Bad Show Royal Caribbean International

TOMANDUNA

Strangely enough, this article, published THE DAY BEFORE THE SCOTTISH RECORD'S ACCOUNT, makes no mention of anything negative about Royal Caribbean:

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/news/LIFESAVER-RAY-GUARDIAN-ANGEL/article-438042-detail/article.html

Lifesaver Ray is guardian angel

Thursday, October 30, 2008, 09:30

A father-of-two has been hailed "an angel" after he rescued a seven-year-old girl from drowning in a swimming pool on a cruise ship.

Ray Galligan jumped into the water when he realised Christina Zecchino was lying motionless at the bottom.

After pulling her out of the water, he performed emergency resuscitation to get her breathing again as her terrified parents looked on.

Ray, from Syston, was on a cruise in the Canary Islands with his wife and two children.

Christina, who had started to turn blue, was rushed off the ship and taken to hospital in Gran Canaria, where she remained in intensive care for 24 hours.

She has now made a full recovery since the incident on Monday last week, but her parents, Val and Dino, from Glasgow, believe she would not be alive today if Ray had not jumped in to save her.

Ray, 45, said: "It's a happy ending, but it might not have been. There were others in the pool, but no-one else noticed.

"She was at the bottom, lying face down. When I jumped in, I expected her to flinch, but there was nothing. It was very scary."

Ray and Tracey, of Tentercroft Avenue, went on the cruise with their daughter Siana-Rae and 16-month-old son Cole, to celebrate their 12th wedding anniversary and renew their vows.

Christina had been playing in the pool with the Siana-Rae, aged five, who alerted her parents when she realised something was wrong.

Val and Dino, who were on the holiday with their other daughter Daniella, nine, were sitting by the pool.

Dino, 37, said: "She was swimming in front of us and she was fine. Then we noticed Ray going in to the pool.

"He came up with Christina and when that happened, we kind of fell to pieces.

"It all happened in a minute – less than that. If it wasn't for Ray, our wee girl wouldn't be here."

Val, 34, said: "Christina's fine now. We're just struggling to cope with the 'what ifs?' We need to stop that, but it's hard. Ray has forever changed our lives. There are no words that can say thank you enough. They are our angels."

Tracey, 38, said her husband has been left traumatised by the incident.

She said: "He had only done a basic first aid course about 20 years ago and he did brilliantly resuscitating her.

"He has been suffering from flashbacks about it since we've been home. He's certainly my hero and I'm so proud of him."

Which is why I always say to make sure you have a high limit credit card with you as well as cruise insurance when you cruise. They do expect payment before you get off the ship. The cruise insurance will reimburse it AFTER the cruise.

This raises a question: DH had a medical bill (only $325) on last cruise, and it will be reimbursed by our trip insurance. But, as you say, it was charged to his seapass card. But what if he had to be airlifted out? We have a high-limit credit card--but not THAT high.

I'm not sure I understand the big deal. If this happened in a hotel pool, and the girl was taken to a hospital, there'd be a bill to pay.

If they were treated poorly, that's wrong for sure.

Do ya think Rubrick should get a bill for the damage to his cabin???

I think lightning struck it.. this time. lol

Strangely enough, this article, published THE DAY BEFORE THE SCOTTISH RECORD'S ACCOUNT, makes no mention of anything negative about Royal Caribbean:

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/news/LIFESAVER-RAY-GUARDIAN-ANGEL/article-438042-detail/article.html

Lifesaver Ray is guardian angel

Thursday, October 30, 2008, 09:30

A father-of-two has been hailed "an angel" after he rescued a seven-year-old girl from drowning in a swimming pool on a cruise ship.

Ray Galligan jumped into the water when he realised Christina Zecchino was lying motionless at the bottom.

After pulling her out of the water, he performed emergency resuscitation to get her breathing again as her terrified parents looked on.

Ray, from Syston, was on a cruise in the Canary Islands with his wife and two children.

Christina, who had started to turn blue, was rushed off the ship and taken to hospital in Gran Canaria, where she remained in intensive care for 24 hours.

She has now made a full recovery since the incident on Monday last week, but her parents, Val and Dino, from Glasgow, believe she would not be alive today if Ray had not jumped in to save her.

