Questions about Sailing out of New Orleans

ts548

I am currently flying in to New Orleans at around noon on the same day as departure...set for 5pm on the Grandeur in April. My question is...if we can not fly in the night before...do you think we will have enough time to get to the ship? My travel agent says pier 16 miles away and about 40 minutes. Do you think this is do-able? I know...all has to go smoothly. Your thoughts on this?

You should be OK as long as all goes smoothly. Your TA's right about the distance, it should take less than 40 minutes to get there, but better to be safe than sorry.

My only concern would be weather or other flight problems/delays. MSY is not the largest or busiest airport around and I don't think it is any carrier's hub, so it's not like there are flights every hour on the hour leaving for the city.

I'd make sure to book yourself on one of the first flights out (usually the most likely to be on time) and check your chosen carrier and make sure there are other flights you could catch that day and still arrive on time. That way, if it's cancelled, you can ask to be put on the later flight.

I would make sure to purchase RCI's shuttle transfers to the ship. These are on the large New Orleans Tourist buses, which will get you there. With traffic, the drive is about an hour. If the Saints are playing, game time is about 1 p.m., so traffic will be bad near the Hyatt/Superdome. All that said, you do have enough time to get on board, you just won't have a lot of time to spare.

Bon Voyage

On of my biggest concerns would be if there was a traffic accident on that long bridge you cross. We sat for over an hour the other year going into New Orleans. Luckily, we did not sail until the next day.

Getting "Stuck" in NO because you missed your flight would not be such a bad thing. ("Hey boss. I missed my plane and will being staying here for several more days.")

We where there in 2003, we took a taxi from the airport to the pier with no problems. 40 minutes is on the long side with traffic to get there, ours took about 20 minutes. Enjoy the Granduer, please post a review when you get pack, we will be going again in 2006.

Aren't you departing on a Saturday (or Sunday)? Weekend traffic won't be anywhere near as bad as during the week. You'll make it in plenty of time! (Lived in NO for 13 years)

We'll be sailing on Grandeur 12/11 -- can't wait!! -- but will be driving down.

Archived