formal nights in Europe

edpeeks

Although we have been on Splendour of the Seas in Europe twice I have question about the Brilliance in February '09. My best friend declares he is not going to take a suit and if he doesn't I do not want to.

I know on Carnival the dress has become relaxed. With the charges for luggage on airlines what they are I would like to not take a suit. I would dress in a very nice dress shirt and pants.

Please give me your experiences and opinions since in over 20 cruises I have always worn a suit on formal nights and I am torn (even though I remember some very non-formal attire on the Splendour).

We've just come back from a Med cruise on the Navigator. Although all the RCI information said that there were two formal nights, in fact there were three. Lucky for me I had tossed in another outfit because I couldn't decide which one to wear. Mostly, passengers were dressed the same as any other cruise on formal night but I did notice a lot more tuxes. I think a lot of me chose not to pack a suit and to have the tux delivered to the cabin.

2P.P1

We just returned and my DH and the other two men in our group rented tuxedos for the 3 formal nights. It was great to not have to pack suits. I think I saw more men in tuxedos on this cruise than I have in years, my guess is a lot of men made the same choice to rent.

I know on Carnival the dress has become relaxed. With the charges for luggage on airlines what they are I would like to not take a suit. I would dress in a very nice dress shirt and pants.
This shouldn't be a problem - For transatlantic flights, including the domestic portions, most airlines allow you to check two 50lb suitcases per person without a charge.

We were on the Jewel back in June and there were 3 formal nights (12 night cruise to Scandinavia/Russia). Everyone dressed up for the formal evenings ie., tux for the men, long evening dress for the women - or in my husband's case his formal kilt. Infact, I can't recall seeing anyone who wasn't dressed up, so much so that a few of us commented that it was much more formal than the caribbean cruises we had been on.

Best wishes

Judi

This shouldn't be a problem - For transatlantic flights, including the domestic portions, most airlines allow you to check two 50lb suitcases per person without a charge.

No it won't be a problem from the "suggested dress code" point of view. But IMO you will stand out. I don't recall seeing a single gentleman who didn't at least have a sport coat on.

2P.P1

Although we have been on Splendour of the Seas in Europe twice I have question about the Brilliance in February '09. My best friend declares he is not going to take a suit and if he doesn't I do not want to.

Afraid you will stick out like the preverbial.....on cruise last week I would say 40% in tux and everyone else in a suit on both the formal nights. As the cruise leaves from Spain you will find that the Spanish seem to get very dressed up even on the 'smart casual' nights. It is nice to see.

We were on the Jewel back in June and there were 3 formal nights (12 night cruise to Scandinavia/Russia). Everyone dressed up for the formal evenings ie., tux for the men, long evening dress for the women - or in my husband's case his formal kilt. Infact, I can't recall seeing anyone who wasn't dressed up, so much so that a few of us commented that it was much more formal than the caribbean cruises we had been on.

Best wishes

Judi

We are sailing on Brilliance of the Seas next year. This will be our first cruise and I have bought a kilt for my husband (my bribe to persuade him to cruise). My question is how best to pack a kilt? Should he roll it and pack in suitcase?

Cruises in the Med, Baltic, and Transatlantics seem to attract older people who have more time to travel....and YES, they all tend to wear either a TUX or Sport Coat. I would say at least 60-70% wear a tux. It is rare to see someone walking around on formal night without being formally dressed.

It's very easy to rent a Tux onboard and avoid packing a sport coat. Perhaps you could consider that as an option?

No it won't be a problem from the "suggested dress code" point of view. But IMO you will stand out. I don't recall seeing a single gentleman who didn't at least have a sport coat on.

2P.P1

Actually my point was that taking a suit won't be a problem for the OP since the new baggage charges don't apply to transatlantic flights. He will be allowed the old standard allowance of two bags, 50 lbs each.

We are sailing on Brilliance of the Seas next year. This will be our first cruise and I have bought a kilt for my husband (my bribe to persuade him to cruise). My question is how best to pack a kilt? Should he roll it and pack in suitcase?

When we first travelled with the kilt I used to roll it making sure none of the pleats were crushed. However, on the internet I found a company who do a kilt roll - it was about £20-£25 with package and comes with instructions on how to use it. Can't remember which company but google "kilt roll" and you'll find it.

Best wishes

Judi

We just returned from a twelve night Italian cruise on the Brilliance. There were three formal nights and I don't recall anyone in the dining room that wasn't dressed up on the first two. We decided not to participate on the third formal night and instead had a nice, casual, relaxing dinner in the Windjammer instead. There were several items served there that were on the dining room menu. We also had signed up for My Time Dining and it really worked out very well for us especially since this was a very port intensive cruise.

Aubie

When we first travelled with the kilt I used to roll it making sure none of the pleats were crushed. However, on the internet I found a company who do a kilt roll - it was about £20-£25 with package and comes with instructions on how to use it. Can't remember which company but google "kilt roll" and you'll find it.

Best wishes

Judi

Thanks Judi,

I've found one on the internet and a garment bag for whole outfit for when hubby's hanging the kilt.

Mary

Archived