Should I take something for sea sickness as a precaution ?

Delta Dear

I've never heard of preventative treatment of seasickness, only treatment of symptoms.

Sounds interesting, though.

Since you live in Delaware, you might try riding the Cape May/Lewes ferry back and forth. The ferry's got a bit of motion to it when underway and should give you an idea whether or not your lunch will have a second curtain call. :eek: If you have any symptoms from that, Dramamine or Bonine for OTC medications are effective, and ginger pills seem to be an effective natural remedy.

Bon voyage, on both prospective journeys.

I have no clue if I get seasick or not. A friend told me I should be taking something for a week in advance. Advice please. Leaving a week from today on the Sovereign of the Sea, Cabin 2586

I do not believe there is any reason to take anything for something you are not sure you would suffer from. I know that these ships - and as you'll see from my cruise history which includes your ship - are large and stabilized. Very smooth sailing! And your itinerary is not known for particularly rough seas. I doubt that you would take medicine for any other ailment you have no history of suffering from - not sure why you would do that now. Besides, your cabin is almost mid-ship and as low in the ship as you can be - which has the least effect of any motion. Just go and enjoy!

I have no clue if I get seasick or not. A friend told me I should be taking something for a week in advance. Advice please. Leaving a week from today on the Sovereign of the Sea, Cabin 2586

Everyone can get seasick, even if they never have before. I have never, ever heard of taking any kind of medicine a week in advance. Suggest you seek medical advice from your doctor, not a friend or chat board.

I always have Bonine in my carry on, just in case. Only needed it a couple times. If you feel a little sea sick go up on deck in the fresh air...look at the horizon, not down on the waves. You will love being at sea. :D

On our first cruse, I took a box of motion sickness pills with me, I only took them the first two days & then decided I was Ok with out them. Take a box, it won't take up much room & they are cheap. You probably won't need then Have a great trip. I never ger sea sick on a ferry, but have gotton sea sick on a small boat at sea, The large boats are so big & smooth, you'll be fine.

Do you get motion sickness on land? If you do, then you MAY get seasick. If you don't get sick on land, then you are much less likely to get seasick--I'd wait to take something. Only start on the "preventative" path if you have a history of motion sensitivity/

I would definately have something with you even through you can get pills on the ship. I take Marezine (Cyclizine Hydrochloride) which I get from drugstore.com. I don't always take it but I always have it. Different sea sick pills will work differently so check it out online.

I would think the person who said to take whatever a week before you start may have been talking about the patch which is a prescription. You wear a patch behind your ear for 3 days and then replace it with a new one. I have always been told to start maybe a day ahead of time so the medizine gets into your system.

Since this is your first cruise you might want to take a couple different motion sickness pills in case one type dosen't work for you.

Have a great cruise :D

I have been wondering similar. I get car sick and have been sea sick but the seas round the island can be rough (plus only travelled on small boats). The main thing for helping me is fast access to fresh air. Its always helped. We booked a balcony cabin and I will probably take some sea sickness stuff just in case.

Hi,

I'm new to this board. My wife and I booked a cruise in January on RCCL Voyager of the Seas to Western Caribbean. We are excited, but I am nervous about sea-sickness. Neither of us are particularly prone to motion sickness. We can ride in cars and airplane without a problem. But our first cruise was on our honeymoon and it was a miserable experience for us. It was on the SS Ocean Breeze (a 22,000 ton vessel that was dismantled for scrap metal a couple years back) out of Ft. Lauderdale over to Naussau and it was a short, 2 or 3 day cruise. We were in an "oceanview" cabin at the very front of the ship but all we could see was the deck. We took some Dramamine that we got from the help desk (or whatever it's called) and that made us feel even worse, if it's possible. We felt drowsy, dizzy and drugged while feeling sea sick.

My question is about Scopolamine or the Transderm-Scop patch. I am thinking about going to our doctor to get a medication just in case we have symptoms, but I'd love to hear about anyone else who has used this drug, before. Note that we do not drink and we rarely take prescription or OTC drugs, so I think our bodies are particularly sensitive to any type of medication. I was trying to find out if the T-Scop patch might cause us to feel similar to Dramamine.

I prefer Bonine because the ingredients do not make you sleepy and works well. Also, if you choose a cabin that is mid ship on a lower deck you will not feel much movement. Also, fresh air helps if you feel a bit green go up on deck, don't stay in your cabin.

I have used the patch for years on airplane flights, fishing boat charters, long driving trips (where I am the passenger). As long as I started taking it the day BEFORE the trip things were fine. If I waited until just 4 or 5 hours before to start taking it, it didn't work as well.

I will have to get one for my next cruise. Then I will decide once we are at sea whether to keep it on or not. I probably keep it on, because it doesn't effect my drinking:D

I keep a bottle of ginger pills on hand. When we board, I pop one, and another the next morning, as well. Sometimes I feel a little funny when we first get going, but in general, I guess I don't get seasick.

I didn't know, either, which was why I packed the ginger pills. I didn't take anything beforehand, though. Just on the ship. :)

If you want a little insurance, after you board, find your cabin, etc. head up to the buffet, get a snack, sit and relax. Pop a bonine or dramamine (non-drowsy) and don't worry. You will get the feel of things and be able to tell well ahead of time regarding potential problems. It may sound goofy but, if you think about it and worry about it, it will happen. A lot of times it can be mind over matter, some times it is not.

I took a Bonine and a ginger cap right before we boarded, and one every day in the morning before we left the cabin. I was very glad I did since we had horribly rough seas the last day. I felt it was easier just to have it in my system instead of waiting to see if I needed it. No side effects whatsoever. On our first cruise we did the patches, and I hated those. I wasted a lot of money on drinks. haha

• 2 weeks later...

We're booked for our first cruise in January. My sister is prone to motion sickness, and she swears by wrist bands that are supposed to work on pressure points to avoid nausea. Has anyone tried these? She swears they work, but has never cruised without them, so how does she know she would have gotten seasick without them? :rolleyes:

We took Bonine the night before leaving on our cruise and each night throughout. We had some rough seas cruising just post Katrina in '05, even some of the veteran cruisers were ill, but fortunately, neither of us had a problem.

I plan on starting the Bonine the night before our upcoming cruise as well, just to be on the safe side. I never felt "hung-over" the next day, and rested well...and it was a rocky ride for 2-3 days that first time. We really got our sea legs!

My family of 5 cruised in August. DH has suffered motion sickness before, but has seemed to be less with age. DD 19 gets motion sickness fairly easily, DD 17 not really at all, and DD 14 occasionally. I can feel queasy occasionlly, but not bad. We took Bonine along in case we needed it. DD's 19 and 14 ended up taking it a couple days. They and DH took it on one of our excursion days when we were going on a boat on a river. Ended up needing it more for the bus ride that day which was really rough. I also had ginger pills along which I took a few times when my stomach felt a little off and those took care of it.

I've read alot of people get bad side effects from the patch, double vision, dry mouth, dizzy. As far as Bonine, starting 24 hours before is plenty. I asked my BIL, a pharmacist, about Phenedryl (sp?), or something like that, which is a preventive and he said he would not recommend it because the side effects could be worse than any motion sickness we would get and not worth it unless we knew we'd get motion sickness bad.

Hope you have a great cruise! Don't stress!

Archived