Do all TAs give OBC?????

We, along with my family have booked a total of 10+ cruises with our TA. Our first one was a group of 5 rooms. We got bottles of wine and stuff that time. Nothing for anyone since then. Since RC doesn't discount our TA discounted our cruises this year 10% in the form of a rebate check sent after payment was made.

Same here. We are in a discount travel club and we get rebated @ 10% of the base cruise fare. Any bonus incentives get rebated back also. I book directly with RCL then transfer the booking just before final payment. I stopped using a TA several years ago when we went on a really expensive 12 night European cruise and she gave us nothing as a gift or anything. There didn't seem to be an incentive to give up control of a booking to someone who doesn't give you anything in return for your business. I had made all the arrangements. She just participated in the transfer of the booking. I've got nothing against travel agents, it is just business. Now I get money back.

I often wondered what the commision was. Somewhat said ten percent. I think I would feel very cheap asking for an OBC.

My Xmas cruise cost a little under four grand so an on board credit of 100.00 would be me asking for 1/4 of her income. I would not feel good about that.

However last July a suite on the mariner was 8 grand and five balcony rooms on Carnival was about 16k. Thats not bad money for making a few phone calls. hummmmm

Please keep in mind that if the commission is 10%, the TA only gets a portion of that. The rest goes back to the company. The TA, in most cases, will get only between 70% & 80% if that.

In an earlier post I gave an example of a cruise I made $36 commission on (spliting it with my agency owner - I make $18). After working two hours on it is not feasable to purchase a gift. No one works for free - I think that is a reasonable assumption. I am fare and always give gifts but in some cases you have to draw the line. I had clients once spend 300,000 on one cruise. The commission was very very large so they got the works...OBC, limo transportation to from airport, and a lovely basket sent to their homes on return.

Travel agents make 10% standard commission of the cruise fare. Now some agenicies depending on volume can make anywhere from 10-15% commissions with certain cruise lines and the big internet TAs get additional kickbacks! I know at our office - RCI we receive 14%, NCL 10%, Celebrity 12%.

To give you an idea:

I just booked a 7 night NCL cruise for someone, as I have stated above and in another post, the cruise cost per person is $560 per person

All rates are total for two

-Cruise fare $368 - this is the fare that the travel agents get commission on in my case it is 10%

-Port taxes $330

-Government Taxes: 286.20

-Fuel Supplement: $154

TOTAL CLIENT PAYS 1138.02

This is to give you an idea how much of the cruise fare is NON COMMISSIONABLE. So sometimes you may spend 3,000-5,000 total and get a small gift or no gift. Keep in mind about $700-800 is non commissionable - as the example above shows. Still I am a beleiver in gifts so long as the commission is $100 or more.

In an earlier post I gave an example of a cruise I made $36 commission on (spliting it with my agency owner - I make $18). After working two hours on it is not feasable to purchase a gift. No one works for free - I think that is a reasonable assumption. I am fare and always give gifts but in some cases you have to draw the line. I had clients once spend 300,000 on one cruise. The commission was very very large so they got the works...OBC, limo transportation to from airport, and a lovely basket sent to their homes on return.

Travel agents make 10% standard commission of the cruise fare. Now some agenicies depending on volume can make anywhere from 10-15% commissions with certain cruise lines and the big internet TAs get additional kickbacks! I know at our office - RCI we receive 14%, NCL 10%, Celebrity 12%.

To give you an idea:

I just booked a 7 night NCL cruise for someone, as I have stated above and in another post, the cruise cost per person is $560 per person

-Cruise fare $368 - this is the fare that the travel agents get commission on in my case it is 10%

-Port taxes $330

This is to give you an idea how much of the cruise fare is NON COMMISSIONABLE. So sometimes you may spend 3,000-5,000 total and get a small gift or no gift. Keep in mind about $700-800 is non commissionable - as the example above shows. Still I am a beleiver in gifts so long as the commission is $100 or more.

