NCL For Sale - How would you feel if Carnival bought Star/NCL?

shoreguy

We were just on the Carnival Miracle in October and it was immaculate. Yes, the dining room decor was a little over the top, but that's the fun of Carnival. The food and service were outstanding. The entire staff always had eye contact and huge smiles. We were quite pleased with our very, first cruise. We went with the flow and had a great time.

And, no, it was not "lower" class, whatever that is. DH and I are self-employed professionals. We met many DC judges who were on a group cruise and had booked a lot of the suites. Carnival attracts the gamut. You get large staterooms, great food, good entertainment, fabulous prices, and as far as the rest, whatever you choose to make of it.

I have no opinion, fortunately or unfortunately, about Carnival purchasing NCL. Our next cruise will be on the NCL Spirit in a suite. ;)

Have you seen a Carnival ship lately? They look worn out. We were docked next to one for our ports of call in the Western Caribbean (the no-smoking Carnival ship). It was dirty. They have open bottles of ketchup, etc. on the tables, no concern for cleanliness (and Carnival keeps having problems with people getting sick, and their ships not passing inspections!). I hope they never buy NCL....... They just seem like a lower class of cruise lines/ships.

Pat

Just did a ship inspection on the Carnival Legend: what a nightmere, the ship was not particularly clean, the colors would give anyone a tummy ache and it had to be the tackiest mess I have ever seen. We had lunch at the buffet; fair food I would say and nice sized cabins that need to be redecorated. The dining room is all inside, no windows. I did like the supper club, but $25 for an alternative restaurant compared to NCL; please Carnival stay away!!!!!!!!!!!! NMNita

Nita. In all of the pictures I have seen of the Legend the Truffles dining room has windows in it? Are they just illusionary windows (I don't know the right name, but you know fake windows made up to look like real ones?) I love looking out the window during dinner. That would just be the worst planning if they didn't have windows in the dining room!!

In all honestly I don't believe that Carnival would redecorate the ships or really change much at all. I was just on the Princess Star and it was very very different from any Carnival ship I had been on. I don't necessarily believe that when one company acquires another that they immediately over haul the entire fleet to "blend" in. If that were so then there would be no discerning differences between Carnival and HAL and yet we all know they are two very different products.

Nita. In all of the pictures I have seen of the Legend the Truffles dining room has windows in it? Are they just illusionary windows (I don't know the right name, but you know fake windows made up to look like real ones?) I love looking out the window during dinner. That would just be the worst planning if they didn't have windows in the dining room!!

In all honestly I don't believe that Carnival would redecorate the ships or really change much at all. I was just on the Princess Star and it was very very different from any Carnival ship I had been on. I don't necessarily believe that when one company acquires another that they immediately over haul the entire fleet to "blend" in. If that were so then there would be no discerning differences between Carnival and HAL and yet we all know they are two very different products.

Oh Dosi, I agree with your last statement 100%. I just hate to see Carnival buy up one more line. Monopoly is not my favorite game and Carnival not my favorite line. I was mainly responding to the statement about how wonderful the Miracle was. We all know each line has it's nitch which is the way it should be. Let's just hope no one buys the company and it continues to improve like it has over the past few years. The newer NCL ships are as nice as any on the water in my opinion. NMNIta

It would be an improvement, after my cruise last week on the Wind I will never go on another NCL ship.

Skipper, we don't have a clue as to what problems you encountered but never say never: it can backfire on you. The Wind is not the Sun, nor is the Dawn or Star the Sea. This is the same with all lines. Put Celebrity's older ships up against NCLs newer ships and you would take NCL, put NCL's older ships up against RCI's newer ones and RCI wins. What other ships have you sailed? NMNita

Put Celebrity's older ships up against NCLs newer ships and you would take NCL, put NCL's older ships up against RCI's newer ones and RCI wins. What other ships have you sailed? NMNita

Just a different perspective. I don't completely agree with the above as I sailed RCI's Monarch of the Seas (early '90s build, 2003 refurbishment) just after the Star Princess (2001/2002) and thought that both ships were very comparable. Of course, the Star Princess was bigger, had more amenities, etc., but all in all very similar.

