Western Carib = Will I be disappointed?

Hi All, My husband and I are looking at our next cruise and thinking of the Voyager in Feb going to Western Carib including Roatan, Cozumel, Costa Maya, etc. Another option that would do instead Jamaica and Grand Caymen plus Cozumel I think. (we have been to GC and Jam)

Typically when I think of Carib I think of St Thomas, St Martin, Turks & Caicos, Antigua, etc, even GC and Jamaica. We like white sandy beaches, crystal blue water, and snorkeling. We dont care about shopping or sitting at a bar. I'm not sure I even care about ruins (sorry Mayans I am sure your culture is very interesting) - just want to get away from the cold at home and bake on the beach. I am just wondering if I am going to be disappointed with the stops in Mexico and Honduras....for some reason they dont seen "Caribbean" to me - just from the idea I have in my head. Will I like these stops?

The rest of my travelmates want to try something new but it doesn't seem as "exciting" to me as say going to the Bahamas or St. Martin. KWIM? Tell me I am wrong and they are wonderful stops!!! Thanks!!!:)

(would love to do S. Carib but too expensive right now)

You are on a cruise... how back could it be? :)

Have you looked at Eastern routes? Ours visits St. Maarten, St. Thomas, San Juan & Labadee... 3 of which sound like your cup of tea.

You could always stay onboard and just enjoy the empty ship.

Might check that S Carib itinerary again. Serenade has some balcony guarantees at $699 in December. But you do have to consider airfare.

No you won't be bored. I've been to Cozumel and Belize and enjoyed both. Look up Major Tom in Belize if you go there.

There are other stops they do on the western routes as well. Just snoop the RC website and ask about the routes you are interested in here on the boards.

Yes, we've done the eastern route twice and I think others I am traveling with are anxious for something new. I love St Maarten and would go there again but my husband and I are tired of Puerto Rico and we have been to St. Thomas twice already.

Actually my perfect itinerary of the places I have visited so far would include St. John, St. Maarten, Half Moon Cay (Carnivals pvt isle), and Turks & Caicos!:D I wouldn't mind doing any of them again.

Any one else have thoughts on the Western Carib? Is there good snorkeling?

Well guess what!

You will, after your western Caribbean cruise, look back an laugh!

Did you know.....

Roatan is the 3rd best dive and snorkel locale in the entire world? There are 56 different and distinct dive/snorkel locations? You have hit the jackpot!

Cozumel. Remember Jacque Cousteau??? He is the guy who alerted the whole world to the spectacular snorkeling and diving off Cozumel!

Drift snorkel off the Pelicar Reef will knock your socks off!!!!!

Costa Maya? Making a comeback after the hurricane..go for it!!!!!!!

By comparision, after snorkeling in the Western Caribbean will make you think snorkeling in the Eastern Caribbean is like wearing a mask and fins in your bathtub.

I agree--Mexico holds no allure for me, either! The beaches, sun and swaying palms are what I'm looking for! Just do the Eastern route again, if that's the scenary you're looking for!

I don't give a whit about ruins, or churches, or the history of the place...it's the beach that I love!

I agree--Mexico holds no allure for me, either! The beaches, sun and swaying palms are what I'm looking for! Just do the Eastern route again, if that's the scenary you're looking for!

I don't give a whit about ruins, or churches, or the history of the place...it's the beach that I love!

As Hamlet says: " There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.":)

It obviously will come as a surprise to you, but Mexico and ports of call in the western Caribbean have beaches that will rival many that you will find on the Eastern route. Fortunately most cruisers are a bit more open-minded about new or different itineraries and don't arbitrarily dismiss the value of historic ruins, churches or consider them to be unworthy of their attention.:rolleyes: Travel is supposed to broaden the mind and being open to new experiences is the trademark of a seasoned traveler. Try it sometime, you might actually find that you like it, or at least be a little less quick to dismiss things that don't fit in with your views.:rolleyes:

As Hamlet says: " There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.":)

It obviously will come as a surprise to you, but Mexico and ports of call in the western Caribbean have beaches that will rival many that you will find on the Eastern route. Fortunately most cruisers are a bit more open-minded about new or different itineraries and don't arbitrarily dismiss the value of historic ruins, churches or consider them to be unworthy of their attention.:rolleyes: Travel is supposed to broaden the mind and being open to new experiences is the trademark of a seasoned traveler. Try it sometime, you might actually find that you like it, or at least be a little less quick to dismiss things that don't fit in with your views.:rolleyes:

Well say.

judi :)

Cozumel. Remember Jacque Cousteau??? He is the guy who alerted the whole world to the spectacular snorkeling and diving off Cozumel!

Drift snorkel off the Pelicar Reef will knock your socks off!!!!!

You mean Palancar Reef

All the ports on a Western cruise will have beaches to visit, so you won't be disappointed unless it is by your own choice.

Personally, I prefer the Western as opposed to the Eastern. The first time we docked at St. Thomas there had to be 8 ships in port that day and the streets and stores were packed. I've never seen water bluer than I've seen in Cozumel and Cancun. Give it a shot, you won't be disappointed!!

I stand corrected!