Ray, 45, said: "It's a happy ending, but it might not have been. There were others in the pool, but no-one else noticed.

"She was at the bottom, lying face down. When I jumped in, I expected her to flinch, but there was nothing. It was very scary."

Ray and Tracey, of Tentercroft Avenue, went on the cruise with their daughter Siana-Rae and 16-month-old son Cole, to celebrate their 12th wedding anniversary and renew their vows.

Christina had been playing in the pool with the Siana-Rae, aged five, who alerted her parents when she realised something was wrong.

Val and Dino, who were on the holiday with their other daughter Daniella, nine, were sitting by the pool.

Dino, 37, said: "She was swimming in front of us and she was fine. Then we noticed Ray going in to the pool.

"He came up with Christina and when that happened, we kind of fell to pieces.

"It all happened in a minute – less than that. If it wasn't for Ray, our wee girl wouldn't be here."

Val, 34, said: "Christina's fine now. We're just struggling to cope with the 'what ifs?' We need to stop that, but it's hard. Ray has forever changed our lives. There are no words that can say thank you enough. They are our angels."

Tracey, 38, said her husband has been left traumatised by the incident.

She said: "He had only done a basic first aid course about 20 years ago and he did brilliantly resuscitating her.

"He has been suffering from flashbacks about it since we've been home. He's certainly my hero and I'm so proud of him."

Have never read the Leicester Mercury, but have read the Record, which as described previously, is a piece of Tat.

This is a case of 2 newspapers, local to someone involved in the story, sensationalising the story towards the side of the local person. Guy from Leicester is portrayed as a hero, which he obviously is, by his local paper, and the cruise line is portrayed as bad by the near drowning victims local paper.

I tired to find this story in the Southampton Echo, IOTSs local paper, but could see no mention of it.

Parenting is a 24hr job!

This raises a question: DH had a medical bill (only $325) on last cruise, and it will be reimbursed by our trip insurance. But, as you say, it was charged to his seapass card. But what if he had to be airlifted out? We have a high-limit credit card--but not THAT high.

Most air lifts from the ship are done by the USCG and are not charged for. If, after treatment you have to be flown home from the hospital on an air ambulance, then as a non emergency, I would expect payment could be arranged by the Insurance company and the air ambulance prior to the flight.

Please go to attached link for a more details on the incident.

Can anyone exsplain why the cruise ships can opperate without a Pool Lifeguard or even have trained First Aiders available on the Pool decks.

They have signs stating that the pools are unattended and that it is parents responsibility to care for their children. They are not operating a babysitting service at the pools.

I belong to a gym where there is a pool. There is no life guard or attendant poolside. I realise that I swim at my own responsibility and risk. I don't have a problem with that. If someone has a problem don't use the facility.

The cruise ship pools are not rectangular and have many diversions. It would be impossible to supervise the whole area with the number of users and accept responsibility for each and every one. I'm sure there are many qualified first aiders on board.

Seems like al the Doc did was the paperwork. They should have given the passenger that administered cpr an OBC of $717.

Not at all, just taking in all the indepth facts from such destinguished paper.

Well the posted article states:

Christina was rushed to hospital on the island after having first aid treatment from the ship's medical staff.

So that´s why I thought you must have more information than us others, as from the article it sounds like the ships medical staff did more than just paperwork, but of course I wasn´t on scene:rolleyes:

Can anyone exsplain why the cruise ships can opperate without a Pool Lifeguard or even have trained First Aiders available on the Pool decks.

Why shouldn´t they? There´s signs that there´s no lifeguard on duty and you are at own risk.

With the article you posted it seems to me that the parents really did not the best job in watching their daughter.

At no land bound swimming pool a doctor / nurse / hopsital is that nearby like on a cruise ship.

Uksimonasa is right - generally it's the coast guard or military that will step in for an emergency situation. They were actually going to take us to a US air force base in the Bahamas and fly us back to the states on a military transport plane. (or at least that's how I remember them explaining it to me back then)

Our sea pass was $2,800 in medical expenses. She was intebated. She spent 2 days in the ship's medical center. In our case, she was a baby (8 months old) and had seized/stopped breathing in her pack n play. :(

We were lucky enough to have a credit card with a balance low enough to pay that.