Thank you for the additional clarification/example.... ;) :D

No,they do not.And my best guess is..Few do..

You may have a TA you use a lot,that will.You may have larger companys that do.Some do to offset RCI's no discounting policey.Sometimes they run specials and promos..and sometimes they just need the business..

But no..its not an industry standard.

Hey Cat. Was wondering how you made out from the storm? I asked and someone thought that you had moved from Dickenson and closer in to Houston. Hope all is well over your way.

Hey Gordon..How are you?

Yes,I have moved to Kingwood,which is North of Houston,about 10 miles from the big airport..Guess I need to change that huh..

We did Ok here,no power for 12 days,fence down, but thats about it.

My Stepson is (was) in San Leon,Dickinson School District..up the bay from Galveston,about a block from the bay..two story home is gone,and everything in it...It was actually under water by 5 pm Friday...,

I need to get back in the swing here..We are looking at Alaska in June....So much to think about..

Wonder if I will get an OBC...lol

Hey Gordon..How are you?

Yes,I have moved to Kingwood,which is North of Houston,about 10 miles from the big airport..Guess I need to change that huh..

My Stepson is (was) in San Leon,Dickinson School District..up the bay from Galveston,about a block from the bay..two story home is gone,and everything in it...It was actually under water by 5 pm Friday...,

I need to get back in the swing here..We are looking at Alaska in June....So much to think about..

I have to ask - were you on a Princess cruise in early November of '04 on the Mexican Riviera? If so, did you do the Randi's Happy Horses excursion?

To give you an idea:

-Port taxes $330

Why would port fees and fuel supplement be different from one cabin to the next? I would have thought they are fixed costs.

I have used the same online agency for years that offers pre paid grats consider that a nice offering. They honor all price drops, all changes without any charges. I do my own research so when I call them all they have to do is enter my information. I really like that idea of the pre paid gratuities since I consider that money saved out of my pocket. And the best thing is I do not have to go on any TIP threads here :-)

I wonder if it depends on if you use a "small" TA or a bigger company? I wouldnt book with a TA UNLESS they gave me an OBC. I see MANY MANY bigger TAs out there who almost ALWAYS give something. Maybe the size of the agency matters?

But I would never book with a TA who didnt give me something, knowing that I can do the same thing on my own.

Happycruiser, many TA's do offer OBC. In my experience, the ones that offer the biggest OBC's are the TA's that specialize in dealing with educated cruisers who need little in the way of assistance in choosing and planning for thier cruise. If you know exactly what cruise you want, and do not need help in planning your pre- or post-cruise stays, air travel, etc, then there are TA's that will happily do your booking for you, and give you the maximum OBC allowable by RCI rules.

There are also TA's that specialize in providing full-service to their clients, helping them in researching, choosing, booking, planning and arranging for all their travel needs associated with the cruise. These TA's usually do not give OBC's, or if they do, they are small. This is understandable considering the greater amount of time they spend on your business.

As an experienced cruiser, I prefer to do all of my own research, planning, and booking. I transfer my booking to a TA at the last minute, and get the largest possible OBC. That works for me. :)

I am new to cruising and on first cruise just booked through RCI. So do you book w/ RCI and then transfer? Exactly how do you do that? Contact TA and tell them of your reservation and they take it over or contact RCI or what? What is the process?

Thanks

I am new to cruising and on first cruise just booked through RCI. So do you book w/ RCI and then transfer? Exactly how do you do that? Contact TA and tell them of your reservation and they take it over or contact RCI or what? What is the process?

Thanks

1. Let your TA know you plan to transfer the cruise. Download the transfer form from RCI web site.

2. Complete the form and fax it to RCI.

3. Call your TA back and advise you've faxed the form so they can contact RCI. It usually takes RCI a few hours to send to the TA.

4. Your TA will then send you a new invoice, which should also list your OBC from TA on it and/or any other perks.

Hey Gordon..How are you?

