Looking for a Princess "insider" for a clue about the beds!

Murphey

We REALLY like everything about Princess except the new mattresses. We are going on a Panama Canal cruise in a few days, and I am SO looking forward to everything EXCEPT those beds. We never experienced a problem until they changed their bedding.

Same here, always slept like a baby before they 'upgraded' (?). Now, it's more like Coral's elephant didn't break in the mattress long enough. Please, give my mattress back to the elephant for another month before my next sailing. I hate waking up with horrible back aches from sleeping on a slab. :(

I have a guess! Because CONCRETE lasts for a very long time, where a nice soft bed has a shorter life span. ;) ;)

I personally think they buy them used from zoos where elephants and other large animals break them in first for us.

I couldn't believe on HAL that they used REAL beds - interesting concept.

Too funny!!! Yep.....one of the reasons I am so perplexed is that HAL and Carnival, all under the same umbrella have great beds.

Same here, always slept like a baby before they 'upgraded' (?). Now, it's more like Coral's elephant didn't break in the mattress long enough. Please, give my mattress back to the elephant for another month before my next sailing. I hate waking up with horrible back aches from sleeping on a slab. :(

It is definitely an interesting combination of being hard and also sagging at the same time. Must take a special elephant!

I will be the outsider on this one. I have never had any trouble sleeping in the Princess beds.

We just got off the Emerald and have had 15 cruises on Princess. We both have always slept very well. Find nothing wrong with the beds.

I'll third this opinion. I've been on Princess only 3 times, but I don't find the beds bad at all.

It is obviously a matter of preference. My husband and I find the beds too hard, and asked for an egg crate as soon as we met our cabin steward, after suffering through our last cruise. My 80 year old parents, who were on the Caribbean Princess with us this past week, said they have never slept so well and thought the beds were fine! (Mind you, we had the beds switched to twin configuration since they ended up in a quad room, and when we first saw the room, it was obvious that with the beds together, and the two upper berths folder against the wall, it would be very difficulty for them to get in and out of bed. you could hardly stand upright since they stuck out from the wall so far. I actually think they slept well since they were in separate beds since they both snore, plus my father usually crowds my mother and my mother steals the covers!)

Sheila

I'll third this opinion. I've been on Princess only 3 times, but I don't find the beds bad at all.

I join with you--out of 15 Princess cruises--we used an egg crate once--I think the answer is asking for the GOOD PILLOWS--the down/feather ones--I have 2 homes both with great beds--have one matress that's 22" thick--only pillow tops will do--

I think that the bed is okay if the pillows are perfect--I need three and it works

Nancy:D

We just returned from the 31 day Asia cruise on the Diamond. I had a backache after the first night and it seemed that DH's side of the bed wasn't as hard. So next night I tried it and it was fine. We decided to look at the mattress and found one of them(the hard one) turned upside down. After turning it over both sides were comfortable.

I think that just maybe, Princess gets the mattresses from the other Carnival Corp cruise lines when they change theirs out. We tried a HAL cruise last time...becasue we wanted to try them, because we heard they had great beds, and because anyone elses' coffee had to be better. Well, the HAL beds were fabulous (compared to foam toppered Princess beds) and the coffee was very good. We will be back on Princess but their beds remain a major turn off for us.

We just returned from the 31 day Asia cruise on the Diamond. I had a backache after the first night and it seemed that DH's side of the bed wasn't as hard. So next night I tried it and it was fine. We decided to look at the mattress and found one of them(the hard one) turned upside down. After turning it over both sides were comfortable.

Maybe thats the trick. Princess needs to find a mattress that is extra firm on one side, soft on the other. ;) ;)

We were on the Grand princess in Feb. of 07 and on the Caribbean Princess last Feb. and the last thing I would call the beds was firm. Both times (more so on the Grand) the matress was relatively soft and saged in the middle alot. It was almost like a hammuck. I understand the fleet has gotten new matresses over the last year or so. Am I to expect them to be hard and but not saggy?

We were on the Grand princess in Feb. of 07 and on the Caribbean Princess last Feb. and the last thing I would call the beds was firm. Both times (more so on the Grand) the matress was relatively soft and saged in the middle alot. It was almost like a hammuck. I understand the fleet has gotten new matresses over the last year or so. Am I to expect them to be hard and but not saggy?

Just back from the Tahitian Princess where our mattress was divine. We had an Owner's Suite so don't know if that made a difference but I had also heard that new deluxe mattresses had been installed in the suites at least and our experience seemed to confirm that. Can't help with regular cabins - sorry.

Archived