Can i get away with claiming it was a typo? LOL

absolutely. :D

I wasn't trying to be a smarta$$, just trying to be accurate in case someone was actually looking take a boat trip to snorkel at that particular reef. Actually, a great choice would be to go to Playa Palancar for the beach club then do the boat snorkel trip they offer that takes you to the nearby Palancar Reef. That way the person could do both the beach thing and the good snorkeling thing.

absolutely. :D

I wasn't trying to be a smarta$$, just trying to be accurate in case someone was actually looking take a boat trip to snorkel at that particular reef. Actually, a great choice would be to go to Playa Palancar for the beach club then do the boat snorkel trip they offer that takes you to the nearby Palancar Reef. That way the person could do both the beach thing and the good snorkeling thing.

That was our favorite trip while on Liberty! Teens had a great time with the snorkeling and the boat trip alone was worth it! We have snorkeled many times in the eastern caribbean and cozumel was wonderful! enjoy!

Hi All, My husband and I are looking at our next cruise and thinking of the Voyager in Feb going to Western Carib including Roatan, Cozumel, Costa Maya, etc. Another option that would do instead Jamaica and Grand Caymen plus Cozumel I think. (we have been to GC and Jam)

Typically when I think of Carib I think of St Thomas, St Martin, Turks & Caicos, Antigua, etc, even GC and Jamaica. We like white sandy beaches, crystal blue water, and snorkeling. We dont care about shopping or sitting at a bar. I'm not sure I even care about ruins (sorry Mayans I am sure your culture is very interesting) - just want to get away from the cold at home and bake on the beach. I am just wondering if I am going to be disappointed with the stops in Mexico and Honduras....for some reason they dont seen "Caribbean" to me - just from the idea I have in my head. Will I like these stops?

The rest of my travelmates want to try something new but it doesn't seem as "exciting" to me as say going to the Bahamas or St. Martin. KWIM? Tell me I am wrong and they are wonderful stops!!! Thanks!!!:)

I have done the Eastern and Western and my favorite port of all was Costa Maya. Now, things may have changed in Mahahual since the hurricane. But there was nothing like that beach in that fishing village with sit down restaurants right on the beach and beach massages and just a great beach. I have never been to Rotaan and I Cozumel is just okay. But at least you're not going to ochos rios and freeport. Your itinerary is pretty good.

You it a oe run with your recommendation!

That one is a winner!

And yes, I blame everything on typos!...When I forget to stop at the store for my wife....typo

When I forget to pull something out fo the freezer for dinner....typo

Anything I say wrong...typo.

It seems to work, she rolls her eyes, shakes her head and mumbles..that means she believes me right?

Beaches at G C and Cozumel were great. We did beach day at Playa Mia and had drinks all day great beach chair and the snorkeling there was actually better off the beach than on 2 prior paid excursions on the eastern route. Lots of people mention paradise beach - is that really nice too ?

Love, love, love the beaches in the Western Caribbean! Roatan (Honduras) was awesome! Cozumel has beaches galore! Grand Cayman -- whoo hoo! Even Jamaica -- went to a great beach in Montego Bay!

I am a beach and snorkel person and I love all parts of the Caribbean! (Going to the Southern Caribbean for the second time in April!).

Just do your research in the ports boards here -- whichever places you end up going to -- to find recommendations for the kind of beach you want.

If you are looking for a beautiful beach; go to Roatan! We hired a driver for the day and had her take us to the Mayan Princess Resort. You pay $10pp and have use of their facilities for the day. Out of 8 cruises, I have to say this was the prettiest place we have visited. The resort itself has a gorgeous freeformed pool, it's huge and has loungers everywhere.

The beach has white sand and the water was absolutely as clear as bathwater. I normally don't get in the ocean but it was so pretty that I couldn't pass on it.

If you want a beautiful place to go in Cozumel, try Nachi Cocum. It's all inclusive, $49 adults, great food and drinks, padded loungers w/palapas for shade. They wait on you hand and foot! You also can take a snorkel tuor from there. I'm thinking it was $20 pp.

I've done both Eastern and Western, but Western is definitely my favorite, and I am a true beach bum and very picky about beaches!

But like others have said...you are going on a cruise; how bad could it be? ;)

It sounds like you like to do the same things I do when I cruise and I have never been disappointed in these stops. :)

I have done the Eastern and Western and my favorite port of all was Costa Maya. Now, things may have changed in Mahahual since the hurricane. But there was nothing like that beach in that fishing village with sit down restaurants right on the beach and beach massages and just a great beach. I have never been to Rotaan and I Cozumel is just okay. But at least you're not going to ochos rios and freeport. Your itinerary is pretty good.

We also list Costa Maya as our favorite beach location. We can't wait to go back in January. Hope it hasn't lost too much of its laid back charm.

That's a shame.... Some of the nicest people we have met have been in Mexico. How can you understand what they are about if you don't know what they have come from? I find that people that learn about the local history, etc tend to be a bit more respectful of the land & locals that they are visiting. You might give a historical tour a try sometime... they are truly enlightening and in some places quite humbling. Part of travel is learning about the places you are visiting... Even when we travel within our own state, we learn about the local history. We are spending 9 days in Hawaii in December. While we will be spending a large amount of time on the beaches & snorkeling, knowing the history of those beaches is just as fascinating to us. Oh well - maybe that's just us. :rolleyes:

Archived