Alaska on board naturalists

RCDR

On Noordam alaska last year, the naturalist had regular seminars in the crows nest-which were very good. I may be confusing cruises, but i think he also spoke in the vista lounge. THe outdoor narration we only heard when we were on the outside decks; we were on 6, midship, and i think the best memory of the balcony was the absolute silence as we approached the glaciers-talks were all listed in the daily program, so you can plan ahead. We haven't been in your specific cabin location, so maybe someon else will post......There was also a good guidebook which we purchased onboard-- a good supplement to the lectures and locations.

Possibly. The talks are broadcast on outside decks, and usually in the Crow's Nest, too. (It can be hard to hear in there, though.)

But, it may also be on the TV. That won't help on your balcony, though.

Besides, you will miss too much if you restrict yourself from watching only from your own balcony; you'll have more flexibility and better views from an outside public deck.

Besides, you will miss too much if you restrict yourself from watching only from your own balcony; you'll have more flexibility and better views from an outside public deck.
I can NOT agree strong enough with this. We had balconies on two of our Alaskan cruises and will NOT do so again (short of winning the Powerball). We feel too limited by seeing only what happens to be on our side of the ship - when the spectacular scenery is ALL around the ship. We rarely used our balconies. The only reason we booked the balconies was to be near my 'parental units'. Step-mom was claustrophobic and required one. It was worth the expense for that that reason alone, and the extra space of the S suite was VERY nice, but otherwise wasted $$ for our needs in Alaska.

We always book verandah cabins -- even for Alaska -- and we had great views from our verandah - watching the glaciers calve.

We had a speaker on the PA system which we were able to hear on our verandah as the unit was close to our verandah.

The naturalists had seminars in the lounges at special times listed in the daily programs which their speeches were entirely different than the speakers talking about the wildlife and the calving of the glaciers.

They broadcast the commentary by the naturalist on a TV channel which makes it easy to listen from your balcony. We loved sitting out there with our blankeys and hot chocolate, there is so much scenery on most of the cruise, not just while you have the naturalist onboard. We did go out on deck for some of the time while cruising in the glacier area, but it was much more comfortable on our balcony. On our cruise the naturalist also gave history and nature talks in the theatre which were very interesting.

fun*n*sun got it right! Prop the balcony door open, turn up the tv a bit and you've got your private viewing space! We've always had great experiences viewing Hubbard from our balcony and will do it again in 2010 - different glaciers though this time! Its wonderful! Snuggle in your robe and deck blanket, hot chocolate or coffee, some munchies from the Lido or room service - hey, you're set! Enjoy!

I can NOT agree strong enough with this. We had balconies on two of our Alaskan cruises and will NOT do so again (short of winning the Powerball). We feel too limited by seeing only what happens to be on our side of the ship - when the spectacular scenery is ALL around the ship. We rarely used our balconies. The only reason we booked the balconies was to be near my 'parental units'. Step-mom was claustrophobic and required one. It was worth the expense for that that reason alone, and the extra space of the S suite was VERY nice, but otherwise wasted $$ for our needs in Alaska.

Would highly recommend balcony for Alaska. We loved it, rugged up out there in our own piece of heaven...

We spent the glacier day on the main deck with everyone else, but could not hear the naturalist anyway. She was so monotone that I dont think anyone stayed to listen for long. I think it may have been her first time...

:D :D :D

• 1 month later...
I'm sorry, but I saw this and thought "no clothes". A little scary on my part no doubt! Our last European trip has me reading things a little "off". Funny anyway!

Ha! You are not alone. My first thought as well, and the question? "can I hear them?" Well, you can imagine my laughter at that point! And to think I have been avoiding an Alaska cruise for years! What the heck have I been missing?!?

Archived