I don't know what we would have done otherwise. Of course, at that point I didn't care. ;) I would have called home and gotten the rest if I had to.

I wanted to add something about that pool. If this is the one in the H20 zone, then that thing is DEEP. Deeper than the pools in the Main Sports Pool....which doesn't make alot of sense since it is suppose to be for kids.

I remember the one pool being something like 5' 10". So when my kids were in that area, I sat ON the wall dividing the rest of the H20 zone from that pool. Then my hubby physically followed the kids around.

We had a discussion on the Family Board about a year ago warning parents to be extra careful of that area when it comes to the younger kids...to keep a sharp eye on them because the water is soooo deep. Deeper then it should be but I didn't design the pool. ;)

The wall between the toddler area and the deep pool is just a small step up. So just taking your eyes off the kids for a second could be very bad. :( Especially since kids are pretty darn fast anyway.

So I can see how it could happen. It's just sad that it did. :(

Because it's less expensive! And may bode well for them, liability wise, if they post signs instead of lifeguards.

Best ending to story childs life was saved. Whatever the comments about welfare issues regarding supervision original issue is about timing of bill for treatment. Having reviewed all postings is there a possibility of an emergency arising onboard a doctor arriving and refusing treatment because of insuffient insurance/ ability to pay up front or is it strictly treatment and worry about payment after. If you can't pay after what sort of threat is refusing you to leave the ship? They turn around on arrival leaving day so would have to accommadate you for next cruise racking up costs and possibly causing overbooking of cabins. You have to provide insurance details to enable seapass to be printed on line or at terminal so why don't the cruise lines provide treatment on a pay later when claims paid policy? They accepted the insurance details in the first place.

Best ending to story childs life was saved. Whatever the comments about welfare issues regarding supervision original issue is about timing of bill for treatment. Having reviewed all postings is there a possibility of an emergency arising onboard a doctor arriving and refusing treatment because of insuffient insurance/ ability to pay up front or is it strictly treatment and worry about payment after. If you can't pay after what sort of threat is refusing you to leave the ship? They turn around on arrival leaving day so would have to accommadate you for next cruise racking up costs and possibly causing overbooking of cabins. You have to provide insurance details to enable seapass to be printed on line or at terminal so why don't the cruise lines provide treatment on a pay later when claims paid policy? They accepted the insurance details in the first place.

There is no need to provide insurance details with check-in. You can do that but don´t have to.

Insurance or not they will never deal with the insurance company. IT´s your responsibility to pay the cruise line and get your money back from insurance.

Of course they will provide emergency treatment first, however if it´s not an emergency, from what I´ve read on the boards(no personal experience with medical staff onboard) you need to sign the papers first before seeing the doctor.

No they won´t hold you onboard and sail out with you again, but they might hold you ashore until the bill is settled or at least some sort of agreement signed.

In USA we don't have to have insurance to travel outside the country like those in GB do. I didn't know you all had to do that until reading here on CC - guess it's to keep NHS off the hook financially. We don't have socialized medicine here (thank goodness!) so the government has no interest in whether we have insurance or not when we travel.

In an emergency situation, they provide treatment first - the other details are taken care of later including you (or someone in your party) signing the paperwork that says it will be charged to your seapass account.

If it is a nonemergency case, then you don't see the doctor until you've signed the paperwork, including the agreement that it will go on your seapass.

You then have until the end of the cruise to figure out how to cover your seapass bill (whatever may be on it). If you don't have the funds at the end of the cruise to settle your Seapass account, then I believe RCCL requires you to sign a promissory note before you are allowed to leave the ship.

As to insurance, they've never taken my insurance details when I check in for my cruise, it's not even required to have insurance in the US. And every single time I've been treated in the infirmary they've been upfront about the fact that you are required to pay while on the ship - and you are responsible for filing the claim with your insurance once you get home - they will not submit the claim for you.

