Live from the Monarch - Panama Canal repositioning

rubrrick

that looked really close--what is the clearance?

She probably only had a few feet on either side at most. On Brilliance the clearance didn't look wide enough for a person to slip down in there.

Ok I dont know and the only way to find out is ask lol :confused: . Does she still have to go through the gatun locks? If so about when will that be?

Yes, she will have to go through the Gatun Locks to exit the canal. How long that will be varies depending on the traffic, but usually it takes about 8 hours for the full transit.

I think Rick posted that they were going to be at Gatun around 5-6 pm our time. But then the arrival at Miraflores got backed up so I'd guess Monarch will be around Gatun by 6:30-7 pm EST.

P.S. - how ya doing Wrona, we had snow here last night! It's not going to stay though. Say hi to Shawn for me.

Yes, she will have to go through the Gatun Locks to exit the canal. How long that will be varies depending on the traffic, but usually it takes about 8 hours for the full transit.

I guess I have time to get some work done, then.:p

Although I'm still in mourning, now I'm REALLY excited about our upcoming cruise through the Canal!:D

[quote name='wolfcathorse']P.S. - how ya doing Wrona, we had snow here last night! It's not going to stay though. Say hi to Shawn for me.[/quote]

Doing okay other than suffering cruise withdrawals. I just turned the heat on last night - first time this year. I'll pass along the hello.

[quote name='crazy 4 cruising'][URL]http://www.pancanal.com/eng/photo/camera-java.html[/URL] is the one. I noticed that the bridge link auto refreshes, but it lets you right click and save as:confused:

so were all those people watching locals? remoinds me of the ta we just did from England---in Cobh & St JOhn's locals came out to meet the ship & sail her away--it was fun[/quote]

Brenda - We also enjoyed the send off in Cobh and St. Johns. It reminds me of the old days of sailing and I thought I probably should have my white gloves on and a fancy hat. :)

Thanks to those who posted the great pictures of the Monarch in the locks.............reminds me even more of how much we miss her.

[quote name='mjldvlks']From looking at the Miraflores lock pics - it looks like she has not gotten to Centennial bridge yet. It looks like her in the distance.[/quote]

As FL Cruiser64 said, it appears that she hasn't yet entered the Pedro Miguel Locks. She has to pass through those before she will go under the Centennial Bridge and come into view.

[COLOR=Navy][SIZE=3]Ahoy Cruise Critic Posters:
Thanks for thinking of the other posters, and sharing those awesome pictures of the Monarach.
We will be sailing on her a few weeks after drydock out of Port Canaveral, Florida. We can't wait.
Happy Cruising to all. :)
[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Can't copy the hi res blow pic that shows her down at Pedro Miguel.

But it appears she may have passed the locks - seems to be sitting higher in the water now.

Yup, she is coming into view in the Centennial Bridge cam.

[quote name='wolfcathorse']I wonder if, for security reasons, they turn off cameras when a passenger ship goes through...[/QUOTE]

No, I saw a Princess ship go through the Miraflores locks yesterday afternoon. They were really zooming in to people on their balconies, too. LOL I have a question for you all.. I'll be on the Monarch in December, and just got my cabin assignment - 8012 (obstructed oceanview) Anybody know how obstructed the view will be? Thanks :) It's actually an upgrade from a deck 2 inside!

[quote name='crazy 4 cruising']how many locks are there? boy I sure am panama canal stupid:eek:[/quote]

There are 3 sets, Miraflores, Pedro Miguel, and Gatun Locks. Miraflores I believe is a set of 2 locks. I think (and I might be misremembering) that Pedro Miguel is only one lock. Gatun is a set of 3 locks.

[quote name='wrp96']There are 3 sets, Miraflores, Pedro Miguel, and Gatun Locks. Miraflores I believe is a set of 2 locks. I think (and I might be misremembering) that Pedro Miguel is only one lock. Gatun is a set of 3 locks.[/quote]
thanks Wrona--great info as usual.

now I need to check & see if the pictures I TRIED to capture from the bridge worked. I almost missed it.

Archived