?????

an idea--Would it pay possible to book (independent) AA from IAH to LAX and keep the Quantas part of cruise air? It doesn't sound the cruise line/or TA will be doing anything. At 60 days could they get workable fares for the IAH-LAX segment?

That's two of you-HIM.

So sorry greatam! :o :o :o Your name should be greatmam instead! :D

As for the X air/sea dept, you needed 4 tickets. They most likely only had 3. So what would you have had them do???? Especially if it was an airfare special. First come, first served on cruise air. When the bulk booked tickets are gone, they are gone. No chance of getting more without a large upcharge.

I think at the time they just made a (big) mistake because they e-mailed they had them but the confirmation had my DH missing. As far as "deal" it was $525.00 pp from the East coast to Florida. It was no special. We ended up paying a bit less by using a couple $99.00 vouchers but the point was people e-mailing from cruise air regarding over a $2K purchase, not signing a name, nor giving a phone number to call. It was not personal service, and worse because I was told I had to talk to whomever answered the phone in customer service when I called with any questions regarding the cruise since my "vacation planner" had left the company over 6 months prior to the cruise. I don't want to go into it but Celebrity is really lacking in customer service for first time Celebrity cruisers. Those at least on their second cruise can go to the Captains Club group with any questions.

Archived