What To Wear In Italy (From Venice down to Florence) In March

I'm going to Venice, Rome, Florence, Pompeii, Assisi, and Siena Italy in March of 09 and am wondering what to wear. I thought winter coat, boots and gloves, but it seems it can be much warmer that that. I read on the internet, some lady wished she had brought her sandals. Does anyone have a packing list or some idea of what I can expect and plan for? Any information about weather at all would be amesome. Thanks so much! -Laura.

We hiked from Florence to Siena in March over 5 days. Weather ranged from cool to warm, never cold. I wore my hiking pants, a t shirt, a fleece which I took on or off as needed and had a windbreaker/rain jacket which could be added as an extra layer. In Florence and Siena, I wore a light sweater, black dress pants, and my leather jacket. Definitely not cold enough for gloves or a heavy coat.

Hi there~~I've been to Italy 4 times, just recently with Carnival's Grand Mediterranean Cruise 10.01.08. My favorite times of the year to go to Italy are mid-to-late March/early April and (more so) in October.

Remember, your itinerary is taking you north to south, so the weather in March will vary GREATLY, depending on where you are!

Venice, Assisi, Florence, etc, etc...towns in the Veneto, Umbria and Tuscano regions will be much cooler than those in Lazio (Rome) and Campania (Sorrento, Capri, Positano, Pompeii) but you will not need a winter coat!

Venice will likely be your coolest spot, probably a bit "damp," but that could change if the sun breaks through (as it is likely to do in March). Think upper-50's F on a good day, mid-40's F on the worst day! Ditto for Assisi, Florence, etc.

DH & I visited Rome once around St. Patrick's day and I was sweltering in a turtle neck sweater by day...needed a wool cardigan over the turtle neck by night. The temps will drop a bit ny night but a nice sweater or lightweight jacket should do the trick.

Pompeii will likely be your warmest spot and there is LOTS of walking involved to see the ruins. Unless you hit an unusually warm spell, I don't think you'll need shorts...maybe light capris or lightweight pants and a t-shirt by day...a cardigan top or heavier pullover by night!

If you pack cotton slacks, a pair of shorts (just in case), some medium weight tops, some blouses/shirts, a few t-shirts, etc etc and a nice sweater or two, perhaps a lightweight jacket, a shawl or a sweatshirt (depending on your style and what you are planning to do), then I think you'll be fine.

And remember, there's always the chance of Aqua Alta in Venice in the springtime (more so in the winter)!

http://www.venicebeadjewelry.com/pages/PigeonsAcquaAlta.htm

Have fun!

Toni Lee

I would add one additional piece of info that would apply to those that like to wear jeans. On our past few trips to Italy (in the past year) we have noticed that the Italians (and many tourists) have adopted jeans as normal dress. You will see many many folks simply wearing jeans with sneakers or sandals. On our most recent trip to Italy (just returned yesterday) we wore jeans in Rome (and elsewhere) and felt comfortably in the majority. Capris (for men and ladies) are also very acceptable.

Hank

A hunky Italian guy in some linen capris is nothing to scoff at. ;)

Oh, an Italian guy you say~! That's completely different! I was picturing some American nerd in denim capris!!

Cruisemom, in case I don't get another chance, thanks so much for all your invaluable advice!! We leave Tuesday (YIKES!) and I have a veritable book of cruise critic postings that I've printed out. I will try to do a review when we return and will be thinking of you when we are in Cinque Terre!

Ciao!

Cathy

Oh, an Italian guy you say~! That's completely different! I was picturing some American nerd in denim capris!!

Cruisemom, in case I don't get another chance, thanks so much for all your invaluable advice!! We leave Tuesday (YIKES!) and I have a veritable book of cruise critic postings that I've printed out. I will try to do a review when we return and will be thinking of you when we are in Cinque Terre!

Ciao!

Cathy

Have a fantastic trip. I look forward to hearing about it and picking your brains in return, as I will be getting ready for my trip soon (but not soon enough!).

Archived