I'll admit I'm one of those "NEVER" people. I've stated I'd never sail Carnival again. It wasn't a bad cruise, just not my thing, style of taste, etc. However, with the Spirit leaving from San Diego and a reported improvement on their food, I'll admit that I'm leaning towards giving Carnival another chance. Maybe a year and a half so that I get a good ten years between my first and second Carnival cruises. :)

I have no problem with Carnival and sailed with them 4 times however, and a big however, Monopoly on the cruise industry would drive up the price. If Carnival didn't have any body else to compete against, you better believe the cost of cruising would go up. Carnival has made it affordable and the other lines have to keep their price down to get their share of all of us. Remember cruising used to be for the wealthy. :eek:

I was truly worried when Carnival acquired Holland/America. I have taken two cruised with Holland America since Carnival took it over. The quality of Holland America has not suffered much to my delightful surprise.

Holland America is without question, the best cruise line out other than the expensive Cunard Line.:o

I was truly worried when Carnival acquired Holland/America. I have taken two cruised with Holland America since Carnival took it over. The quality of Holland America has not suffered much to my delightful surprise.

Holland America is without question, the best cruise line out other than the expensive Cunard Line.:o

bfoot

Please go to the HAL boards. 8 posts all on NCL boards. All in support of HAL, a great cruiseline. You continue to be the only poster to ever cruise the Dawn from New Orleans.

CC is all about enjoying the cruiseline of your choice. If HAL is your choice thats great. Sail away.

bfoot

You request has been answered enjoy:

Holland America will base the new Vista Class

ship, Noordam, in New York City between February and April, 2006. She

will then sail to Europe for the summer and return to NYC to sail

between Oct and December. The NYC based sailings will be 10 & 11-day

cruises. This is Norwegian Cruise Lines' only announced competition

for the NYC regularly-scheduled winter market. NCL will have 2 NYC

based ships in the 2006 winter season, Norwegian Dawn & Norwegian

Spirit.

many of the most recent HAL comments on their own board don't agree with you on this one.

:) When Carnival aquired Holland/America, I was very disappointed because HAL is the best cruise line for me. We avoided HAL for a 4 or 5 years. The last two years we have taken two cruises on HAL. Carnival has left them alone. HAL is still up to its standards of the past! We were delighted to discover that Carnival has left the HAL management alone. Also, it is my understanding, that they have done the same with the Cunard Line. We will find out in February when we go on the QM 2 for a trip in the Caribbean.

bfoot

Please go to the HAL boards. 8 posts all on NCL boards. All in support of HAL, a great cruiseline. You continue to be the only poster to ever cruise the Dawn from New Orleans.

CC is all about enjoying the cruiseline of your choice. If HAL is your choice thats great. Sail away.

Shoreguy, please read my post on my mistake. I posted that I had confused the Dawn for the DReam. It was the Dream we took out of New Orleans last February. It was the week that the Mississippi was blocked by a ship that had hit bottom.

In any case, the experience was bad on the Dream.

Shoreguy, please read my post on my mistake. I posted that I had confused the Dawn for the DReam. It was the Dream we took out of New Orleans last February. It was the week that the Mississippi was blocked by a ship that had hit bottom.

In any case, the experience was bad on the Dream.

Then I understand. I have spent 20 days on the Dream pre-Freestyle. If you want to enjoy the "new" NCL you need to try one of the ships built for Freestyle - Sun, Star, Dawn, Jewel.

bfoot

I did check the HAL boards. A few discontent, but, certainly not any where the number of negatives that show up on NCL. Thanks for the lesson I learned on reading the HAL boards. Proves no one is perfect. However, the degree of discontent should be of concern. I also checked the QM2 boards. I found some negatives with them. Not many, but, some. Guess it is all in the eye of the beholder.

Archived