Uksimonasa is right - generally it's the coast guard or military that will step in for an emergency situation. They were actually going to take us to a US air force base in the Bahamas and fly us back to the states on a military transport plane. (or at least that's how I remember them explaining it to me back then)

Our sea pass was $2,800 in medical expenses. She was intebated. She spent 2 days in the ship's medical center. In our case, she was a baby (8 months old) and had seized/stopped breathing in her pack n play. :(

We were lucky enough to have a credit card with a balance low enough to pay that.

I don't know what we would have done otherwise. Of course, at that point I didn't care. ;) I would have called home and gotten the rest if I had to.

Michele, wow, that must have been so scary for you and your husband! I can't even imagine being on a ship and something like that happening to a child. She was very lucky and thank God she was okay. Your girls are beautiful - I love the photo album in your signature.

Patty

I think we all agree that it was the little girl's fault for trying to drown herself. Obviously, RCL did exactly what any wonderful, caring, passenger-oriented cruise line would do. I am sure that when Wall Street finds out they collected this $717, the stock will take off based on the contribution to the bottom line.

we brits get FREE medical treatment in hospitals in europe(including canary isles) thanks to our health service and reciprocal agreements! of course on the ships we have to be covered by private holiday insurance which is quite cheap but you often see unsupervised children on holiday. the parents asleep, kids in the pools. are there not pool attendants on cruise ships? thats illegal in many holiday resorts round europe

angelina46

Lifeguards are not provided on the ships and its swim at your own risk. Its a given that a parent should be watching their child around any pool and in this case thank God another guest was watching when the parents should have been the ones taking care of their child. In the U.S. it is common for resorts, hotels and beaches to have swim at your own risk meaning you are completely responsible for yourself and your children just like you are on a ship. Here are the terms as defined by the cruise contracts that we agree to and sign before we board a ship. We are responsible to pay for any and all medical care received on a ship.

4. MEDICAL CARE AND OTHER PERSONAL SERVICES:

a. Availability of Medical Care. Due to the nature of travel by sea and the ports visited, the

availability of medical care onboard the Vessel and in ports of call may be limited or delayed

and medical evacuation may not be possible from the Vessel while at sea or from every

location to which the Vessel sails.

b. Relationship with Service Providers. To the extent Passengers retain the services of medical

personnel or independent contractors on or off the Vessel, Passengers do so at their sole risk.

Any medical personnel attending to a Passenger on or off the Vessel, if arranged by Carrier,

are provided solely for the convenience of the Passenger, work directly for the Passenger, and

shall not be deemed to be acting under the control or supervision of the Carrier, as Carrier is

not a medical provider. Likewise, any onboard concessions (including but not limited to the

gift shops, spas, beauty salon, art program, photography, formalwear concessions) are either

operated by or are independent contractors on board the Vessel, on Transport or elsewhere

and are provided solely for the convenience of Passenger. Even though the Carrier shall be

entitled to charge a fee and earn a profit for arranging such services, all such persons or

entities shall be deemed independent contractors and not acting as agents or representatives

of Carrier. Carrier assumes no liability whatsoever for any treatment, failure to treat,

diagnosis, misdiagnosis, actual or alleged malpractice, advice, examination or other services

provided by such persons or entities. Guest acknowledges that the Vessel’s hair dresser,

manicurist, art auctioneer, gift shop personnel, spa personnel, wedding planners and other

providers of merchandise and personal services are employees of independent contractors and

that Carrier is not responsible for their actions.

c. Payment for Medical or Personal Care Services. Passenger shall pay for all medical care or

other personal services requested or required, whether onboard or ashore, including the cost of

any emergency medical care or transportation incurred by Carrier. If Passenger is unable to

pay and the Carrier pays for such expenses, then Passenger shall reimburse Carrier for those

expenses.

Thanks to both of you. We could handle a significant amount on our credit card at any time, but I had visions of $50,000 or something for medevac.

Thanks to both of you. We could handle a significant amount on our credit card at any time, but I had visions of $50,000 or something for medevac.

Keep in mind, much of the time it is military or others that would to the medivacing but not always. Our friend had a heart attack with in the Caribbean and a private helicopter company was used. They had to give them 10% of the cost up front and in this case it was 2500$. The wife gave her credit card and off they went. They were fully reimbursed and never had to put out another dime as their insurance was fully usable in the St Thomas Hospital.

Archived