Best oceanview cabin Ms. Veendam -- need your opinion

jt58203

Hi Gang,

One possibility for my next cruise is a Western Caribbean Itinerary on Ms. Veendam. In your opinion(s), which oceanview room would you pick? Would get a verandah if prices drop another $200+ per person :), but for now, what room category/location would you go for?

Mid-ship on Main Deck. It's low and center in case of rough seas. You have a lovely view of the water since your window is directly on the outside of the ship (as opposed to the Lower Promenade Deck). There's passenger cabins above and below, so there's little noise to bother you. It's a quick flight up one deck to the great outdoors.

It's the Veendam---an S-class ship---so it's a short walk to anywhere. :D

We had 421 on the Lower Promenade in Alaska and loved it, but Ruth may be right that for a Caribbean cruise, Main Deck would be better (for the reasons she gives). May depend on whether you prefer to do your deck-chair sitting in the sun up by the pool, or in the peace, quiet, and shade of the walkaround deck.

What we liked about 421:

• All the way aft, so very little noise from passers-by, and super easy to get to the dining room
  • Convenient access to the walk-around deck - just out the cabin door, take a right, and the outside door is right there - we could get outside almost as fast as you could in a veranda cabin, and the "veranda" was a lot bigger:D , though not private
  • Aft-facing view (which you COULD see, despite the intervening deck)
  • Slightly wider than most cabins in this class, so maneuvering around the sides of the bed was a bit easier (but - it is also slightly shorter)

On the other hand, it did seem like we were always the last cabin in our room steward's area to get serviced. Of course, someone has to be last, and he did a good job once he got there, so I'm not complaining, but just thought you'd want to be aware. And not all stewards in that area will necessarily proceed in the same order through their assigned cabins, of course.

Have a great time, whatever cabin you choose!

I was in 542 last April & LOVED it! It's on main deck, and close to both the elevators and the escalator up to the lower promenade. I would never want to be on the lower promenade deck - from my window I want to see OCEAN...not chairs, a deck & a railing with some ocean beyond that!

My next cruise is on a vista class ship, so we went with an SY - balcony and more space. When I cruise solo though, I go with the ocean view for the lower single supplement.

Sue/WDW1972

Westerdam 2/8/09

It probably doesn't make all that much difference unless you are prone to motion sickness.

We actually had cabin 501, way back in the day (probably in February of 1999) and it was larger - very far forward - but really enjoyed the extra room.

We book either a "D" Cabin on Main Deck or an "E" Cabin on Dolphin (Deck A), always mid-ship...Would not like the Lower Prominade, as we enjoy looking at the ocean, not people walking by our cabin..

In Aug. this year we had "E746" on the Veendam & it was great..Our Cabin Steward "Edward" was one of the best we've ever had on HAL..

Cheers..Betty

We are in 348 Lower Prom. midship next week on the Veendam. we have had an HH several times on this class of ship. I like that the deck is right outside, but agree with Ruth C about the main deck outsides...maybe we will try that Cat. next time!

Enjoy choosing!

Karen

We are in 348 Lower Prom. midship next week on the Veendam. we have had an HH several times on this class of ship. I like that the deck is right outside, but agree with Ruth C about the main deck outsides...maybe we will try that Cat. next time!

Enjoy choosing!

Karen

I also like the HH cabins - I have one on the Amsterdam in May. I certainly can understand why many people don't like the promenade outside their windows. On the Veendam, I was "upgraded" to an F on the A deck - the windows were so salty that I really couldn't see anything except water outside the window.

I changed to an HH cabin (396) on lower promenade for my Veendam Alaska cruise when prices dropped. I LOVED the location! Even though it said it was fully obstructed, we had a good view from the window at a slight angle. The cabin was just 4 doors away from the outside doors to the deck, and I often walked outside to get to my cabin, rather than down the inside hallway. It was also a few quick flights up the aft stairs to the dining room.

I've been on the Veendam twice. The first time I got an E category on the Main deck - port side near the stern. I liked it so much, the next time I requested one in the same spot.

It is far enough down that I never felt a whole lot of movement and I really liked that there was a little "private balcony" on the stern.

Also, being close to the stairs and elevator, it was a short trip to get to the Lower Promenade deck, dining room and Lido. The faster I can get to the food, the better! :D

Does anyone have a picture of an HH cabin? One where I can see what kind of view there is looking out of the window from the inside? Thank you.

I found these on cruise deck plans site:

Thank you!

No, those don't depict the HH view. The one on the right is a porthole - nothing like most of the oceanview cabins. The one on the left is what a standard oceanview cabin looks like - but you don't see the ocean from an HH cabin (well, very little ocean). Outside the window is the promenade - about 10 feet wide. Beyond that you have railings, which don't obstruct the view. What you see mostly from an HH obstructed cabin is the superstructure of the ship, usually a metal panel.

I personally like the activity on the promenade - and I get an outside cabin for an inside price.

DH and I had an Oceanview cabin on the Main Deck and it was convenient to be sure. We were a few steps from where the gangway was typically set up and could go up one flight quickly for Life Boat drill and to walk the Promenade Deck.

It was a nice cabin however it was not totally free from noise from those walking on the Promenade Deck or when the crew would set up or move lounge chairs. It wasn't annoying but I'm a light sleeper so I did notice some noise.

Have also had a Balcony on the Veendam and it was great too. We would do a main deck cabin again but I think I would choose the cabin instead of go with a Guarantee which is what we did this May.

No, those don't depict the HH view. The one on the right is a porthole - nothing like most of the oceanview cabins. The one on the left is what a standard oceanview cabin looks like - but you don't see the ocean from an HH cabin (well, very little ocean). Outside the window is the promenade - about 10 feet wide. Beyond that you have railings, which don't obstruct the view. What you see mostly from an HH obstructed cabin is the superstructure of the ship, usually a metal panel.

I personally like the activity on the promenade - and I get an outside cabin for an inside price.

Sounds good. I mainly want to get a cabin with a window so I can get a sense of the passing of time. We had an inside cabin last time, and I learned I didn't like the experience. Thank you for the details.

Sounds good. I mainly want to get a cabin with a window so I can get a sense of the passing of time. We had an inside cabin last time, and I learned I didn't like the experience. Thank you for the details.

The HH cabins offer a much better view than the obstructed oceanviews I've had on other ships where the lifeboat is right in front of the window.

Archived