Drink Coupons,,,the good,,,the bad

CruiznWithHubby

DH and I will be on the Inspiration on November 3,,,,I am a drinker (but not a drunk) and he is not,,,if he has had 3 beers in the 25 years we've been married, I would be surprised,,,

nonetheless, he says he expects to drink a few on board (I'll believe it when I see it)

I expect to drink roughly 3 fru fru drinks per day (especially sea days),,,,he may have 2,,,about 17 drinks,,maybe 20.

We would love to buy drink coupons because it appears to save a few bucks, and would like to order them tomorrow,,,

I have questions about them, however,,,

If I don't use them all, can I use them on a different Carnival cruise? Do they have an expiration? Or is it just "lost"?? If it's lost, I may simply order fewer, as I may not drink as much as I think I'll drink,,,and if I end up buying a few at full price, then them's the breaks,,

Did you like using the drink coupons? What's good about them,,,,bad about them??? Any thoughts?

Holly

The drinks coupons are only for face value, whatever that is today. They do not save you any money. If a foo foo drink costs $6 and the face value of the coupon is $4.95, you will be expected to cover the difference with you S&S card.

Haveing said that, I still buy coupons. It's just easier to pull out a coupon than it is to carry around a bunch of receipts that I end up throwing away anyway.

Regarding left over coupons. No, they cannot be used for a follow up cruise a year away. I end up using mine on the last night to get a real good bottle of wine for dinner.

If you're drinking beers you'll probably come out short or maybe break even. Anything much more than beers and you're likely to come out even or short; that's because the servers are supposed to ask for your S&S card if drink exceeds the coupon - some do, some don't. We used them once and decided that they weren't worth keeping trrack of and still having to drag out the S&S card. ken

Hey guys, thanks,,,I'm thinking now it's not worth it,,,for some reason I thought it saved money,,,sounds like more of a pain in the neck and simply a way to pre-pay for some of your drinks,,,since it's not the pre-payment I care about, but making Mr. Cheapskate happy (:D ), it sounds just as easy to pay for them as I go,,,

Holly

I don't see the point of the drink coupons... unless somebody buys the for you for a gift!!

What am I missing.... somebody enlighten me, maybe??

Not sure I see the point anymore either:D I thought they were pre-paid in full,,,and at 4 for less than 22 bucks, that's not a bad deal,,,

turns out they're not,,,,doesn't make much sense then, unless they're a gift or something,,,,,,Holly

You normally save about a buck if you catch the right bar tender. If you dont use them all, you can use them on the next cruise. I have not had any problems doing this.

Dave

So true. Every time I've used the tickets, I have always lucked up with the right bartender. Once I find that person, I tend to stick with them the whole cruise. I've gotten drinks for more than the ticket and was only asked for the difference once. That was in the dining room when I ordered a glass of wine.

We buy drink coupons before each cruise because 1. we like paying for them beforehand - it lowers our s and s card bill at the end of the cruise 2. we just use them the next cruise if we don't use them all up - no problem ever - they just carry over - no expiration date 3. We have never been asked to make up the difference of the drink/coupon price - just hand the waiter/bartender a coupon, and that is it.

We odn't find them inconvenient at all - they are a tiny piece of paper - just slip it in a pocket, and whip them out when needed.

We buy drink coupons to pre pay our bar bill only. Since I only drink frozen foo foo drinks its worth it for me. I have not ever paid OOP for any drink using the coupons.

They are good for your next cruise--even if they raised the prices.

Best deal I got was when I got the coupons for our first cruise in 2000 when they were 4 for 15 bucks--- and had way too many left over-- Used them for a few cruises afterwards-- when coupons were 4 for 19.95 I then bought many more then--- and now look they cost 4 for 22 so I eventually saved money.

Sooo, if you cruise carnival a few times--its well worth it

i've never heard of "drink coupons", also a first time carnival cruiser. i am interested in getting some, how and where?

thank you in advance.

OK, DH and I have decided to get 8 or 12 coupons, just to try them and see if we like them,,,prepaying for some of our drinking might be nice,,,

after you book your cruise, go to gifts and services (you can search it in the upper right hand corner) and you'll find them,,,,

Holly

Archived