Hey! Good to hear from you! Have been wondering for a while now how you were doing!

jc<---- never gets OBC from TA... thinks that if you book based on the overall best price... are you paying for your obc or dealing with someone that is violating RCI's TA policies. :D

Happycruiser, many TA's do offer OBC. In my experience, the ones that offer the biggest OBC's are the TA's that specialize in dealing with educated cruisers who need little in the way of assistance in choosing and planning for thier cruise. If you know exactly what cruise you want, and do not need help in planning your pre- or post-cruise stays, air travel, etc, then there are TA's that will happily do your booking for you, and give you the maximum OBC allowable by RCI rules.

There are also TA's that specialize in providing full-service to their clients, helping them in researching, choosing, booking, planning and arranging for all their travel needs associated with the cruise. These TA's usually do not give OBC's, or if they do, they are small. This is understandable considering the greater amount of time they spend on your business.

As an experienced cruiser, I prefer to do all of my own research, planning, and booking. I transfer my booking to a TA at the last minute, and get the largest possible OBC. That works for me. :)

I do all my research and bookings on my own. I have never transferred a booking to a TA, but wish to do so for my FOS June 2009 sailing. I happen to know that many TA's who specialize in cruises, and/or utilize "preferred vendors" can earn upwards of 15%. I have a JR. Suite, and an I/S cabin booked to the tune of over $7,600 net. Again, all the legwork and booking has been done by me, making me a low maintenance customer for a TA. Can you, or anyone, recommend or steer me in the right direction of a trusted TA that would like my business? :D

I do all my research and bookings on my own. I have never transferred a booking to a TA' date=' but wish to do so for my FOS June 2009 sailing. I happen to know that many TA's who specialize in cruises, and/or utilize "preferred vendors" can earn upwards of 15%. I have a JR. Suite, and an I/S cabin booked to the tune of over $7,600 net. Again, all the legwork and booking has been done by me, making me a low maintenance customer for a TA. Can you, or anyone, recommend or steer me in the right direction of a trusted TA that would like my business? :D[/quote']

It is against the Community Guidelines of Cruise Critic to provide referrals to TA's. And this is a good thing - if they allowed that, this forum would become overwhelmed with TA's trying to get our business...and none of us want that. :)

What I encourage you to do is simply do some google searching. Use various combinations of words to search for TA's that offer OBC's. Granted, this won't tell you whether these companies are any good, but there are other ways to get references on TA's. There are other travel-related message forums where you can ask members what they think about a particular TA...or just do a web search looking for postings about that TA.

It is against the Community Guidelines of Cruise Critic to provide referrals to TA's. And this is a good thing - if they allowed that, this forum would become overwhelmed with TA's trying to get our business...and none of us want that. :)

What I encourage you to do is simply do some google searching. Use various combinations of words to search for TA's that offer OBC's. Granted, this won't tell you whether these companies are any good, but there are other ways to get references on TA's. There are other travel-related message forums where you can ask members what they think about a particular TA...or just do a web search looking for postings about that TA.

Ooops, as you can see, I am pretty new to CC. :o Hope I didn't offend anyone. You're right, without the rules it would surely be mayhem! Thanks for your great advice.

Hey Gordon..How are you?

Doing well Cat. Getting ready to cruise in a few weeks.

Twelve days without power would not be easy but at least no major damage. Sorry to hear about your Stepsons home. So much damage down that way.

Alaska will be great. May be doing that myself in July of next year.:)

:o Do you ask for the OBC from your TA, or do they freely offer it to you? I feel like my TA should give me some kind of offer because I do all my research and let him know exacly what I want and make no changes or other demands.

:o Do you ask for the OBC from your TA, or do they freely offer it to you? I feel like my TA should give me some kind of offer because I do all my research and let him know exacly what I want and make no changes or other demands.

I usually ask for quotes from several TA's. Some TA's automatically add OBC's to all quotes - these are generally TA companies that specialize in dealing with self-sufficient cruisers, and advertise as such, so I know that they will include an OBC in their offer. I have also emailed requests for quotes from TA's in which I explained that I had already booked the cabin, would need no additional services (in terms of pre- or post-cruise planning, flights etc.) and was looking for the best deal, including an OBC.

