My Experience: 2 year old and Camp Carnival

ata1976

We just returned from Carnival Inspiration. DS just turned 2 in July, so is on the young side of 2. We attended the Welcome Party in the disco on the first night and he really enjoyed that. He danced and played games with Funship Freddy. We got him registered and they gave us a cell phone to use on the ship. They advise you to call and check on your kids every hour or so.

The first day at sea we planned to take him for a hour or two and check it out. We all had breakfast and dropped him off at 9:10 AM. There were probably about 5 other kids there and more coming in the door. Me and DH were wondering around the ship trying to decide exactly what we wanted to do. At 9:40 Camp Carnival called and said that DS was not happy and to come get him. :rolleyes: That was the end of out experience.

I had read on here that that was someone else's experience too, so I was prepared for it. DS is very attached to me and although he does go to daycare during the week it took him about 2 months to be happy and not have a melt down everytime I drop him off at daycare. So I can see where Mommy dropping him off with complete strangers, on a boat no less, could be very scary.

I will say the camp carnival counselor did say we could try to bring him back another day but we never did. DS just hung out with us. Oh well, maybe next year. :)

At least you were prepared and gave it a try. That age is tricky. My 4 y.o. DS is just now going into preschool, Sunday school, etc., without any tears ( in fact, I have to beg for a goodbye kiss...he is off and running) It felt like we were never going to be at that stage. I am hoping this next cruise in January he is anxious to go and play too, he did fine when he was 3, but a little shy and clingy going in to Camp. Then you always worry if they are having fun and adjusting. Glad you still had a good cruise!

We are the ones with the same experience! DD is 3 now and we have tried and tried and still she wont stay. We have tried on the Inspiration, Victory and Liberty. She loved the welcome aboard dance party too so I thought for sure this last time she would be fine. For us, it didnt help going back on different days, they would still call us to come get her everytime. Its ok though we are use to it and I make sure to bring plenty of toys/games to keep her entertained just in case. Hopefully when she is older she will like it more. It nice to hear from others that 4-5 years old seems to be the age when they are able to separate more.

Glad you still had a nice cruise.

Julie

Every child is different. My older son never participated in the kids programs. He was content to use the pool and hang out with me. I warned him that if I heard "I'm bored"- he'd be shipped off to the kids program. He was eight when he started cruising.

My younger son- loves to go to the kids program and has since he was old enough to participate. He was 3, almost 4. So this age is probably more willing to go.

But again it depends on the kids. It is best to go when they are doing a project of some sort. Most kids really like the arts and crafts, silly games, and science projects. 2 year olds wouldn't be into that yet.

I must say that in my experience, Celebrity has had the most caring crew afloat. I have sailed Holland American, Princess, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, and Disney recently and I personally felt that Celebrity had the best organized program and the best staff. What's more there are fewer children on Celebrity and it makes for a more enjoyable experience for the kids.

My son still says Disney was the best and he was less enthusiastic about Princess than Holland but on Princess there was a youngster that kept hitting him. I was a bit troubled that he wasn't removed from the program. On Holland, which my son enjoyed very much, I walked in and heard the counselors speaking rather rudely to the kids. Other parents were troubled by this as well. Also the exterior door was broken and kids could easily "escape". In the end, my son loved Holland America though- so must not have bothered him.

After five cruises on Celebrity- I still think they are the best with kids. However, my son is an avid swimmer "a fish". He hates saltwater pools and that's all they have on Celebrity. So in spite of my great experiences on Celebrity, I have switched to Princess.

I agree that you had a great attitude about it. :D When my oldest was 2, she didn't like to be left in the kids club either. NOW, I have to drag her from them. But as a toddler, she just wanted mommy. :D

My youngest is different, she loved the clubs from the beginning.

Welcome back. So how was the rest of the cruise?

What I do with my DD is to go into the Kids Club with my DD the first afternoon, before it is open when it is quiet. She gets a chance to check the place out without feeling overwhelmed by the other kids and shy. She also gets to meet at least one of the counselors, and see all the cool things there that she wants to play with. Then when it is time to check her into camp, she is very eager to go, and feels more comfortable because she is familiar with her surroundings and "knows" someone (the counselor she met earlier).

I should also say that on her first cruise my DD was 5 (turning 6 on the cruise), so it's certainly different than with a 2-year old. I still wanted to throw out the idea to everyone though, because even when DD was younger, feeling familiar with a place definitely helped her feel more confident in separating from me.

Also most of the time I've done this, the kids camp has been technically closed that first afternoon, but the counselors have been very nice about it when we've asked if we can just come in with our DD and have a look around for a few minutes.

Archived