daytime diningroom

paws43tails

i know about the dress code for the diningroom during the evening hours for dinner, but what about during the daytime for breakfast and lunch... i've always eaten at the buffet for these early meals because i thought the diningroom always had a dress code... but a post caught my eye that seemed to indicate that the daytime dress wasn't as strict as it used to be in the diningrooms... anyone have any experience with this?

Resort casual is expected in the dining rooms for breakfast and lunch - meaning shorts, flip flops, t shirts, sneakers are ok but no bathing suits unless under shorts and a top. On port days when people are dressing to go ashore, you see just about anything except bathing suits.

The dining room is wonderful for breakfast and lunch. Wear whatever you are already wearing, with the exception of a bathing suit. So many people think the dining room takes too long to eat, so the dining room is usually a lot less crowded than the buffet. Breakfast, for us, is always much faster than battling the buffet, plus the food tastes better when served to you. I'm a definite buffet snob, only go there when I have no other choice.

On Princess, the breakfast and lunch attire in the dining room is much more casual in than at dinner. Shirt and shoes are required, and swimming attire is specifically not allowed. At breakfast especially, many PAX stop on their way to shore excursions so they are often dressed for comfort. For lunch, many are just returning. The menu is often the same as at the buffet, but you don't have to carry food among the crowds while trying to find a table. I think the afternoon tea in the dining room is more formal than breakfast or lunch though.

Please note that some cruiselines do not allow shorts in their dining rooms. E.g. Cunard says "shorts and swimsuits may not be worn in any ship’s restaurant or dining room".

One might consider at least a minimum of dressing up, after all it is still a dining room and not a beach bar.

Hi, Cunard is the only one I have heard about that says no shorts during the day.

Any of the "Mass Market Lines" are ok with shorts during the daytime, Carnival, Royal, HAL, Princess, Celebrity....just to give you a few examples.

I have sailed Celebrity and HAL...you will look fine wearing shorts...breakfast and lunch are always casual.

Please note that when you go to the dining room for breakfast and lunch--sometimes you are given the first table available and wont be sitting at your regualr table. I think the Holida is the only one that you sit at your assigned table for lunch or brekafast.

Archived