Is HAL for us?

chasintrail

I'm in the early stages of planning an alaskan cruise for my father and I. A bit of a bittersweet experience. See, we lost my mother in May. Dad has been wanting to go on the Alaskan cruise for many years, but Mom was on dialysis, and while there are dialysis cruises, planning them is not an easy task. So while discussing life in general this summer, we decided that we should take the cruise together.

This will be my first cruise. It will be my father's 3rd. His first was a Hawaiian island cruise on my parent's 25 anniversary where they renewed their vows. 2nd was a 3-day carribean with my brother. Neither of us (me-early 40s, dad-early 70s) is a party person. The idea of a hairy legs contest gives me the willies. But neither are we "formal" people. Don't get me wrong, I own plenty of formal wear and have been know to wear makeup. (I'm not trying to start a war, we are more than willing to eat in the Lido or in our cabin on formal nights. Heck, I may even bring a great dress I haven't had the opportunity to wear yet and attend one by myself. I can guarantee that getting dad into a tux is not happening!)

Reading around on the boards, I'm seriously leaning toward a HAL cruise. They sound very relaxing, I love the idea of a small ship vs a floating mall. I also love the idea of an elegant atmosphere and top-notch service. HAL also has the 14-day RT from Vancouver that I like.

I guess my main concern is that I want to make this trip special for both of us and may be overlooking a flaw in HAL, or discounting another line that would fit us just as well. We're very laid-back, like to sit around with a cup of coffee and a book, people watch, hike, and just be.

Anyone that has done Alaska, on different lines, please I'd like your input.

thanks!

I've been on HAL and Princess to Alaska. Went 2 consecutive years in my mid-40s, HAL, then Princess, with my best friend. Hands down, we found HAL to be the superior "fit" for us, as we wanted peace, calm, relaxation. We wanted to "just be" (I love that term -- can I use it???) We found the pax to be more interesting on HAL. A more refined atmosphere.

My now-DH has only heard some of the stories of the Princess cruise, and has never experienced a Princess cruise for himself. He swears, based just on my stories, that he'll never set foot on a Princess ship. I'm working on changing that, but no success yet :D

I find the pax on HAL to be "simpatico", and I can't say that about many that I met on my one and only cruise on Princess. I'm certain that not all Princess pax were like the ones my best friend and I encountered, but still . . . when I invited my best friend to join DH & I on our next cruise, her first question was "It'll be Holland America, won't it?"

CowPrincess - you are more than welcome to use the phrase "just be" ;> I'm sure I can't claim it myself, I had to have read it somewhere.

Princess was one of the lines that I'm considering (their main drawback is that I'm not impressed with their web site!). Thank you for your input.

BTW - love the name, are you a horse person? Mine actually comes from my mare's name and my love of trail riding.

I'm in the early stages of planning an alaskan cruise for my father and I. A bit of a bittersweet experience. See, we lost my mother in May. Dad has been wanting to go on the Alaskan cruise for many years, but Mom was on dialysis, and while there are dialysis cruises, planning them is not an easy task. So while discussing life in general this summer, we decided that we should take the cruise together.

This will be my first cruise. It will be my father's 3rd. His first was a Hawaiian island cruise on my parent's 25 anniversary where they renewed their vows. 2nd was a 3-day carribean with my brother. Neither of us (me-early 40s, dad-early 70s) is a party person. The idea of a hairy legs contest gives me the willies. But neither are we "formal" people. Don't get me wrong, I own plenty of formal wear and have been know to wear makeup. (I'm not trying to start a war, we are more than willing to eat in the Lido or in our cabin on formal nights. Heck, I may even bring a great dress I haven't had the opportunity to wear yet and attend one by myself. I can guarantee that getting dad into a tux is not happening!)

Reading around on the boards, I'm seriously leaning toward a HAL cruise. They sound very relaxing, I love the idea of a small ship vs a floating mall. I also love the idea of an elegant atmosphere and top-notch service. HAL also has the 14-day RT from Vancouver that I like.

I guess my main concern is that I want to make this trip special for both of us and may be overlooking a flaw in HAL, or discounting another line that would fit us just as well. We're very laid-back, like to sit around with a cup of coffee and a book, people watch, hike, and just be.

thanks!

I have never been on an Alaskan cruise but have travelled on several different cruise lines in the Caribbean and we always return to HAL.

I suspect you would be more than happy with your experience. I must say how sorry I am to hear of your loss of your Mom. My Mum is a dialysis patient as well and I can only imagine how difficult the past while has been for you and your family. I hope you have a wonderful trip and perhaps are able to relax and maybe forget, just for a moment, what you have been through.

Suzanne

I think you and your dad would be pleased with Holland America. Their mid-size ships allow a more intimate cruise experience than the behemoth vessels. All ships across all lines will offer many of the same features and amenities. But where HAL shines, IMO, is with their crews. They are outstanding.

It's great that you are planning this trip. Go and enjoy it to the fullest.

Don't worry about getting Dad into a tux. On an AK cruise there will only be about 40% tuxes, 40% dark suits, and 20% assorted, some of which are a real stretch of "formal"! IMO, early dining is the less formal. :)

So sorry to hear of your loss. I vote for a HAL cruise for sure. Enjoy your dad and encourage him to bring a sports coat, which will work just fine for formal night. Oh how I wish I could have taken a cruise like this with my own dear dad who passed a couple of years ago. Go and don't worry about formal night. Just enjoy him while you have him.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss but am glad you and your father are finding a positive way to think of the future!