Don't be afraid to ask a TA directly for an OBC. Some members in this forum (primarily TA's) have expressed horror that someone would do this - I've been accused of trying to steal money out of the pockets of poor underpaid TA's, leaving them starving and unable to feed their children! But the fact is, this is nothing but a business deal - it's you purchasing a product. Asking for an OBC is no different than negotiating a better deal on a car. And it is the TA's choice whether or not to give you one. It IS important to factor in the amount of service you will need - it would be unethical to tell a TA that you will need no additional service from them, and then hit them later with a ton of requests for assistance in pre-cruise plans.

But there is nothing wrong with asking, and negotiating, for the best deal you can get. :)

I ended up booking our first cruise (7 rooms) by myself because the TA wasnt very helpful and surely never mentioned OBC which I had learned about here:D How do you transfer your reservation to a TA? Do you google TA's on line to find one who will give OBC?

We can't tell you who we use b/c it is against the rules on this board. However, I can tell you, after reading these boards I went out and did a search for TA's and that is how I found the one I am using. Did not know it at the time, but she ends up being right here in Orlando. But I found here on the web and she has been great. There are many sites that will compete for your business. You find the one that gives you the best, then try one cruise with them and see how it goes. That is what I did. Everything went great, and now I xfer all my cruises to her.

1. Let your TA know you plan to transfer the cruise. Download the transfer form from RCI web site.

2. Complete the form and fax it to RCI.

3. Call your TA back and advise you've faxed the form so they can contact RCI. It usually takes RCI a few hours to send to the TA.

4. Your TA will then send you a new invoice, which should also list your OBC from TA on it and/or any other perks.

Glad I don't have to go through all that to xfer. I already have my invoice from RCI for my reservation. All I do is scan and email that to my TA and she calls or does whatever she does with RCI and within a day or less she emails me a new invoice showing my reservation is now with her and all the information is there. That is all I have to do. Very easy. Goes fast to, usually within 2 hours if I check my reservation online RCI says it is with the TA already.

Glad I don't have to go through all that to xfer. I already have my invoice from RCI for my reservation. All I do is scan and email that to my TA and she calls or does whatever she does with RCI and within a day or less she emails me a new invoice showing my reservation is now with her and all the information is there. That is all I have to do. Very easy. Goes fast to, usually within 2 hours if I check my reservation online RCI says it is with the TA already.

Maybe your TA is faxing the form on your behalf.... but if she is, she is signing your name to it! :eek:

We used to be able to phone RCI and request the transfer but the past few years RCI has required the form. I don't know why they would require the form for *some* people and not for others. There are a lot of inconsistencies with RCI, for sure. :)

Here is the link to download the Transfer form.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/TA_TransferForm.pdf

Why would port fees and fuel supplement be different from one cabin to the next? I would have thought they are fixed costs.

They are fixed costs. For the sailing I gave an example for all cabins pay the port tax, gov tax and fuel fee.

My comment about the 700-800 was an estamation of how much non commissionable items run for a typical $3000-$5000 - They could even run more if there is a third and fourth passenger involved. My point is to keep in mind that a portion of your cruise - the TA does not make commission on. Such as in my example of a 36.00 commission. How could I give a $25 OBC on that or a $30 fruit basket. Not all cruise lines offer gifts under $25.00. RCI and Carnival do but they are the exception.

I know I am going to get yelled at on here because I once said this before on another thread and I was put in my place but I will say it again........

There are some people here that believe if they use a TA the only good they provide is OBC. But GOOD TA's are useful for other things as well. My point of my post is to shed some light on possibly why sometimes you may not get OBC. May not mean the TA does not appreciate your business. In some instances it may not be feasable - especially if its a promo rate.

I am not trying to side with TAs since I am one. I am in the business and I am just trying to provide some insight from the other side. I wish I can give everyone OBC!

Archived