First an admission, I've sailed to Alaska (once) and sailed on HAL (4 times) but have not sailed to Alaska on HAL.

It sounds like HAL might fit you just fine. Alaska cruises are often more casual than voyages to other destinations and attract many first time and only time cruises (in response to not wanting to dress up). Also, since sightseeing is a major activity (vs. drinking and tanning on the beach in warmer areas) you will likely see a calmer fellow passenger. Still, you just never know when you will bump into "annoying people" but that can happen on land just as while at sea.

If you are looking for the smaller ship feel (a good choice, I think) you might want to consider, at least briefly, the Pacific Princess (Princess cruise line) for next summer. She is sailing 14 night trips out of Seattle. Unlike the HAL cruises which are twin 7-day trips than can be (and often are) combined into a single 14 day trip, the Pacific Princess trip is 14 days only with a larger variety of unrepeated ports. You might get a slightly quieter, older, more relaxed (but also slightly more formally dressed) demographic on the 14 day trip. I have not sailed on the Pacific Princess, so I cannot comment on the details, but it might be worth considering.

Some advantages to HAL:

There are repeat ports that you might want to see twice (especially Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier).

There are some ports that you might miss or not see much of if the weather is bad (especially Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier) and returning a few days later might lead to better weather.

Spending time in the Inside Passage to and from Vancouver instead of traversing the west side of Vancouver Island to and from Seattle (the Inside Passage is more scenic and far less likely to be rough).

Generally a slightly higher level of quality in service and food along with a more refined atmosphere.

Larger cabins, more open deck space (especially good for Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier).

(Can you tell the places that impressed me the most when I visited Alaska? I had a good time in Juneau as well, btw.)

The interiors of the Pacific Princess are supposed to look very much like an English country home. The interiors of most HAL ships feel, well, Dutch (darker but with a wide variety of bright colors used for decoration).

If you are looking for time together, a relaxing trip, and good scenery, I expect either would work well for you. I also suggest fixed dining over anytime dining, but that is just me.

There is also Celebrity, but you would likely be on the Millennium, which is about 60% bigger than the HAL ships you seem to be considering (Statendam, Veendam, or Ryndam) and nearly 3 times the size of the Pacific Princess. I've only been on one Celebrity cruise, and it felt much like staying in a chain motel (generic, little personality, bland) and there were more verbal sales pushes for extra revenue than HAL (I hear Princess does that too, however). HAL does often try to sell you things, but more often via printed ads in your cabin mailbox rather than verbal pitches. But, many people like Celebrity as much as or more than HAL. It just depends on the person.

Also, there are often some luxury lines in Alaska, but you would need to shell out much bigger bucks for those. There might be some very small ships lines as well, but I don't have any experience with them to share.

I would guess that NCL would not be a good choice (bigger ships, less relaxed, etc.).

If your gut feeling so far has been to go with HAL, then I would stick with what your gut tells you and book with HAL. Following your instinct is often a smart choice when you are looking for a good fit personality wise. Oh and if you don't go to Alaska at all, your regrets for skipping the trip will likely far outweigh any issues you experience on your trip.

I hope this free advice is worth more than what you paid for it!

My late mother was also a dialysis patient and faced the very limited options of travel. I have a feeling this trip will leave very special memories for you and your father. We love HAL for all the things you seem to be looking for. Their service is wonderful and friendly, the atmosphere refined and elegant, the activities are varied enough to please almost anyone and the food is great.

I would not worry about the formal nights because you seem perfectly willing to adapt your plans and as has been stated the Alaska cruises seem to be a little more relaxed and casual. We have also cruised on the Celebrity Millennium and think it might be a great fit as well. Even though it is a bigger ship, we never felt crowded.

Good luck with your plans and I hope you have a wonderful cruise with your dad.

Kim

thanks!

I think as you describe your needs, HAL would be the better fit for you and Dad.

HAL is certainly an excellent fit for Alaska due to all their ships have a complete 360 degree promenade deck and vast outdoor areas both forward and aft for excellent viewing of passing scenery.

Whichever you choose, I'm sure travelling with Dad will be a special occasion. HAL has the ambiance to enhance that occasion.

Thank you everyone. The responses have confirmed my initial impression of HAL.

Since we probably won't sail until 2010 I will keep options open. But will continue to concentrate on HAL voyages. And maybe start planning on Hawai'i in 2011. Does anyone know if it's possible to sail to Hawai'i, stay a week and sail back? Obviously academic at this point, but I'd love to use the timeshare in combination with a cruise. Yep, I haven't set foot on a ship yet, and I'm already hooked ;)

Again, thank everyone for your input and I'm sure I'll be back asking all the stupid newbie questions!

Does anyone know if it's possible to sail to Hawai'i, stay a week and sail back?

The Passenger Services Act prohibits a cruise ship from boarding passengers in any US port and disembarking them in Hawaii. You would have to do a one-way trip.

You couldn't do it on HAL, as they don't have the one-ways. I suppose it would be possible to take one of the two cruises a year that begin or end in Vancouver and disembark/board in Hawaii.

I believe there are some cruise lines that do one-way cruises to Hawaii; those would normally begin/end in Ensenada.

We'd like to do 2009. It may end up that way, but until the end of the year I can't make the commitment becuase of a few things going on at work. If things work out the way I hope, then we'll be looking a short term deals :)

Other than that, we have a week long road trip planned for just after Christmas. I'm also thinking of suggesting a late winter/early spring 4 day (or sor) cruise out of Tampa (easy since he's in Largo).

I was afraid of that on the Hawai'i cruise. May be nice to do the RT some day anyway.

Archived